miang, Thai tea for eating +/or chewing

For general/other topics related to tea.

miang, Thai tea for eating +/or chewing

Postby ethan » Mar 17th, '14, 01:57

Finally, tried miang. There is a village not too far away from the city of Chiangmai that is devoted to growing tea and using it for this "treat" and to stuff pillows.
There are a few choices for the stuffing: one can have salty or sweet, etc. The once common use of betal for a chewing preparation (that Jayink might like) is not so common. I chose an edible variety presenting a few flavors together.
It was not disgusting, but not for me. Very chewy & w/ predominant taste of tea.
After this and tea chocolates earlier in the year, I tea is for drinking only (for me).
ethan

Re: miang, Thai tea for eating +/or chewing

Postby jayinhk » Mar 17th, '14, 04:06

Ethan,

That sounds very interesting! I had no idea they chewed tea up north. I will have to check that out at some point!

Yes, I do like chewing betel, but I find in Thailand it's easier to source through the Nepalese community since they have their own guys making it and delivering it. Got some through the Nepalese vendors in Phuket a few years ago when they were getting their delivery (2-3x a day they get it delivered to their stalls) and they were very amused, and gave me betel smiles. lol
jayinhk

Re: miang, Thai tea for eating +/or chewing

Postby Tead Off » Mar 17th, '14, 05:00

The best tea eating for me was in Myanmar where pickled tea leaves adorn most tables. I haven't seen this elsewhere. In Northern Thailand, around Mae Salong, the Yunnanese restaurants serve Tea Salad which is okay, but the pickled stuff is my favorite.
Tead Off
Vendor Member

Instant Messenger

Permissions