Tea Book and Magazine Reviews/Discussion

For general/other topics related to tea.

Apr 10th, '12, 06:11

Re: Tea Book and Magazine Reviews/Discussion

by Ludwig-1954 » Apr 10th, '12, 06:11

Good afternoon, Ladies and Gentlemen

Though not directly a "tea" book, I would nevertheless like to direct
your attention to the following publication.
"Shanzhai - Dekonstruktion auf Chinesisch", Merve Verlag Berlin,
ISBN 978-3-88396-294-8, www.merve.de.

This publication might bring a different view to the endless discussion whether Teatoys, especially YiXing, are original, copied, reproduced, fake or whatever. At least for German speaking Tea People.

The Korean born Author, Byung Chul Han, holds a phd in philosophy, germanistics and cath. theology, habilitated at the university of Basel and holds a full professorship in Philosophy and Media Theory at the Karlsruhe State University for Design.

Best Regards
Patrick B. Ludwig

Jul 23rd, '12, 23:18

by needaTEAcher » Jul 23rd, '12, 23:18

I just posted this elsewhere, but it fits here too!

I really like First Step to Chinese Puerh by Chan Kam Pong. It is pretty basic, but very inclusive, so it can really help to fill in gaps for basic puerh knowledge.

I also enjoyed The Harney and Sons Guide to Tea by Mike Harney. Very, very intro level on just about everything, but it covers the main breadth of tea.

For a book about the Tao of Tea, I recommend The Way of Tea: Reflections on a Life with Tea, by Aaron Fisher. This is not so much about tea as about Taoism and the history of the relationship between the two, though there are some great ideas, historical facts, and historical suppositions. Facinating read. I actually recommend it for everyone, since it talks about the philosophy of tea as a peaceful, kind "way", which is unfortunately not always the case here on teachat!

Sep 21st, '12, 03:05

by KimChristian » Sep 21st, '12, 03:05

Just want to let you know that the new issue of "The Art of Tea Magazine" #13 is out...hope to get mine soon.

It is a pitty that only a few vendors are selling them and you cannot
get a subscription anywhere...

Jun 9th, '13, 13:03
Vendor Member

Re:

by gingkoseto » Jun 9th, '13, 13:03

A more detailed introduction of this book on my blog now :D
http://gingkobay.blogspot.com/2013/06/o ... e-tea.html
gingkoseto wrote:Wow. How do you guys read all these non-english books!

A book I think very highly of is this:

The second part of this book includes illustrations of around 180 types of teas, with photos of dry loose tea leaves, color of tea water and wet, spent tea leaves. Just this part, I think, is outstanding work. And so far I haven't seen a second book with all these illustrations.

The book has no English version though. But the illustration page of each tea has the Chinese name and pinyin (Chinese pronunciation) of the tea. The book was written and edited by a committee of top tea scholars in China. They are from different institutions, took all the trouble to get together for meetings, tea tastings and picture collecting. The book is not perfect (I personally think the graphic editing and book design could have been much better), probably due to limitation of funding. But it's very respectable work.

Jun 13th, '13, 23:58

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 13th, '13, 23:58

KimChristian wrote:Just want to let you know that the new issue of "The Art of Tea Magazine" #13 is out...hope to get mine soon.

I've recently returned from The World Tea Expo (West) and spoke with some people there that said the previous distributor in the U.S. had problems between shipping from Taiwan and with getting the magazines out in time in the U.S. They said that they will likely soon have a distributor here in the U.S. to make the magazine more available. It's such a beautiful journal and I am excited to have greater access to it.

Jun 16th, '13, 12:54

by KimChristian » Jun 16th, '13, 12:54

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:
KimChristian wrote:Just want to let you know that the new issue of "The Art of Tea Magazine" #13 is out...hope to get mine soon.

I've recently returned from The World Tea Expo (West) and spoke with some people there that said the previous distributor in the U.S. had problems between shipping from Taiwan and with getting the magazines out in time in the U.S. They said that they will likely soon have a distributor here in the U.S. to make the magazine more available. It's such a beautiful journal and I am excited to have greater access to it.
Yup...I have to order mine from Malaysia...would be great to have more and easier access to it.

Does anyone know about upcoming issues ??

Jun 16th, '13, 14:13

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jun 16th, '13, 14:13

KimChristian wrote:
茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:

Yup...I have to order mine from Malaysia...would be great to have more and easier access to it.

Does anyone know about upcoming issues ??
You know, I forgot to ask that question. The woman I spoke with that had the magazines is from Malaysia (Camellia Siow, Purple Cane Holdings SDN BHD). I have her email and will send her an email to ask. The gentleman working with her mostly spoke about the issues they had in the past getting the magazine distributed properly, on time. They strongly hinted that those problems may be solved soon. It does seem like the new issue should have already been out.

Jul 20th, '13, 17:19
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 20th, '13, 17:19

I-hsing Ware, (Exhibition catalogue) , China Institute in America, New York.

