Official what White/Yellow are you drinking right now?

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Aug 22nd, '15, 17:29

Re: Official what White/Yellow are you drinking right now?

by John Li » Aug 22nd, '15, 17:29

I drank Jun Shan Yin Zhen Premium yellow tea first time today.
It was incredible!
Now this kind of tea is one of my favorites.
Next time I would like to try Huo Shan Huang Ya yellow tea.

Aug 29th, '15, 18:20
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 29th, '15, 18:20

"Seasonal Flush" (I think that means second flush) white tea from Shangrila Tea Estate ordered from Buddha Tea Shop in Kathmandu.

Had the same tea from 2014 but it is not the same. Last year it was floral & flavored w/.... no matter.

This year it is very simple--light & sweet. Glad to drink it though it is not what I was hoping for. Getting 4 infusions from a small amount of leaf.

Sep 5th, '15, 18:17
Vendor Member

by ethan » Sep 5th, '15, 18:17

Update on the Shangrilla white tea from Nepal. I had not given it enough time to acclimate. After sitting in a ceramic tea caddy for several days, the tea has become much more complex & enjoyable.

Flavor is quite floral & aroma is fairly strong & very pleasant. Very close to what I had a year ago. Best flavor comes from infusions of 3, then 2, then 3 minutes at around 74C give or take a few degrees.

Glad I risked getting a lot.

Sep 25th, '15, 00:20

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 25th, '15, 00:20

I had some BHYZ from Jing Tea Shop today. It was pleasant, nice baked bread and white flowers and egg white. pretty decent mouthfeel too.

Sep 25th, '15, 19:11
Vendor Member

by ethan » Sep 25th, '15, 19:11

In Thailand now & w/o the help of my kettle that that gives me exact temperature & time; so, making the Shangrila white tea at many different temperatures. This tea is delightful & can be close to a green tea or black tea at the extremes but most often & best at fairly higher temperatures than I thought I should use as well as fairly long steeping times it is a white tea. Then it is white tea w/ some of what I like in oolong. Then it is... lots of fun.

Oct 1st, '15, 02:41

by Tead Off » Oct 1st, '15, 02:41

Shangrila Nepali White Tea thanks to Ethan. This has to rank with some of the best Himalayan white teas I've ever drunk. As full flavored as many Darjeeling black teas, this one delivers the goods.

Oct 3rd, '15, 05:51

by kuánglóng » Oct 3rd, '15, 05:51

A 2013 Bai Mu Dan cake which when brewed slightly below 70 deg C. tastes like someone has thrown a piece of gingerbread into the soup. Mellow notes of cloves, malt and dried fruits, a bit of cinnamon, here and there some hints at black pepper. Stepped slightly hotter the cloves become dominant and starting at around 75 deg. C. notes of white celery take over and the soup turns into something more vegetal. Looking forward to brewing those leaves at 65-60-55-... deg. C.

Nov 24th, '15, 06:54
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 24th, '15, 06:54

Last post in this thread mentioned good match of tea & teaware.

I've mentioned a Shangrila white from Nepal & how dynamic it is, pleasing at different temperatures made in various teapots; however, I am surprised that the vessel I drink it in seems to matter. Now using a short hagi style from Japan that holds about 2 oz. This fairly thick cup seems to give a nice body to the liquid. My favorite preparation has become about 90 C water to steep the tea for about 45 seconds in a thin-walled chinese porcelin gaiwan. I expected some difference for the steeping but not so much for what I drink in. Surprise.

Nov 24th, '15, 07:28
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 24th, '15, 07:28

ethan wrote:Last post in this thread mentioned good match of tea & teaware.

I've mentioned a Shangrila white from Nepal & how dynamic it is, pleasing at different temperatures made in various teapots; however, I am surprised that the vessel I drink it in seems to matter. Now using a short hagi style from Japan that holds about 2 oz. This fairly thick cup seems to give a nice body to the liquid. My favorite preparation has become about 90 C water to steep the tea for about 45 seconds in a thin-walled chinese porcelin gaiwan. I expected some difference for the steeping but not so much for what I drink in. Surprise.
Different vessels and cups can make a world of difference! :)

Nov 30th, '15, 23:02

by john.b » Nov 30th, '15, 23:02

Now I'm trying that Shangrila Nepal white tea too, thanks also to Ethan. It is nice. When I first tried it the pronounced fruit flavors reminded me of an Oriental Beauty, but when I tried more at home later brewed stronger it seemed a lot more like a Darjeeling.

It is interesting because the character changes based on switching around brewing parameters. The flavor profile is based on fruit typical of Darjeeling (grape / muscatel, but to me a bright citrus seems stronger), but the astringency can change from the variations. It's not just stronger or lighter, but the feel shifts some, towards how a green tea comes across, or even a bit like a black, but of course also related to a white tea profile since it is that.

Dec 23rd, '15, 01:38

by Tead Off » Dec 23rd, '15, 01:38

Nepal Shangrila white tea. A very heady, fruity brew representing the best of Himalayan white teas. This afternoon, brewed in 180ml Yixing with about 3g of tea. 3 min. Bingo. Even my wife commented on how good it was. :D

Jan 3rd, '16, 02:22

by NateHevens » Jan 3rd, '16, 02:22

I was at Tea Drunk today, and had their 2012 mid spring Bai Mu Dan...

ImageImageImage

(Click on the pics for larger views...)

Y'all, it was so good.

Jan 16th, '16, 21:19

by CWarren » Jan 16th, '16, 21:19

Edited
Last edited by CWarren on Mar 6th, '16, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 17th, '16, 09:11
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jan 17th, '16, 09:11

CWarren, Thanks for sharing your parameters. I would not have thought of dropping so much: from 30 seconds to 3 - 5. Cheers.

Mar 16th, '16, 07:30
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 16th, '16, 07:30

Just opened a new 500-gram bag of Shangrilla white tea from Nepal.

I have played w/ as little as 10 seconds & as much as 3 minutes. Today, after a couple of months of not having this to drink, I was conservative: 1 minute of 86C. Really delicious. Much of the flavors of the Himalayan Orange black tea that I drink; yet, this is definitely white tea. \

Life is good.

+ Post Reply