Storage - small quantities

For general/other topics related to tea.

Postby Noonie » Nov 27th, '13, 10:19

I searched the threads but didn't quite find what I was looking for so I've started a new thread...

I mainly drink green (sencha) and oolong (wu yi, tgy). I buy 50-100g of a variety of each, and I drink them over 2-3 months. I usually have 5-8 different teas open at one time. Some of the teas come in re-sealable foil bags, and others (recent purchases from o-cha and dragon th) come in 100g bags that are not re-sealable...with these I've been rolling the bag down and pushing air out, and putting a clip on the bag. Is this enough to preserve the freshness (to a point, I'm not anal about this)?

Or, are their other storage ideas...like buying re-sealable foil bags, tins, etc.

Thanks.
Noonie

Re: Storage - small quantities

Postby MIKE_B » Nov 27th, '13, 11:02

I'm keeping my open bags from O-cha exactly the same as you. I keep them out of the kitchen away from any odors they could pick up and I try to drink them fairly quickly.
Oolongs I'll let sit around much longer.
I have a very small chest of draws I use for my teas. Each draw for a different type of tea.
MIKE_B

Postby mcrdotcom » Nov 27th, '13, 12:37

I keep my tea like this (but with Sellotape) if it's non resealable! I have some tea in glass jars too... Basically I wash the jar with boiling water, then I brew a tiny amount of tea in it, rinse it, and dry it in an oven, then when it's cooled I pour the leaves in and cut the bag up so I can Sellotape it around the jar to keep UV light out :)

Edit: I brew tea in it to eliminate odours seeping into the tea, if the jar smells like the tea that's going in, it's all good :)
mcrdotcom

Postby Chip » Nov 27th, '13, 14:18

For tea such as sencha that can have flavor degradation pretty quickly, I split the bag in half or even quarters. Then I use one divided bag at a time. This prevents the constant opening of the 100 grammer.
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby Noonie » Nov 27th, '13, 15:23

Chip wrote:For tea such as sencha that can have flavor degradation pretty quickly, I split the bag in half or even quarters. Then I use one divided bag at a time. This prevents the constant opening of the 100 grammer.

I had two smaller re-sealable bags and did this with my sencha. I'll use those bags for sencha and leave the open/re-open for oolong.

Thanks.
Noonie

Postby JRS22 » Nov 27th, '13, 15:45

I bought a batch of sample tins from Upton. Three fit in a washi canister and hold 100 grams of Japanese greens. That way, as with Chip's split bags, I'm only exposing a third of the bag to light and air at any one time.
JRS22

Postby Chip » Nov 27th, '13, 15:47

JRS22 wrote:I bought a batch of sample tins from Upton. Three fit in a washi canister and hold 100 grams of Japanese greens. That way, as with Chip's split bags, I'm only exposing a third of the bag to light and air at any one time.

Exactly! :mrgreen:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby JRS22 » Nov 28th, '13, 11:15

Chip wrote:
JRS22 wrote:I bought a batch of sample tins from Upton. Three fit in a washi canister and hold 100 grams of Japanese greens. That way, as with Chip's split bags, I'm only exposing a third of the bag to light and air at any one time.

Its entirely possible I got this idea from you!
JRS22

Postby Chip » Nov 28th, '13, 11:22

JRS22 wrote:
Chip wrote:

Its entirely possible I got this idea from you!

Yep, I believe you did. :lol:
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby ClarG » Dec 1st, '13, 02:25

I store small amounts of tea in the canisters that they come in, or if they're larger than a canister I put them into a Mason jar that I keep away from light and in a place that is not too hot or too cold.
ClarG

Instant Messenger

Permissions