Your favorite white tea?

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Dec 3rd, '07, 16:21

by hop_goblin » Dec 3rd, '07, 16:21

Chip wrote:White peony is called Bai mutan and around 20 variations in spelling. It is a white tea. Very full flavored for a white actually.

Awwh thanks Chipperoonie~ Then Peony is my favorite white tea ;)

Dec 3rd, '07, 16:58

by Wesli » Dec 3rd, '07, 16:58

Peony is a good one, tastes almost berry to me. Yet sometimes it tastes earthy... My relative love it too.

Is there a reason why it's usually so cheap?

Dec 3rd, '07, 17:16
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 3rd, '07, 17:16

I believe it is a lesser plucking, not just the bud like Yin Zhen, silver needle. There is much more of this grade floating around. Laws of supply and demand dictate pricing. Silver needle is rarer and much more in demand.

Even w/in bai mutan there are many grade and varieties. Mutan white is an even lesser grade I think than Bai Mutan. But it is a good cheap everyday alternative to silver needles, however does not really compare to the sublime silver needle experience.

I get Silver needles maybe once a year, around 50 grams, that is enough for me. It keeps the experience special!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Dec 3rd, '07, 17:32

by Mary R » Dec 3rd, '07, 17:32

Actually, I'm pretty sure Mutan White and Bai Mu Dan are the same thing.

As far as I know, the four grades of traditional Chinese white tea are Bai Hao Yinzhen, Bai Mu Dan, Gong Mei, and Shou Mei.

Dec 3rd, '07, 17:46

by Chip » Dec 3rd, '07, 17:46

Mary R wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure Mutan White and Bai Mu Dan are the same thing.
Mary: Mutan white for 1000, Alex.

Interestingly, I have seen several vendors offer both Mutan white and Bai mutan. So, there could be some confusion about nomenclature amoung vendors. (or in my own understanding of their offerings)

Today with the surging popularity amoung white tea enthusiasts, a whole new array of white teas are being offered from China. I had a bunch several years ago from Upton, that was quite amazing.

Mary, Bai hao is a locale isn't it? I heard that Fuding Yin Zhen another silver needle from simply another locale. So, I guess I am asking, is the Yin Zhen one of the traditional 4...or is it Bai Hao Yin Zhen?

Dec 3rd, '07, 19:58

by Mary R » Dec 3rd, '07, 19:58

My Chinese is non existent, but I was under the impression that bai hao simply meant white hair. I think only Fujian is traditionally called bai hao, because that's the place white tea originated from Yunnans and others often omit that part.

That's what I'm pulling from the top of my head. I haven't the time to research it at the moment.

Oh, and the Mutan/Mudan thing...I tend to see Fujian teas spelled with the d, others with the t. But I should research that too.

Dec 3rd, '07, 21:11

by Wesli » Dec 3rd, '07, 21:11

I thought baihao was a Taiwanese oolong...

:?:

Dec 3rd, '07, 22:25

by scruffmcgruff » Dec 3rd, '07, 22:25

Bai Hao, aka Oriental Beauty, is a Taiwanese oolong. I have heard it in reference to silver needle though, I just don't know why it's used. Also, I don't think "Bai Hao" is a translation of Oriental Beauty, but I don't know the translation either. So, basically, I'm of no help whatsoever. 8)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Dec 3rd, '07, 22:28

by Mary R » Dec 3rd, '07, 22:28

It means "white tip." (Not "white hair" like I'd previously thought.)

Silver Needle is, if nothing else, the quintessential 'white tip.' I think Oriental Beauty picked up that name because it's fairly unique among oolongs for also having some silvery, tippy bits. The OB is a beautiful tea, really, with all the silvers, greens, and browns. One of my favorites.

Dec 3rd, '07, 22:43

by Mary R » Dec 3rd, '07, 22:43

Oookay...and Mudan/Mu Dan/Mutan/Mu Tan means peony. (Yes, I literally hit myself after I bothered to look it up.)

So, to recap...

Bai/Pai = White.
Hao = Tip
Mudan/Mu Dan/Mutan/Mu Tan = Peony

Some vendors call those flowering tea blossoms 'mudan teas' for fairly obvious reasons.

Unlike what I noted earlier, the different spellings into English largely depend on the translator, not the region of the tea. However, it does seem that translators from certain areas seem to spell things more alike than two from different regions.

But what do I know...Asian languages will be an eternal mystery to me.

Feb 12th, '08, 01:14

by tealicious » Feb 12th, '08, 01:14

The only one I've tried is white peony but I instantly loved its slightly sweet, delicate, yet full bodied flavor. I prefer it steeped at least 5-6 minutes.

Feb 12th, '08, 13:49

by inspectoring » Feb 12th, '08, 13:49

I am without a doubt rishi fan....love their white tea....I have been using it for about 4 years. My last batch was exceptionally nice when inquired I was informed that they replaced their existing white tea with a higher grade of white tea....
Long live rishi !

Jun 26th, '08, 09:24

by hop_goblin » Jun 26th, '08, 09:24

I am not a huge fan of white teas but Tetuila sent me a sample and all I can say is WOW. It is very fragrant, buttery, and sweet. An overall wonderful cup!

www.tetulia.com

Jun 26th, '08, 10:47

by chrl42 » Jun 26th, '08, 10:47

scruffmcgruff wrote:Bai Hao, aka Oriental Beauty, is a Taiwanese oolong. I have heard it in reference to silver needle though, I just don't know why it's used. Also, I don't think "Bai Hao" is a translation of Oriental Beauty, but I don't know the translation either. So, basically, I'm of no help whatsoever. 8)
Oriental Beauty is Dong Fang Mei Ren, and that's Taiwanese tea. It is also called Bai Hao Oolong, Xiang Bin Oolong but its original name was Fu Shou.

Bai Hao means White Tip.
Silver Needle's full name is Bai Hao Yin Zhen, White Tip Silver Needle.

+ Post Reply