Official what White/Yellow are you drinking right now?

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Apr 7th, '12, 23:04

Re: Official what White/Yellow are you drinking right now?

by kobold » Apr 7th, '12, 23:04

last of the Jing Gu "White Pekoe Silver Needles" (spring 2012) leaves. it was a free sample (thank you scott! :-) from YS. i'm drinking it grandpa style and it feels pretty strong for a white tea at my second top-up. i like minty/camphory teas and it reminds me of a wild yunnan pu-erh varietal i bought recently.

Apr 9th, '12, 00:36

by debunix » Apr 9th, '12, 00:36

Scratched the itch for white tea today with some Ye Fang Bai Cha from Norbu this afternoon. Shouldn't let it be so long before my next white tea session!

Apr 9th, '12, 22:09

by etorix » Apr 9th, '12, 22:09

not actually drinking yet, but ordered today
2 meng dings from teaspring, both 2012s, both new to me

Meng Ding Huang Ya 25 grams
Meng Ding Gan Lu 25 grams

and lo, their list of 2012s is expanding ..

May 5th, '12, 03:30

by etorix » May 5th, '12, 03:30

Meng Ding Huang Ya from Teaspring Spring 2012 (First Flush)
This rare Yellow tea comes from the misty peak of Mount Meng, where tea cultivation dates back to the Han Dynasty more than 2,000 years ago. Meng Ding Huang Ya was an Imperial Tribute Tea during the Tang Dynasty and was recorded in many famous Chinese books. Only the leaves picked in the misty peak areas of Mount Meng can be considered as true Meng Ding Huang Ya.
this i brewed in my usual-Yixing, but deserves gaiwan or mb dedicated-pot imho, not sure yet, advices welcome pls

complex and very-very more-ish tho, this

May 16th, '12, 18:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Lerxst2112 » May 16th, '12, 18:17

debunix wrote:Ya Bao wild Camellia buds from Norbu this afternoon, very fruity and floral and nice with some fruit for dessert.
Awesome! I just purchased their 2012 Ya Bao, and hope it turns out well. :mrgreen:

Jun 6th, '12, 23:19

by etorix » Jun 6th, '12, 23:19

finishing this 25gm sample of Meng Ding Huang Ya 2012 from Teaspring

this can withstand long long infusions

excellent

Jul 7th, '12, 23:58

by debunix » Jul 7th, '12, 23:58

Getting towards the end of a pouch of Jun Shan Yin Zhen from Dragon Tea House, drinking it from my Eiichi Rock hagi. It's a nice combination.

Aug 12th, '12, 21:09

by debunix » Aug 12th, '12, 21:09

Quiet topic--no white or yellow tea reports for a whole month?

Today was 2nd day of hot hot hot in the house of no AC, so the glass infuser mugs came into their own....this afternoon's brilliant inspiration, cold brewed in the fridge for evening enjoyment, is some yellow tea, Jun Shan Yin Zhen from Dragon Tea House, brewed with a dried hibiscus blossom in each mug. It's an excellent combination, with the delicate mild vegetal flavor of the tea plus the tart fruity floral hibiscus. Refreshing.

Gotta keep going with this combo!

Aug 25th, '12, 14:41

by debunix » Aug 25th, '12, 14:41

Ya bao wild camellia buds from Norbu. Delicate, floral, delicious. A nice start to a saturday teaDay.

Aug 28th, '12, 14:54

by chado.my.teaway » Aug 28th, '12, 14:54

BMD Supergrade 2012. so floral;))

Sep 10th, '12, 11:05
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 10th, '12, 11:05

Drinking some very nice, all-tip yellow tea from the wholesaler near me here in Hong Kong. They supply a lot of local restaurants with commercial grade shu pu erh, tieguanyin, oolongs, etc. I was picking up some Tie Guanyin and Luk On and remembered I wanted to ask her if she had some yellow tea. I was pleasantly surprised when she showed me some very pricey yellow tea, and she was surprised that I expressed an interest in it. Since I've never tried it before, I asked her if I could buy just 10 grams and she was fine with it!

I drank it out of a green porcelain gaiwan at around 80 degrees C and it is very light, floral and subtle. Very relaxing after a nice Thai meal, although it may be better to drink it with a clean palate devoid of garlic and onions to get the most of it. I really like it and will definitely be picking more up!

Sep 22nd, '12, 23:06

by debunix » Sep 22nd, '12, 23:06

My first taste of the 2012 Bai Hao Yin Zhen from Norbu today, a typically classy silver needle: it started with a very lively, fruity aroma even as dry leaves, and a very typical silver needle appearance. I didn’t measure the leaf quantity used, but started with just a little, because I know these teas can be overwhelming if brewed concentrated. The wetted leaf takes up about 1/4 or 1/3 of the gaiwan.

The steeped tea (now on my 6th infusion) lives up to the promise of the leaf scent. Floral, fruity, sweet in the early infusions, a little more tart later one. Delicious stuff. I have taken it from about 30 seconds/150 degrees first infusion through a minute or two/195 degrees by the 6th, gradually increasing time and temperature, but this is such a good natured tea that I could do it casually without fear of bitterness or astringency breaking out.

This is in contrast to some silver needles I bought a while back at my local teashop, which tasted a bit musty from day one, and show a pronounced bitterness if not handled with a very light touch. This is a nicer grade of tea.

I almost forgot to add a very important feature of this tea: it pairs magnificently with small quantities of very intense, fruity dark chocolate, like Scharffenberger’s 70%.

Sep 29th, '12, 15:10

by debunix » Sep 29th, '12, 15:10

More Bai Hao silver needle today, delicious....

Oct 11th, '12, 00:13

by debunix » Oct 11th, '12, 00:13

Finishing a really nice session with some Bai Hao Yin Zhen from Norbu, wonderful fruity floral silver needles, brewed up wonderfully in my Yi Yong Cheol porcelain pot.

Dec 1st, '12, 11:59

by debunix » Dec 1st, '12, 11:59

Last post here was almost the same thing--more Silver Needle from Norbu, but today in my scallop yunomi from Petr Novak. Mmmmm.....

+ Post Reply