My experience at Teavana.

For general/other topics related to tea.

Oct 20th, '11, 14:51

Re: My experience at Teavana.

by DarkenedSun » Oct 20th, '11, 14:51

is this the kind of thing you are talking about? http://www.tenren.com/suixinteapot.html
or
http://www.mightyleaf.com/teaware_teapo ... ns-teapot/

I think they are similar. I could be completely off though. :lol:

Oct 20th, '11, 19:58

by nrstooge » Oct 20th, '11, 19:58

Also,, Adagio has a tea steeper that is very similar, similar in price, but much better customer service. I have one and love it. JMO

Oct 20th, '11, 23:32

by littlemouse » Oct 20th, '11, 23:32

I'm really sorry you had such an experience. :( I *just* got hired at Teavana, and haven't even gone to my first day of training. So I've been spending the past few days reviewing my massive training manual and researching Teavana on the internet, everything from its performance in the stock market to employee reviews to customer reviews. So far I notice a consistent love/hate attitude toward Teavana... people love their products, hate their ethics.

I will definitely take your experience into account as I venture into this new job. I am coming into this passionate about learning about tea, and the manager of the store I will work for seems to rock Teavana's rather misleading sales process in a very gentle and friendly manner. She was the first person who sold tea to me when I first experienced the store, and I saw *right* through her sales pitches, but I was pleasantly surprised how she handled my rejections.

What I've learned so far, before my first day of training, is that in order to be a high-performing employee you seem to have to regard the customers as being incapable of knowing what they want/need, and it is your duty to educate them and tell them what they want/need. I may have trouble with this way of thinking on a long-term basis.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story. I really hope my story with Teavana doesn't turn out like yours, as I know there are employees that speak very highly of their jobs at Teavana. My hope is that I can follow their sales process but not adopt the "sneaky" feel that it tends to have.

Oct 21st, '11, 20:14

by SlientSipper » Oct 21st, '11, 20:14

littlemouse wrote:I'm really sorry you had such an experience. :( I *just* got hired at Teavana, and haven't even gone to my first day of training. So I've been spending the past few days reviewing my massive training manual and researching Teavana on the internet, everything from its performance in the stock market to employee reviews to customer reviews. So far I notice a consistent love/hate attitude toward Teavana... people love their products, hate their ethics.

I will definitely take your experience into account as I venture into this new job. I am coming into this passionate about learning about tea, and the manager of the store I will work for seems to rock Teavana's rather misleading sales process in a very gentle and friendly manner. She was the first person who sold tea to me when I first experienced the store, and I saw *right* through her sales pitches, but I was pleasantly surprised how she handled my rejections.

What I've learned so far, before my first day of training, is that in order to be a high-performing employee you seem to have to regard the customers as being incapable of knowing what they want/need, and it is your duty to educate them and tell them what they want/need. I may have trouble with this way of thinking on a long-term basis.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story. I really hope my story with Teavana doesn't turn out like yours, as I know there are employees that speak very highly of their jobs at Teavana. My hope is that I can follow their sales process but not adopt the "sneaky" feel that it tends to have.
If you are no a sociopath then you won't last.
If you love lying and misleading oh boy have you found the career for that.

Its not the customers that give you stress or even the co-workers.
Its the management.
Last edited by SlientSipper on Oct 22nd, '11, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 22nd, '11, 02:50

by Trekbmx » Oct 22nd, '11, 02:50

Thanks for the info and you time for typing all that. I bought some teas from there for the first time today. I was very pleased with the person who helped me and as a result I am going to send a corporate compliment. Your story does change my opinion about the company quite a bit. I am a noobie when It comes to tea but I do know being a good human to your employees is important. Thanks again!

Oct 27th, '11, 22:35

by spot52 » Oct 27th, '11, 22:35

Trekbmx wrote:Thanks for the info and you time for typing all that. I bought some teas from there for the first time today. I was very pleased with the person who helped me and as a result I am going to send a corporate compliment. Your story does change my opinion about the company quite a bit. I am a noobie when It comes to tea but I do know being a good human to your employees is important. Thanks again!
Lol. You really showed him.

Oct 28th, '11, 00:44

by greentam » Oct 28th, '11, 00:44

I haven't posted here in forever! But we just got a Teavana by us and I have to say that they've calmed down so much since they first opened. I think the most critical thing someone needs to teach these people is that when I say I want 2 o.z. I mean that. No more, no less, just 2 oz.

Oct 28th, '11, 00:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 28th, '11, 00:50

... what do you mean???

You can save 10% by the pound ... are you crazzzzzzzzy?

:lol:

Oct 29th, '11, 21:58

by SlientSipper » Oct 29th, '11, 21:58

greentam wrote:I haven't posted here in forever! But we just got a Teavana by us and I have to say that they've calmed down so much since they first opened. I think the most critical thing someone needs to teach these people is that when I say I want 2 o.z. I mean that. No more, no less, just 2 oz.

Just wait until Nancy Baker returns to get her greedy claws on that place and then tell me they relaxed.

Oct 30th, '11, 00:45

by Ostara » Oct 30th, '11, 00:45

Chip wrote:... what do you mean???

You can save 10% by the pound ... are you crazzzzzzzzy?

:lol:
LOL I actually some how saw a vid on youtube where someone was actually talked into thinking they only sell in bulk by the pound lol poor girl

Oct 30th, '11, 10:50

by teaoflife » Oct 30th, '11, 10:50

greentam wrote:I haven't posted here in forever! But we just got a Teavana by us and I have to say that they've calmed down so much since they first opened. I think the most critical thing someone needs to teach these people is that when I say I want 2 o.z. I mean that. No more, no less, just 2 oz.
Maybe they have been reading this thread and realize their error in the art of selling. I've been buying my loose tea at other tea shops and supermarkets, I just haven't had the stomach to go back to teavana since earlier this summer, which was a few months after I quit. I do miss it. Maybe I'll stop by when it's really busy so that I can check it out without being disturbed by a salesperson. I won't buy anything, just see what's in stock. I can buy high quality, excellent tasting, healthy teas elsewhere at a fraction of the cost from Teavana.

Nov 2nd, '11, 14:03

by TeaGuru2737 » Nov 2nd, '11, 14:03

Last edited by TeaGuru2737 on Jun 13th, '12, 21:07, edited 4 times in total.

Nov 2nd, '11, 14:28

by bryan_drinks_tea » Nov 2nd, '11, 14:28

wow, I didn't see that coming. There are a lot of us here, TeavanaGuru, who simply don't like the aggressive nature of the sales tactics going on. To many of us, the tea and other products sold as well as the sales techniques don't represent what tea is about. I think that many of us understand that as a business, Teavana is out to make money. That's perfectly okay, as the products sold at Teavana, to me, are made for a certain portion of the market, and not, for example, The guy or gal who has lived in China or Japan for a while and now understands a little what tea represents in those countries and their respective cultures.
With all due respect, I understand that you have a Job there, and as a manager, you have good intentions. However, until the products change as well as the way customers are treated, our opinions may not be easily swayed.

Nov 2nd, '11, 14:36

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '11, 14:36

TeavanaGuru wrote:Hey guys! First time poster, long time lurker.

I'm a general manager on the west coast who loves her tea! But it bums me out people are having such complaints. While I won't discuss any internal information I'd love to help chat and resolve any misconceptions for you :mrgreen:
Hello, welcome to TeaChat. I have sent you a private message. Please check it out. Thanks.

Considering this topic is a top non-teavana site hit on google searches of "Teavana," I am surprised how long it has taken for management to jump onto this topic. :mrgreen:

Misconceptions ... hmmm, how can so many posters have misconceptions. Perhaps an error in the ways of Teavana? Usually if there are "misconceptions" by a complainer, there are a bunch of posters who will jump on and post rebuttals. This is not the case here. There is an undeniable pattern revealed.

Teavana is the most discussed vendor on this forum, and 95% of the posts are negative. I would say Teavana should be studying this topic and use this as a resource on how to improve customer relations and service ... aka sales tactics. How to change for the better.

Also as a tutorial on all the wrong and misleading info passed on to customers by obviously misinformed and trained sales associates. It is like a tape playing over and over ... can we all be hearing ... incorrectly?

Misconceptions, I do not think so.

Nov 2nd, '11, 16:48

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '11, 16:48

TeavanaGuru is now TeaGuru2737 ... just an FYI.

+ Post Reply