Gaiwan for white teas

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Feb 28th, '06, 19:21

by WhiteTeaWizard » Feb 28th, '06, 19:21

I have have also steeped in the traditional porcelain gaiwan, but do not recall any difference from that of the yixing. However, that was some time ago. Also, at the time I was not able to compare the two side by side.

I will now definately seek out a pure porcelain gaiwan and test the results. It's about time I get a new one.

Thanks for the info.
Tea:
Nature...for your mouuwth!"

Nov 2nd, '06, 14:18

by empty » Nov 2nd, '06, 14:18

So I wasn't just being crazy thinking that yixing gaiwans won't work. I read about how yixing teapots should not be used for greens and whites since it insulates heat better, and can kill the delicate flavor of the teas. Then I saw on a site that there are yixing gaiwans, and thought that it kind of defeated the purpose of a gaiwan.

One good thing about a gaiwan, even a yixing one, is that they have large lids. By positioning the lid to let heat out, you can control the amount of heat retained. Using the lid this way, along with carefully controlling the temperature of the water you add to the leaves, allows you to brew more sensitive leaves like white and green.

I tend to like yixing gaiwans because they are quieter when you slide the lid along the cup as you stir the leaves during brewing. Instead of the high pitched clink you get from porcelain, yixing gives you a pleasant and quiet scraping noise.

+ Post Reply