Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 25th, '14, 13:47

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by JRS22 » Jan 25th, '14, 13:47

My taste in teas has clearly evolved over the years. In the beginning I favored Chinese greens, but now, even though I buy excellent greens, and brew them properly, I'm just not drawn to them anymore.

On the other hand, I crave Japanese greens. I've begun the day with Gyokuro Yame. It's part of my gyo project, where I'm beginning with the least expensive O-Cha gyo and working my way up. A sort of gyo OTTI of my own making and I'm looking forward to moving up a step to a higher quality gyo. The Yame is good but not great, as is to be expected at its price point. I stick to O-Cha because my most favorite Sencha blend is available exclusively through them, and they do have excellent gyros.

Jan 25th, '14, 15:24
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jan 25th, '14, 15:24

JRS22 wrote:My taste in teas has clearly evolved over the years. In the beginning I favored Chinese greens, but now, even though I buy excellent greens, and brew them properly, I'm just not drawn to them anymore.

On the other hand, I crave Japanese greens. I've begun the day with Gyokuro Yame. It's part of my gyo project, where I'm beginning with the least expensive O-Cha gyo and working my way up. A sort of gyo OTTI of my own making and I'm looking forward to moving up a step to a higher quality gyo. The Yame is good but not great, as is to be expected at its price point. I stick to O-Cha because my most favorite Sencha blend is available exclusively through them, and they do have excellent gyros.
I had a similar path. Partly because decent Chinese greens were available back then and decent Japanese greens were yet to become so readily available ... they were pretty bad for the most part. But once I had good Japanese greens, I was hooked ... they have the "crave factor" for me.

I might taste some other teas and say, "that was pretty good." But they do not have the daily attraction of Japanese greens for me.

Jan 25th, '14, 15:31

by Chip » Jan 25th, '14, 15:31

Special Selection Tsuyu Hikari, brewed strong and enjoyed in Hagi Noutomi Susumu Kyusu and smaller wan-s.

Jan 25th, '14, 17:23

by Noonie » Jan 25th, '14, 17:23

JRS22 wrote:My taste in teas has clearly evolved over the years. In the beginning I favored Chinese greens, but now, even though I buy excellent greens, and brew them properly, I'm just not drawn to them anymore.

What one is your favourite Sencha blend?

I've never tried Gyokuro. I really, really like sencha...but I'm thrown off by the higher price and complexity of brewing with Gyokuro. I do, however, like the idea of buying the Gyokuro-specific tea ware :wink:

Jan 25th, '14, 17:32

by AdamMY » Jan 25th, '14, 17:32

The last of the Kouchi Sencha I got from Cha-raku tea.

Tsuno Village, Kouchi Prefecture
Asamushi
Yabukita Cultivar

and delicious!

Jan 25th, '14, 18:03

by JRS22 » Jan 25th, '14, 18:03

Chip wrote:I had a similar path. Partly because decent Chinese greens were available back then and decent Japanese greens were yet to become so readily available ... they were pretty bad for the most part. But once I had good Japanese greens, I was hooked ... they have the "crave factor" for me.

I might taste some other teas and say, "that was pretty good." But they do not have the daily attraction of Japanese greens for me.
I came to tea later than you so I had the benefit of Teachat knowledge. If I had depended upon japanese greens from Upton I'd probably still be drinking Chinese greens.

I do also love yancha, but somehow it doesn't rise to the level of craving.

Jan 25th, '14, 18:12

by JRS22 » Jan 25th, '14, 18:12

Noonie wrote:What one is your favourite Sencha blend?

I've never tried Gyokuro. I really, really like sencha...but I'm thrown off by the higher price and complexity of brewing with Gyokuro. I do, however, like the idea of buying the Gyokuro-specific tea ware :wink:
I have an issue with being overly sensitive to the bitterness that is present in sencha. I participate in sencha OTTIs, but I can never brew sencha that tastes as good as it smells. I love karigane, and O-Cha sells 2 that rise above the rest, as far as I've experienced to date. My absolute favorite is Uji Sencha Otsuusan. It's a blend from Tsuen Teahouse, and O-Cha is the only online vendor for it. I also enjoy Uji Karigane Gyokuro Asa-giri.

