What's equivalent to good old Lipton's?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

May 15th, '13, 11:59

What's equivalent to good old Lipton's?

by KOJohnson » May 15th, '13, 11:59

I'd like to find a tea, loose or bagged, that tastes like Lipton's teabags used to taste before they stopped using leaves and started filling them with fannings and dust. Of course the company just sends circular responses to any inquiry. Anybody know of any more-or-less equivalent in flavor and texture? Thanks!

May 15th, '13, 13:39

Re: What's equivalent to good old Lipton's?

by MEversbergII » May 15th, '13, 13:39

I am pretty sure that Lipton uses Ceylon tea fannings in their current bags.

M.

May 15th, '13, 14:47

by teaisme » May 15th, '13, 14:47

haven't tried this but should be good
http://www.teatrekker.com/teas/ceylon-l ... ea-factory

May 16th, '13, 08:32

by KOJohnson » May 16th, '13, 08:32

MEversbergII wrote:I am pretty sure that Lipton uses Ceylon tea fannings in their current bags.

M.
That's why they're different. Where can one find something like their original blend, made with real leaves?

May 16th, '13, 08:33

by KOJohnson » May 16th, '13, 08:33

teaisme wrote:haven't tried this but should be good
http://www.teatrekker.com/teas/ceylon-l ... ea-factory
If you haven't tried it, how do you know that it's the same?

May 16th, '13, 10:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 16th, '13, 10:44

Hmmm, I am honestly not endeavoring to be a smart azz, and I can assure you that my advice is sincere.

I have heard this similar tune maybe hundreds of times since I have been around TeaChat. Trying to reproduce a past experience with a long gone tea. I too have been there and done that and with disappointments abound.

What experience has taught me it is often simply best to move on and perhaps explore similar origin teas, etc. There is a whole world of teas out there with seemingly infinite selections available.

Last time I read, Lipton used Ceylon (Sri Lankan) and Kenyan as base for its teas ... but if you are going back more than 5 years, Ceylon was likely the base. You might want to try exploring black teas from this origin. Upton Tea Imports likely has a very large selection from which to choose.

However keep in mind that teas from Ceylon can be quite variable as some are high grown, some low grown, etc. I remember they had a selection simply called "OP" that was actually very affordable and good.

Good luck on your TeaJourney and may it never land you in a final destination! :mrgreen:

May 16th, '13, 13:00
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 16th, '13, 13:00

KO, I agree w/ Chip's advice & add: talk w/ Upton on the phone for this one, if you still want to try to duplicate that tea

May 16th, '13, 13:26

by teaisme » May 16th, '13, 13:26

yeah that's why I said it should be good, I didn't say it would taste the exact same

just offering you a likely improvement that might remind you of old liptons but add a few extra layers of goodness :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply