Hirumaen - Sayama cha from Iruma

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 18th, '14, 12:57

Re: Hirumaen - Sayama cha from Iruma

by shinobicha » Nov 18th, '14, 12:57

Welcome! Let us know if you order/what you get.

Nov 19th, '14, 04:10

by Tead Off » Nov 19th, '14, 04:10

On the website, the translation software is pretty spotty. Can anyone help explain what is meant by UV treatment mentioned on several teas. I'm surmising that it refers to exposure of sun's rays in some capacity but have no idea what he actually means. Or, is he actually doing experiements with the picked tea and exposing them to certain types of UV? References to magic have me stymied.

I've put in an order and look forward to drinking these teas.

Nov 21st, '14, 17:28

by shinobicha » Nov 21st, '14, 17:28

Hiruma pushes the envelope a bit with teas. He DOES expose the leaves to UV rays; he designed a special machine that micro-oxidizes the teas (some of them, not all).

They end up having a lot of aromas similar to a sencha mixed with a green oolong like ali shan or similar. The amount of oxidation is minimal of course, otherwise they would no longer be senchas. He does this process for kamairicha, fukamushi, houjicha, and Japanese black teas, too. He's come up with stuff no one else has, and they are very good.

Magic is just marketing...but he does work his magic on traditional teas and the results are awesome.

Let us know what you get/how you like it.

Nov 26th, '14, 01:15

by Tead Off » Nov 26th, '14, 01:15

Received my order very quickly. 2 days.

The first tea up was the Seikakou. I was a bit surprised by all the broken leaves. I followed his brewing chart and that first brew was a very pleasant surprise. It had a long lasting umami with a touch of a floral finish that filled the mouth and stayed there for a long time. I thought, wow, this is really different. But upon drinking the second and subsequent brews, the flavor was overwhelmed by a bitterness and astringency mixed with an oceanic flavor. This was following his brewing parameters. In a subsequent session, I brought the temp down for the second and subsequent brews, but it didn't really hit the spot for me. The tea turns into a fukamushi type mess with an intense greeness I don't care for. I will continue to experiment with it. That first brew was special.

The second tea up was the Hanayaka. This is perhaps closer to what I was expecting from this maker. Umami and long lasting flavor with nice long leaves. Almost a flowery flavor mixed in with that umami. Truly different and I was able to get at least a half a dozen tasty brews. There is some astringency, but not as intense as the Seikakou. The Hanayaka would be a highly recommended tea for those wanting to experience a different level of Japanese green tea.

I've got 4 other teas and will post back after trying.

Nov 27th, '14, 03:56

by Tead Off » Nov 27th, '14, 03:56

Continuing with the Hirumaen teas, I next tried the Yumewakaba. I also changed water to bottled mineral water. So far, this is by far, the most full flavored and bodied. Really good, but another fukamushi mess. Even in a gaiwan, the pouring out got difficult and sludgy. For a Chinese tea drinker, this is something I can never get used to.

Nov 28th, '14, 21:04

by Tead Off » Nov 28th, '14, 21:04

At last, the Temomicha. Fantastic looking needles. Like a fine digestif after a nice meal. This was carefully brewed as suggested by Hirumaen. This was something special to be savoured and difficult to describe. The spent leaves were a thing of beauty.

Dec 1st, '14, 01:46

by Tead Off » Dec 1st, '14, 01:46

These teas, after modifying suggested temp/time guide and brewing with mineral water, are possibly the best Japanese teas I've ever tasted. Umami, finish, and complex flavors, all combine to make some great teas. Not a dud to be found. All shine as distinct examples of different styles and cultivars. These teas are really worth trying.

Dec 2nd, '14, 14:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 2nd, '14, 14:37

Fascinating. I will have to try one day!

Jan 15th, '15, 17:39

by shinobicha » Jan 15th, '15, 17:39

Tead Off,
So glad you liked them! I had a great experience with Hirumaen as well. He has great service for a non-English speaker.

I had a similar feeling about the fukamushi teas - they were a bit of a mess... I certainly preferred the light-steamed. If you decide to order again, get the Hana-hoji. It is a houjicha that has been micro-oxidized. It is a crazy mix of the roasted taste of houjicha, and a green oolong. No, it is not like a roasted TGY...it really is like two distinct teas that work together as one.

Jan 15th, '15, 23:24

by Tead Off » Jan 15th, '15, 23:24

I'll put it on my list. I'm not crazy about his UV treated teas. Seems more of a gimmick than anything else. His prize winning teas are the best. The leaves are mind blowing.

+ Post Reply