Tea plant, leaves with brown tips

For general/other topics related to tea.

May 20th, '15, 03:41

Re: Tea plant, leaves with brown tips

by kiwi303 » May 20th, '15, 03:41

I would take a couple of healthy looking twigs, dip them in rooting hormone and pot up in new pots with new soil. Hope those ones grow roots.

If the first survives, well you then have more, if the original dies, then you may have replacements... if they all die, you're no worse off than if you hadn't tried.

Jul 6th, '15, 23:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Jul 6th, '15, 23:09

So, how did it go? Did the plant survive? Haha, I sound like I just finished a book with a cliff-hanger ending!

Jul 7th, '15, 07:09

by Drax » Jul 7th, '15, 07:09

Sadly, the tea plant did not make it.

I wish I knew what the problem was... it had really been dying a slow death. It started to grow new leaves this spring, but they all quickly whithered. Very sad. :(

Jul 8th, '15, 16:05

by Devoted135 » Jul 8th, '15, 16:05

Aww, I'm so sad to hear that! RIP, tea plant.

Jul 8th, '15, 18:07

by NateHevens » Jul 8th, '15, 18:07

Drax wrote:Sadly, the tea plant did not make it.

I wish I knew what the problem was... it had really been dying a slow death. It started to grow new leaves this spring, but they all quickly whithered. Very sad. :(
Will you be trying again?

Mar 2nd, '20, 20:50

by axl » Mar 2nd, '20, 20:50

NateHevens wrote:
Drax wrote:Sadly, the tea plant did not make it.

Will you be trying again?
When Tea plant leaves brown off from the tips, this is a clear indication that the plant is stressed. Try upsizing the pot using fresh good quality potting mix with in-built feeding. Also ensure that the soil is damp but not wet.

Another cause of browning is the presence of salt in the soil. Two causes there, living very close to the ocean or over fertilizing. If it is the latter, water well for a week, don't fertilize for a month.

Happy Tea growing.

Mar 2nd, '20, 20:50

by axl » Mar 2nd, '20, 20:50

Drax wrote: I'm curious for those who have experience growing (indoors) tea plants. I've got a 3 year old plant that has pretty large leaves, but they tend to be very brown on the tips (sometimes up to half of the leaf). New shoots are currently appearing, and some of them already have tiny bits of brown on the end. Any ideas what's causing it?
When Tea plant leaves brown off from the tips, this is a clear indication that the plant is stressed. Try upsizing the pot using fresh good quality potting mix with in-built feeding. Also ensure that the soil is damp but not wet.

Another cause of browning is the presence of salt in the soil. Two causes there, living very close to the ocean or over fertilizing. If it is the latter, water well for a week, don't fertilize for a month.

Happy Tea growing.

Mar 4th, '20, 03:04

by isabellamor » Mar 4th, '20, 03:04

Are you aware that this is an old thread?

+ Post Reply