Several years ago I bought a gyokuro brewing set from O-Cha. It includes a shiboridashi, two small teacups and a matching yuzamashi (water cooler) to help lower water temperature. I also use the yuzamashi as a "fair" cup. Between that and the detailed instructions for gyo brewing on the O-Cha site my skill has reached the point where I can relax while brewing and drinking! I'm sure there's still much room for improvement, but who wants a static life.

Jan 25th, '14, 20:04

by Chip » Jan 25th, '14, 20:04

Asatsuyu Special Edition into the evening ... in Mukuhara Kashun small Yunomi.

Jan 26th, '14, 16:06

by JRS22 » Jan 26th, '14, 16:06

I began my teaday with Sencha Otsuusan from O-Cha. My supply of Yame gyo is running low so I went online (really a pleasure on a freezing day) to order more tea. This time I chose both of my favorite kariganes, Otsuusan and Asa-Giri. I also ordered a more expensive gyo to compare to the Yame. Fujitsubo is $39.20, about 50% more than the Yame. I hope to brew it well enough to notice and appreciate the difference!

Jan 26th, '14, 21:21

by Chip » Jan 26th, '14, 21:21

JRS, I think you will enjoy the Fujitsubo! :mrgreen:

Sae Midori Special Grade from Shizuoka earlier ... brewed in Kobiwako kyusu by Junzo Maekawa, sipped in Shawn's Greenwood Studio saucer-cups.

Jan 26th, '14, 22:02

by Chip » Jan 26th, '14, 22:02

Next up, Tsuyu Hikari ... Special Edition. Tokoname Kyusu by Touju.

Wan is a well seasoned Hagi SO "Sendai" by Yamane Seigan ... this cup is nicked "Fuji" for pretty obvious reasons.

Yuzamashi by Shawn of Greenwood Studios.

First steep, strong yellow, relatively clear.

Second steep ... deep green, viscous ... thick fukamushi.

Jan 27th, '14, 08:43

by bliss » Jan 27th, '14, 08:43

William wrote: What do you think of the Kasuga Zairai Sencha? Mine is on the way to Italy .. :)

Ps. Can I give you a little advice? Try a session or two with a yuzamashi made of glass or porcelain (if you have one), you may notice some improvements ..
Brewed three beautiful cups of the Kasuga Zairai this morning without the clay yuzamashi. Big improvement. Pure and crystal clear taste with grassy notes.

I thought I was a bit confused regarding the flavours during previous sessions (due to being away from sencha for too long and changing many brewing parameters at the same time), but it seems like it might have been the yuzamashi that made the flavour profile confusing :idea: :oops:

Thanks again!

Jan 27th, '14, 11:13

by William » Jan 27th, '14, 11:13

bliss wrote:
William wrote: What do you think of the Kasuga Zairai Sencha? Mine is on the way to Italy .. :)

Ps. Can I give you a little advice? Try a session or two with a yuzamashi made of glass or porcelain (if you have one), you may notice some improvements ..
Brewed three beautiful cups of the Kasuga Zairai this morning without the clay yuzamashi. Big improvement. Pure and crystal clear taste with grassy notes.

I thought I was a bit confused regarding the flavours during previous sessions (due to being away from sencha for too long and changing many brewing parameters at the same time), but it seems like it might have been the yuzamashi that made the flavour profile confusing :idea: :oops:

Thanks again!
:wink:

I hope to try mine soon! :mrgreen:

Jan 27th, '14, 23:29

by Chip » Jan 27th, '14, 23:29

Tenryu Special Edition ... this one is pretty amazing!

Shimizu Ken Nosaka clay Kyusu, 200 ml ... served up in Hagi SO Oribe. Shawn's Yuzamashi ...

Jan 28th, '14, 09:23

by AdamMY » Jan 28th, '14, 09:23

Enjoying Yamashita Jirushi Gyokuro, while incredibly delicious seems to be taking an incredibly long time to work through this bag. Of course saying that means it will probably meet its end rather soon....

Stay warm everyone!

+ Post Reply