The best water for tea

For general/other topics related to tea.

May 20th, '14, 04:57

Re: The best water for tea

by Tead Off » May 20th, '14, 04:57

ethan wrote:home after 3 months of using r.o. water to make tea; I have had 2 days of tea made w/ Poland Springs water. Tea is so much better. I had wrongly believed that I had taken care of my tea poorly while traveling or it had finally gotten flat from its age--- no, it was reverse osmosis-- good for removing contaminants from water & flavor from tea!
Why would you use RO water when every market here in Thailand has cheap mineral waters?

May 20th, '14, 09:04
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 20th, '14, 09:04

Teadoff, I bought the r.o. water because it is only 1 baht (3 USA cents) a liter. Truth is, that I usally had 1 or 2 empty 1-liter bottles in my bag, in case I saw a machine that had some water available for free. (Some people pay for more than they take.) I did not go to Thailand w/ enough $. I relied on selling jewelry & figures of jade & petrified wood bought in early February in Mae Sot to get me through the last half of my stay.
I sold almost nothing Feb. & Mar. (in Chiangmai) so began penny-pinching. Sales improved my last weeks (in Pattaya). I did stop carrying the empty bottles but kept buying the r.o. The Jun Chiyabari oolong is so good that w/ r.o. H2O, it was still one of the best teas I've had. Once I had it w/ decent spring water, I realized how much I had "cheapened" the tea.
I learned my lesson. I won't use the wrong water again for sure. I am not so sure that I will travel w/ enough $.

May 20th, '14, 09:35

by Tead Off » May 20th, '14, 09:35

Where can you buy a litre of water for 1 baht? Certainly not a sealed bottle in a store.

May 20th, '14, 11:46
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 20th, '14, 11:46

The cities that do have them seem to have them everywhere. Pattaya is "expensive". Chiangmai's normal price is half a baht a liter, while some other cities give 1.25 or 1.5 liters for a baht. I don't stay in Bangkok; so, I don't know what gives there. Mae Sot does not have the machines. The machines are usually light blue & the size of an old Coke machine.

May 20th, '14, 13:47

by Tead Off » May 20th, '14, 13:47

ethan wrote:The cities that do have them seem to have them everywhere. Pattaya is "expensive". Chiangmai's normal price is half a baht a liter, while some other cities give 1.25 or 1.5 liters for a baht. I don't stay in Bangkok; so, I don't know what gives there. Mae Sot does not have the machines. The machines are usually light blue & the size of an old Coke machine.
Ah, I wouldn't dream of using that stuff for tea. But, I guess on your budget, it works. :D

In India, you can find public filtered water for free. Another no no for making tea.

+ Post Reply