Chinese vs Japanese green teas and health

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 12th, '14, 02:09

Chinese vs Japanese green teas and health

by MercifulFate » Aug 12th, '14, 02:09

Hi all, I am new to the world of tea, and became interested for the great health benefits. I bought a gaiwan and many Chinese teas which I enjoy very much. Of the few teas I have tried, I like Chinese tea better, I drink my Tieguanyin every day. But this may just be because the Chinese tea seems easier to make tasate well.
However, I am aware of the insane amount of radiation coming out of Japan and I have began to wonder if that might affect the teas in the area.

Sorry if that may have been irrelevant, I am tired lol. But my main concern is if one country produces healthier tea than the other, with less pesticides and pollution.
Feel free to share other thoughts on Chinese vs Japanese tea as well, as this is a topic I enjoy learning.

Thank you in advance :)

Aug 12th, '14, 09:04

Re: Chinese vs Japanese green teas and health

by Poseidon » Aug 12th, '14, 09:04

From what people who live in Japan have said, the radiation isnt as bad as it sounds.

Check out this thread about radiation in japan. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... n+in+japan

As for green tea preferences, I will pick japanese greens 4/5 times. Chinese greens are alright but in my expierence (not very long mind you) Japanese green are far superior in flavor and freshness.

Aug 13th, '14, 05:11

by chrl42 » Aug 13th, '14, 05:11

It's about a method of making..

Steaming (Japanese) does give a tea fresher value and greener color.

Pan-frying (Chinese) gives a tea better finished looks..

about overall quality..it's just about preference :D

Aug 13th, '14, 13:29
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 13th, '14, 13:29

I enjoy both equally and I'm glad I have ready access to both! :D

Most of the radiation in Japan is spreading outward into the Pacific Ocean...not good for the ocean or marine life at all. China has huge problems with pesticides. There are certified organic teas in China, but if they're certified within China I'm still a little skeptical. I still drink both though.

Aug 26th, '14, 08:02

by Wout » Aug 26th, '14, 08:02

About radiation: tea's close too Fukushima have had some effect. But at the moment there are a lot of test's in place for the faintest amount of radiation and not much is being found anymore.(These tests test for example a fraction of what i used to take pictures at the dentist)

About Chinese versus Japanese it really depends on the tea your drinking ,Both have all sorts of quality of tea. In general Japanese tea is steam versus the roasting of Chinese tea. Lot of people say steaming brings out the debt of the tea better. But I’d say it really depends on preference.

+ Post Reply