“A Study on the Shapes and Decoration of Yixing Teapots”, Yixing Pottery, Hong Kong M
useum of Art, Hong Kong.

“Index of I-hsing Potters”, The Bulletin of the Oriental Ceramic Society of Hong Kong, 1978-80. no. 4.

"Teapots of Yixing”, The National Palace Museum Monthly of Chinese Art, Vol. 1, No. 6, September (in Chinese)

"Yixing Stoneware", A Matter of Taste: Selected Chinese Art from California Collections, The Chinese Culture Center of San Francisco, San Francisco.

“Wang Tingmei, an Unknown Potter of Yixing,” The Society for Asian Art Newsletter, Summer, 1989, p.3.

“A Concise History of Yixing Ware”, The Art of the Yixing Potter, Hong Kong Museum of Art, Hong Kong.

“In search of Tiehua Xuan”, Orientations, May.

“The Art of Yixing”,Ceramics Monthly, Volume 40, Number 10, December. (This article has photos of potters making teapots)

“Tanfang Tiehua Xuan di aomi”, (In search of Tiehua Xuan) Huzhong Tiandi, Vol. 46/47. (Taipei’s foremost magazine on Yixing Ware)

“Yixing meimei wuwen di zhihu yiren -- Wang Tingmei”, (“Wang Tingmei, Unknown Potter of Yixing”), HuzhongTiandi, vol. 45.

Co-edited with Lai Suk Yee: Themes and Variations: The Zisha Pottery of Chen Mingyuan, The Art Museum, Chinese University of Hong Kong.

“The First Annual Yixing Symposium for Western Potters, November, 1996” in La Revue de la Céramique et du verre- Supplément au No 100 mai/juin 1998.

“Mansheng Teapots in overseas Collections,” in Lai Suk Yee, ed., The Art of Chen Hongshou: Painting, Calligraphy, Seal-carving and Teapot-design, Hong Kong, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2005, pps. 236-252.

“Learning pottery in Yixing, China,” in Beatrice Hohennegger, ed., Steeped in History, the Art of Tea, Los Angeles: Fowler Museum at UCLA, 2009, pp.54-59.

“美國西海岸宜興紫沙收藏概況,” 故宮博物院 編, 2007年國際紫沙研討會論文集, 北京:紫禁城出版社, 2009 年, 281-294頁.
“Meiguo xi haian yixing shoucang gaikuang,” in Palace Museum ed., The Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference of Yixing Ware, Beijing: The Forbidden City Publishing House, 2009 pp. 281-294.

Jan 10th, '14, 12:20
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 10th, '14, 12:20

... moved to General/Other Tea where it will be more at home ...

Jan 10th, '14, 12:35

by Chip » Jan 10th, '14, 12:35

A new topic has been created for Global Tea Hut/The Leaf Magazine. You can find it under the "travel/culture forum" of TeaChat here:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=19419

Jan 23rd, '15, 03:03

by futurebird » Jan 23rd, '15, 03:03

"The First Annual Yixing Symposium for Western Potters, November, 1996"

Any idea how I can get this?

Jan 23rd, '15, 23:29

by drinking_teas » Jan 23rd, '15, 23:29

futurebird wrote:"The First Annual Yixing Symposium for Western Potters, November, 1996"

Any idea how I can get this?
one of the western potters who was there documented the whole thing on video. it's on YouTube

Mar 6th, '15, 05:44

by Candima » Mar 6th, '15, 05:44

Mar 17th, '15, 02:32

by chamekke » Mar 17th, '15, 02:32

Here's a book on Sencha-dou, the Way of Sencha.

煎茶の心得 (Knowledge of Sencha)
http://www.amazon.co.jp/x714E-x8336-x30 ... 4418063048
ISBN 4418063048, 9784418063048

There isn't much written on sencha-dou in English (actually, the only book I know of is Tea of the Sage: The Art of Sencha by Patricia J. Graham), so for non-readers of Japanese (yo!), beautifully illustrated books like this are very welcome. There are chapters devoted to different kinds of leaf tea and how to steep them (including how to roast your own houjicha and steep your own reicha, chilled sencha); the many utensils used; and several formal otemae (tea presentations). The photos of the utensils alone are properly gorgeous. And did I mention there's a two-page spread on chataku? *cough*

On a slightly different note, I just discovered this site (blog?) that features books devoted to Chadou, the "standard" style of tea ceremony. Again, it's in Japanese only, but you can always run it through Google Translate. ISBNs are provided, along with links to more information, so it might be useful for people who are interested in learning what other books are out there.

http://sadoujapan.anime-japan.net/

Mar 17th, '15, 06:52

by Drax » Mar 17th, '15, 06:52

Thanks, chamekke!

For what it's worth, that big red box in the order of the cover says that it uses large characters, so it's easy to read! :D

+ Post Reply