Jan 23rd, '14, 22:22

Re: How much tea is too much to drink in a day?

by Ursinos » Jan 23rd, '14, 22:22

AdamMY wrote:That article has been posted before, but there are several things to keep in mind:

1. 100 teabags is likely 150-300 grams of tea if not more.
2. those tea leaves are highly broken up, which causes everything to leach quicker.
3. the leaves in tea bags are typically more mature than the leaves purchased for loose leaf teas. More mature leaves tend to have a higher flouride content than the younger leaves.

There are likely others that I am missing but simply looking into those, I am not sure there is anyone on the forum who on a regular basis goes through even 150 grams of tea a day on any sort of regular basis. Because for the most part we get multiple steeps and drink leaves to completion, which mitigates certain items like the amount of flouride or other nutrients we can get from the tea leaves. Adding the other two into the mix is just adding insult to injury.

Again that is not to say that you can and should always drink more tea, but similar articles can be written for nearly any food item in which one person takes it to an extreme. For instance people who eat nothing but carrots for months on end can develop an unnatural skin color.

It probably has been said in this thread before: Somethings are bad in relatively small amounts, other things are healthy in large amounts, but everything has the point to where it can become dangerous.
Considering I was getting chest pains from home-made Iced-Tea made with a mere 10 bags per 2L of water (yes, oversteeped, but still), each day for all of 3 months, I REALLY can't imaging tea made with 100 teabags. I mean, holy crap on a cracker!

Jan 23rd, '14, 23:55

by debunix » Jan 23rd, '14, 23:55

AdamMY wrote:even 150 grams of tea a day
I drink many ounces of tea daily, but brew that up from maybe 10-15 grams a day (and on a 15 gram day, I'm almost certainly sharing a lot of that tea with others).

Jan 24th, '14, 00:10

by AdamMY » Jan 24th, '14, 00:10

debunix wrote:
AdamMY wrote:even 150 grams of tea a day
I drink many ounces of tea daily, but brew that up from maybe 10-15 grams a day (and on a 15 gram day, I'm almost certainly sharing a lot of that tea with others).
Yeah I should have been more clear in that statement, even in marathon tea sessions with at least one other person, in which I felt I drank a massive amount of tea, I would be shocked if that was much more than 50 grams of tea spread out over 4-7 different teas. I do know that there are some rather heavy hitters on the forum so to speak, but at least from the photos I have seen, if they ever hit a 100 gram day they are likely sharing with several others, so it is not all them. But if there is someone on the forum that say once a week, or even once a month has such a day it would be news to me.

Jan 24th, '14, 07:00

by Teaism » Jan 24th, '14, 07:00

The quantity is relative and different amongst different individual. I believe all things should be done in moderation, although I have to test tea by barrels sometimes.

The quality of the tea is also very important. Some tea has e.g. late autumn bushes tea may contain six times more fluoride than the spring tea. A session of those tea would overshot the level of RDA for fluoride consumption.

Jan 24th, '14, 11:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 24th, '14, 11:34

I cannot imagine this from even the caffeine aspect. I have in the past gotten the jitters from 15-20 grams of tea. I learned very quickly how to regulate tea consumption.

For someone to do this, something else must have come into play ... medically or psychologically or whatever. A healthy, mentally healthy person would simply not do this and repeat the action over and over ... or is this some kind of urban legend ...

Jan 24th, '14, 12:18

by MEversbergII » Jan 24th, '14, 12:18

I gave myself a caffeine overdose once, complete with mild hallucinations, pain, constant urge to urinate...but that was all from non-tea sources.

Not something I'd ever repeat!

M.

Jan 26th, '14, 03:16

by teaisme » Jan 26th, '14, 03:16

as with anything with medicinal qualities, I would not over do it
Sure you may drink 3-4 liters a day and not feel any effects but how about in 5, 10, 15 years?

I imagine issues that would be more common due to overconsumption would be renal related

Some things I like to consider besides just guantity of leaf or liquid...quality, how fast you drink, how empty your stomach is, how cold the tea is, how cold you are situation specific and body constitution wise, brew strength due to parameters, brew strength related to the nature of the tea, how hydrated you already are before you start drinking etc

It is my opinion that if you drink tea or any liquid everyday to the point of having to go to the bathroom constantly every 30 minutes you are overdoing it, your body is an amazing thing but things can break down with too much use

Jan 26th, '14, 16:23

by debunix » Jan 26th, '14, 16:23

I drink tea when I'm thirsty, and if I've been exercising and have prepared some cool-brewed tea, I will drink some of that as well as plain water, because it's hard to brew enough to keep up with big thirst on hot days. Those would be the days when I might get up to 3 liters or more. The quantity of water involved is entirely within healthy consumption levels for someone with normal kidney function--not visits to the bathroom every 20 minutes.

But the higher the volume that I drink, the more dilute the tea is, so it's still only 10-20 grams of leaf a day. I'm not drinking 3 liters of expresso-concentrated puerh.

Jan 27th, '14, 21:28

by yalokinh » Jan 27th, '14, 21:28

even with a small mate gourd (4oz), you'll put about 20-30g of tea in there. the trick is to not drink it in the same hour haha, its an all day thing.

Jan 27th, '14, 21:46

by JBaymore » Jan 27th, '14, 21:46

WARNING

My AVG antivirus lit up when I clicked on the second link in tecnanaut's posting about floride in cheap tea.

best,

...................john

+ Post Reply