Something to get off my chest!

For general/other topics related to tea.

Nov 28th, '14, 22:45

Something to get off my chest!

by heliospace » Nov 28th, '14, 22:45

Hey guys,

Okay, I should make a whiny face icon or something here. I see some tea aficionados really writing flavor profiles out in full length detail per each steep. I often think "wow, some people get really complex in their descriptions." And then I sit at my tea table, staring onward, waiting for the next pot to brew and then I pour it, and then pour it again, and then I drink it. And wow, does it taste great. But... flavor profiles. I smoked for many years. I wonder if my taste buds are bad, or something. I fail to describe tea in such rich words (descriptive words). I do not fail, however, at enjoying the tea, and loving the taste of it. Just thought I'd share my inner thoughts on the matter. Your thoughts?

Cheers!

Nov 29th, '14, 03:14

Re: Something to get off my chest!

by BW85 » Nov 29th, '14, 03:14

I'm the same way. I prefer not to spend effort naming flavor notes of a tea. It distracts me from feeling and experiencing the tea.
I also think tea reviews that focus on flavor descriptions are kind of silly*... Taste is too subjective

*overly specific and descriptive flavors that is. Obviously bitter/sweet/floral/dry and the like are more universal :D

Nov 29th, '14, 07:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Nov 29th, '14, 07:42

I look at such reviews as poetry -- a person who loves writing is attempting to capture his or her tea experience in (sometimes shockingly in-depth) detail.

Personally, I don't bother reading such reviews anymore for information on the tea. The reviewer is describing things in such detail that the experience likely contains things unique to the reviewer. Flavors are evoking images and memories from that person's own life. Such descriptions are often lovely to read. I have sometimes used them to try to understand a different perspective on a tea. But the more descriptive reviews are, the more I usually find myself saying "Nope, I don't get any of that."

Now, at the same time, it wouldn't hurt to try to see if you can identify a bit more complexity in your tea (again, ignore the other reviews, and find your own words for flavors). If your taste buds start with a certain judgment, can you give it any further definition, texture, feeling, etc?

Nov 29th, '14, 10:05

by bonescwa » Nov 29th, '14, 10:05

Or you can use tea to disengage yourself from the western process of obsessive classification and judgement ;)

Nov 29th, '14, 11:12
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 29th, '14, 11:12

I enjoy beer/tea/wine reviews...sometimes other reviewers pick up on flavors that I've picked up on, and sometimes many more. Sometimes when I read about some random flavor note, I taste the beverage again and I find it! Many times i don't. It's interesting to see how everyone's palate differs.

Nov 29th, '14, 11:37

by miig » Nov 29th, '14, 11:37

If you love the taste of it, your tastebuds can't be so bad :)
It can be learned to analyze (=break up into small parts) and describe taste.

But like Drax said so eloquently, these reviews describe personal experiences, and not "the tea as such". I can only speak for me, but the more attention I devote to small details, the more I lose the big picture.

So if I want to really describe a tea in detail, I see the whole session as a descriptive session - I'll be so occupied thinking about the tea and how I put that into words that I won't be able to really experience the tea. It can be worth it, sometimes I drink a special tea and would like to describe that experience to other people, then I would do that. But usually, If I really want to fully experience a tea, the less I think, the more I get out of it.

Don't get me wrong please - I love reading tea reviews and discussions about details, clay types, ways of storage, was of preparation, you name it... its nice to do that, like its nice to write and read reviews, to compare impressions and all that.
But sometimes that can conceal the fact that the only thing that really matters is to have a good time drinking tea. Thats the core, the center, the essence. Everything else is peripheral.

Nov 29th, '14, 12:08

by debunix » Nov 29th, '14, 12:08

I enjoy reading descriptions of flavors, and trying to understand and describe what I'm tasting when writing about a tea. I do not expect to experience exactly the session someone else describes, but trying to see if I can find notes of fruit or mushrooms or peas can broaden my experience of a tea. I do not try to analyze every session this way, but when I have the time, it can add to my pleasure.

If it frustrates you, I see no reason for you to persevere in the exercise unless you're trying to become a sommelier of tea.

Nov 29th, '14, 20:08

Re:

by BW85 » Nov 29th, '14, 20:08

bonescwa wrote:Or you can use tea to disengage yourself from the western process of obsessive classification and judgement ;)
Tea tastes like tea. And tea is so much more than taste

Dec 18th, '14, 10:33

by JCFantasy23 » Dec 18th, '14, 10:33

Ugh I'm the same way. I just don't pick up a lot of these subtle nuances some reviews mention or product descriptions claim. I have weird taste buds though.

Dec 19th, '14, 14:13

by Noonie » Dec 19th, '14, 14:13

I figure...it's the internet and you get all types of people. I don't appreciate all the threads and information I read, but there are likely a group of people who appreciate most (sane) things written about, including tea descriptions.

I've never been the type to pick up on everyday flavors / flavors not usually associated with the drink (e.g., wine has a tobacco or leather taste), but it's somewhat interesting to read about, and may be helpful with some beverages--though I can't say it's been helpful for me with tea.

One thing I'll always remember though...I was more of a coffee/espresso drinker years ago. I even roasted my own green beans. After trying a really fresh Harar roast I thought "wow, that tastes just like blueberries". And when I googled it I noticed this was often the case with this roast.

Dec 20th, '14, 01:11

by iGo » Dec 20th, '14, 01:11

+1 on the blueberries, especially with home roasted Ethiopian beans.

+ Post Reply