Who else has this problem?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Apr 25th, '12, 12:18
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Who else has this problem?

by Chip » Apr 25th, '12, 12:18

I have gotten the "weed" snickers from the peanut gallery from time to time. Not recently however. I guess everyong has gotten pretty used seeing me with tea.

However, the worst comment used to come from the same "friend" who would ask if I was drinking pee anytime she saw me drinking Chinese green tea. It was not funny the first time, and it did not get funny with each successive reference. She thought it was quite humorous and would be sure to laugh ... alone albeit.

I guess I am just not into pee humor. :? :roll: :arrow:

Apr 25th, '12, 12:57

by Leo_Blue » Apr 25th, '12, 12:57

Chip, I get the same questions at times from my mother. She will see me with my siblings sharing a new tea or with a bottle of cold brewed Chinese green and ask things like: "Is that pee?", "Why are you carrying a bottle of pee around?", or "Is that sewer water? Looks like pee." This is a main reason why I offer to take my siblings over to my apartment now rather than take the tea over there. (That and I don't have to pack up all my teaware.)

I guess this thread is just turning into "What do non-tea drinking peoples ask you when they see your tea?"

Apr 25th, '12, 13:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 25th, '12, 13:20

I guess we could say, "this is my pee drug test." And then gulp it down and proclaim, "AHHHHH!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

This might have the added benefit of causing someone to faint from shock. :idea: :wink:

May 28th, '12, 00:25

by Missdekitty » May 28th, '12, 00:25

I've had a couple people ask me if my tea was some sort of potpourri that I was making....

Jun 8th, '12, 03:09

by Kalmal » Jun 8th, '12, 03:09

Haha I'm right here in Utah with you! I feel your pain :P But I've tried introducing and educating people about tea. Unfortunately most of them end up at the local Teavana store though... or they say it's gross and then tell me they brew green tea in a bag at 212°F for 5 minutes.. I tell them that's their problem, but they don't believe me.. ugh.

Jun 8th, '12, 05:21
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Jun 8th, '12, 05:21

Leo_Blue wrote:"Is that pee?", "Why are you carrying a bottle of pee around?", or "Is that sewer water? Looks like pee."
Amazing how rude people can be, out of ignorance. :shock:

Personally, I've never had people ask stupid things about my tea, one time customs opened a packet of aged oolong before it was delivered to me, wonder what they thought when they saw it.
(and then they put it back in the bag and wrapped the bag completely with packing tape, took me ages to open the bags and I still had tea balls stick to the darn tape :evil: )

Jun 8th, '12, 05:50

by Leo_Blue » Jun 8th, '12, 05:50

@Kalmal Yeah, most of my coworkers either have no idea what loose leaf tea is or they shop at Teavana. I have tried to convert some people over, but so far no real luck. It's cool that there's another Utah tea lover on here, we seem to be a very rare bunch here.

@Sriracha Customs horror stories always make me grit my teeth. :? Luckily my main group of friends and family have mostly accepted (read, grown tired of making fun of) my "odd" hobby.

Jun 8th, '12, 05:52

by robbie_olive » Jun 8th, '12, 05:52

Could you perhaps move to another state that's more tea-friendly?

Thank goodness I don't live in such an ignorant society! Living in a country where having a cup of tea is practically a national pasttime, I'm pleased to say I have never (and I hope never) encountered such hostility to tea.

Jun 8th, '12, 05:54

by Leo_Blue » Jun 8th, '12, 05:54

robbie_olive wrote:Could you perhaps move to another state that's more tea-friendly? Thank goodness I don't live in such an ignorant society! Living in a country where having a cup of tea is practically a national pasttime, I'm pleased to say I have never (and I hope never) encountered such hostility to tea.
Actually long before my tea loving days started I always dreamed of moving to the Northwest (Washington or Oregon). Later on I learned that there are a lot of tea lovers and tea vendors in that area. Which means that once my degree is complete I will have few reasons not to move to that area.

Jun 8th, '12, 06:20
Location: Lat: N 59º 37' 3.79" Long: E 17º 49' 35.49" or thereabouts

by sriracha » Jun 8th, '12, 06:20

If I ever make a trip to the US I'd like to visit Seattle and Floating Leaves. =)

Jun 8th, '12, 08:28
Scrolling: fixed

by TawnyKira » Jun 8th, '12, 08:28

I live in Northern Alabama & people typically look at me like I'm a crazy person if I talk about loose leaf tea. As if tea originated in those little paper bags they get at the supermarket! Plus, most people only drink super sweet, iced Lipton around here, so the concept of a hot tea is a little weird to them in the first place. My teapot and I get lonely around here lol

Jun 8th, '12, 17:33

by iannon » Jun 8th, '12, 17:33

TawnyKira wrote:I live in Northern Alabama & people typically look at me like I'm a crazy person if I talk about loose leaf tea. As if tea originated in those little paper bags they get at the supermarket! Plus, most people only drink super sweet, iced Lipton around here, so the concept of a hot tea is a little weird to them in the first place. My teapot and I get lonely around here lol
Same issue for me here in East Tennessee..I am the Oddity..

Jun 8th, '12, 18:53
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Jun 8th, '12, 18:53

I feel most of the time lack of knowledge of tea is not a major source of problem. Lack of consideration or respect is the real problem. For example, the "pee test" joke, would the same person joke to his/her boss in that way? If not, why to a coworker or somebody else. Such jokes between intimate friends are probably ok, but that's only if the person being joked at feels it funny too.

Jun 8th, '12, 22:45

by Kalmal » Jun 8th, '12, 22:45

@Leo_Blue, yeah it's always nice to meet a fellow tea drinker here in Utah. :)

Mar 6th, '13, 13:53

by Muadeeb » Mar 6th, '13, 13:53

Mormonism forbids caffeine, so tea, coffee, and many sodas are a no-no. My personal experience is as a frequent flyer with layovers in Salt Lake City. I walk into the sky club and they keep the tea bags behind the bar so that they're not self serve. You have to ask the bartender for one.

Telling your co-workers that the active ingredients in weed aren't water soluble and would not produce the intended effect would probably make them even more suspicious of you. At every office job I've had in the past 10 years, I've converted folks to tea from coffee and was known as the "tea pusher". I always responded by saying that the first one's free.

+ Post Reply