A ? about attending world tea expo

For general/other topics related to tea.

May 2nd, '14, 02:42
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 2nd, '14, 02:42

I wonder how interesting it is to be at the world tea expo w/ a pass only for visiting the exhibitor booths.
Are many teas available for tasting? Are the people at the booths helpful, knowledgible etc.?
Any input from those who have gone is appreciated.

May 2nd, '14, 03:09
Vendor Member

Re: A ? about attending world tea expo

by ethan » May 2nd, '14, 03:09

I forgot to add. I did re-read the thread about the event in 2013, but not many people contributed to it; & hearing how people who did feel & think about the expo one year later is helpful.

May 2nd, '14, 14:18

by teaformeplease » May 2nd, '14, 14:18

I'll be going this year with a press pass for my tea blog so I'll definitely report back. It's important to note that this is an industry only trade show and general public are not permitted to attend. Most of the exhibitors are wholesalers that are looking for retailers to carry their products. I have a feeling that there may be a lack of interest in giving samples, tastings or information if you are not someone who could be a potential customer.

I did hear several complaints last year about their co-locating with the Healthy Beverage Expo. It's pushed heavily on all of the tea folks who are really just interested in tea. I was on the press pass email list last year and I was contacted by so many companies that weren't even tea related. You like tea so that means you'll love our aloe vera water :P

May 2nd, '14, 21:18
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 2nd, '14, 21:18

thanks, teaformeplease.
that'ss helpful

May 6th, '14, 08:36

by MEversbergII » May 6th, '14, 08:36

Are there any tea expo's open to us lowly tea lovers? I'd thought the one in HK held during August was, but maybe I'm wrong.

M.

May 17th, '14, 09:07
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » May 17th, '14, 09:07

I went last year as a "purchaser" and it's an interesting grab bag. Chinese tea outnumbers everything quite heavily. Their are a lot of samples to drink. Not that much to take home and brew. If you express a lot of interest you may get something you can take home and brew. You will encounter a range from flavored assams to puerh out of most mortals budget. You will also experience a range of knowledge from "it's tea" to exact registered varietal name and numbers. Of course the main goal is to sell you a large quantity of mostly commercial grade tea. (Nearly every Chinese distributor told me they are the "biggest distributor" in china and "number 1 in china"). Their were some nice Japanese and Korean teas to be had but I felt they were largely under represented. Very little tea ware.... Can't think of much else other than whatever you do stay far away from the granulated instant puerh that many vendors are handing out. That stuff is awful.

May 17th, '14, 11:53
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 17th, '14, 11:53

blairswhitaker, "granulated instant pu-erh" that's funny. In Thailand & Laos Chinese people have told me about "best" teas from the best places. On the Western border of Thailand, I have been offered instant 3 in 1 tea from Myanmar ("the best country for tea in the world") & in other areas "the best" comes from whatever "best" country is closest. 3 in 1 is tea powder, artificial creamer, & sugar. (3 in 1 coffee is often praised also).
When instant coffee was new, my mother thought it was superior & preferred it for years, until she had a coffee maker that was not a stove-top percolator. There is no $20 machine for easy good tea preparation similar to Mr. Coffeef to bring the world away from individual bags etc.

+ Post Reply