Jul 12th, '13, 15:12

Looking for resources / info on seasonal teas and harvests

by IzzieBot » Jul 12th, '13, 15:12

Hey all,
I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction to find information out about major harvesting seasons and the different types and qualities of teas that result from different times of the year?

I currently have fairly limited knowledge - I know that darjeeling comes in flushes and the best green tea comes in spring but that's about it.

I'm hoping to put together a newbie-friendly calendar for planning purchases and such.

My google-fu is lacking!
Thanks =D

Jul 12th, '13, 21:45

Re: Looking for resources / info on seasonal teas and harvests

by MIKE_B » Jul 12th, '13, 21:45

Jul 15th, '13, 13:45

by IzzieBot » Jul 15th, '13, 13:45

THanks. I definitely saw that one, but it seems limited to chinese tea production and harvest.

I've done some more research and found more so I think I should be good. THanks though

Jul 25th, '13, 21:26

by John Delaney » Jul 25th, '13, 21:26

IzzieBot,

I think the best way to look at this question is to look at by the type of tea and the orgin country.

But as a rule of thumb here are a few things to help you along:

There are a few countries that can have year round harvests like in Sumatra, Java, etc.

However, most of the harvest for teas do tend to be in the Spring (March, April, and May) and they can have a secondary harvest depending on the tea on into June. Some teas even have an Autumnal harvest like Darjeelings. A big factor in what additional harvests they will have depends on the weather conditions (monsoon seasons, length of winter season, etc.).

But the short answer is normally the best harvests for teas are in the Spring as they get more nutrients stored up from the Winter season. So when in doubt, think Spring.

+ Post Reply