Feb 16th, '14, 16:28

Does putting milk into tea blunt the health effects of tea?

by ClarG » Feb 16th, '14, 16:28

I've read articles that said that putting milk into tea does and does not blunt or get rid of the health effects that you get from drinking tea. Which one is correct?

Feb 16th, '14, 20:50

Re: Does putting milk into tea blunt the health effects of tea?

by umijoshi » Feb 16th, '14, 20:50

Why would it? You're not taking anything away, you're only adding.

Feb 16th, '14, 21:03

by AdamMY » Feb 16th, '14, 21:03

umijoshi wrote:Why would it? You're not taking anything away, you're only adding.
It all depends on what you consider health effects, and I would suggest the OP keep reading the articles and decide for themselves, as it really does seem to be up for debate. But there has been studies that have shown that compounds in milk bind to some compounds in tea that some consider to be healthy compounds, and studies suggest that this binding process removes our bodies ability to utilize those compounds from the tea.

Again I am far from versed in the science on this, I have just read general synopsis's of the articles. I honestly haven't cared too much about it, because I like to appreciate many things in as pure a form as possible, and don't like mixing items into my teas, or coffee, etc.

Feb 17th, '14, 00:25
Vendor Member

by ethan » Feb 17th, '14, 00:25

What's funny is that the anti-oxidants that are "bound" by the milk & thus lose their quality, are now being questioned as being beneficial at all. Like most "discoveries' (bee pollen, ginseng, etc. etc.)... time shows it is all bull... Usually, there is $ to be made or it fits into some pleasing pattern (like lazy cooks flavoring everything w/ garlic because it was said to be good for the heart--another one debunked)

Feb 17th, '14, 01:58

by wyardley » Feb 17th, '14, 01:58

I agree with the post above. I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about either tea's health benefits, or whether the milk that I don't put in my tea would or wouldn't enhance them.

I think if you're brewing good quality tea, and brewing it in a way that suits your tastes, it shouldn't require anything in the way of additives.

Feb 17th, '14, 06:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Feb 17th, '14, 06:22

This discussion reminds me of the studies that decades ago suggested that tea caused cancer (yes, you read that correctly). I'll have to track those down at some point to share.... :D
天下がもっと広ければお互いぶつかり合うことはなかったろうに

Feb 18th, '14, 09:03

by MEversbergII » Feb 18th, '14, 09:03

ethan wrote:What's funny is that the anti-oxidants that are "bound" by the milk & thus lose their quality, are now being questioned as being beneficial at all. Like most "discoveries' (bee pollen, ginseng, etc. etc.)... time shows it is all bull... Usually, there is $ to be made or it fits into some pleasing pattern (like lazy cooks flavoring everything w/ garlic because it was said to be good for the heart--another one debunked)
Yepyep. There's more to tea than anti-oxidants that got +'s from the "health community"; they're still on trial. Anti-Ox's however, are bunk. Well, they're bunk for preventing cancer and the like - they still have actual functions (food preservation for example).

Now, unless it's crappy milk (looking at you filled milk), milk's pretty good to drink. On occasion I like to mix strongly brewed black tea, honey and milk for a desert.

M.

Feb 25th, '14, 11:19

by Fuut » Feb 25th, '14, 11:19

Basically, drinking good quality tea's is always better than a coke, on topic; i suppose we have to wait for the science to catch up with 2000+ year traditions.
Axel

https://qualitychanoyu.com/ Semper ubi sub ubi

+ Post Reply