Power Outages and Tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

Jan 23rd, '12, 13:50

Power Outages and Tea

by hopeofdawn » Jan 23rd, '12, 13:50

We just recently had a snow/ice storm here in the Seattle area that knocked over tons of trees and powerlines (as well as causing mass havoc on the roads). My power was out for about two and a half days, and by Saturday (when I couldn't escape to work), I was definitely shivering and wishing desperately for a hot cup of tea!

I was caught flatfooted, though, and didn't have so much as a stick of firewood in my place. I ended up going to my local tea shop once they opened to order a pot of tea (and abuse their internet), and boy, that first sip? The BEST tea I've ever had.

Anyone else ever deal with an unexpected spell of tealess-ness? Been desperate enough to boil water for tea over a duraflame log? A bunch of votive candles? :lol:

Jan 23rd, '12, 14:08

Re: Power Outages and Tea

by debunix » Jan 23rd, '12, 14:08

I've been lucky enough to have a gas stove to get me through my last couple of power outages, and to work at campuses with good emergency power supplies.

Jan 23rd, '12, 17:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '12, 17:24

It was a pretty wild Autumn here.

First a record flood with high winds that caused long outages. Then the record October mini blizzard that did in a lot of already weakened trees and caused more and even longer outages.

Living in the country, we have been pretty lucky over the years, but lost power for days both times. Fortunately, we had heated up a lot of water and was able to keep it pretty hot. Then we have a kerosene heater for emergencies. I just popped a pot on top. Fortunately I also purchased kerosene before each outage.

Another day or two, and we would have run out of running water suitable for drinking since we have a well.

So, we lit candles and had tea. Funny though, I cannot remember what we ate ... did we eat?

Jan 24th, '12, 11:11

by hopeofdawn » Jan 24th, '12, 11:11

Chip wrote:So, we lit candles and had tea. Funny though, I cannot remember what we ate ... did we eat?
Wow--you guys definitely had it harder than I did! Of course, sounds like you were better prepared, too--I'm definitely going to lay in some supplies against the next time something like this happens. :) Just out of curiosity, did you use the kerosene stove indoors that entire time, or did you have to shiver outside to boil water for your tea?

Jan 25th, '12, 03:30

by Drae » Jan 25th, '12, 03:30

We just moved to the Seattle area from Pittsburgh, so this was our first Seattle snowstorm. We joked about 3 inches and then didn't bother buying any extra groceries, because that kind of thing is what old biddies in Pittsburgh do. I wish we would've, because while our power didn't go out, it was getting kind of irritating cooking for a cooped up pair of toddlers and husband without bread and milk after 3 days without plows. The rain on top of untended snow is misery.

Glad to see the sun come back a few days later - and hey, today was downright warm!

I can tell you, though, that our throughput of coffee and tea paraphernalia skyrocketed during the cold streak.

+ Post Reply