Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 3rd, '10, 14:59

Re: What GREEN are you currently drinking?

by teaisme » Dec 3rd, '10, 14:59

Have been eying that one for a while, what do you love about it?

Dec 3rd, '10, 15:26

by NOESIS » Dec 3rd, '10, 15:26

churng wrote:Have been eying that one for a while, what do you love about it?
The balance. A bit more complexity/depth and heft than your typical asa, but not as cloyingly sweet and 'swampy' as a fuka (which I do still enjoy on occasion). Also, the aftertaste is quite sustained.

Dec 3rd, '10, 17:07

by AdamMY » Dec 3rd, '10, 17:07

The last of the Kuradashi sencha is now being enjoyed in a Seigan Pinchwork themed sencha session.

Not pictured is the Ao Teb Kyusu used to brew.

Dec 3rd, '10, 19:12

by verus » Dec 3rd, '10, 19:12

I'm drinking a nice affordable Long Jing...very tasty!

Dec 3rd, '10, 19:36

by nickE » Dec 3rd, '10, 19:36

Autumn 2010 Bi Lo Chun from YS. Grandpa style brewing it, not sure if it would stand up to gongfu. Although, I might give it a try; it's quite pleasant like this.

Dec 3rd, '10, 21:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 3rd, '10, 21:28

Chip wrote:Organic Sencha "7132" Asamushi from the O-C, their newest entry.

I was first struck by the dry leaf aroma, remarkably sweet for an asamushi, for an organic, for a Yabukita.

Brewed 1 gram leaf per ounce water, 158* in a preheated kyusu, 1.5 minutes.

As the water hit the leaves, I could not help but notice a sweet baked bread aroma, cinnamon, allspice. This was persistant for the first few steeps.

I am curious what a higher temp might bring out ... or an even cooler temp.

This is supposed to be Yabukita, I would not have guessed this as it has a more exotic profile than THE traditional Yabukita as I associate it.
Experimented a bit today, brewed this so called Sencha 7132, Organic Asamushi from the O-C, cooler, 153* for longer than the norm 90 seconds. Also brewed this in a Banko houjin.

The results were incredibly good. If someone wants to try a non veggie, non grassy ... yet traditional asamushi sencha in organic form, give this a try. It is like cinnamon raisin bread that was freshly warmed.

I will try this brewed hotter, and expect different results than I have been achieving thus far.

Dec 4th, '10, 00:46

by NOESIS » Dec 4th, '10, 00:46

Chip wrote:
Chip wrote:Organic Sencha "7132" Asamushi from the O-C, their newest entry.

I was first struck by the dry leaf aroma, remarkably sweet for an asamushi, for an organic, for a Yabukita.

Brewed 1 gram leaf per ounce water, 158* in a preheated kyusu, 1.5 minutes.

As the water hit the leaves, I could not help but notice a sweet baked bread aroma, cinnamon, allspice. This was persistant for the first few steeps.

I am curious what a higher temp might bring out ... or an even cooler temp.

This is supposed to be Yabukita, I would not have guessed this as it has a more exotic profile than THE traditional Yabukita as I associate it.
Experimented a bit today, brewed this so called Sencha 7132, Organic Asamushi from the O-C, cooler, 153* for longer than the norm 90 seconds. Also brewed this in a Banko houjin.

The results were incredibly good. If someone wants to try a non veggie, non grassy ... yet traditional asamushi sencha in organic form, give this a try. It is like cinnamon raisin bread that was freshly warmed.

I will try this brewed hotter, and expect different results than I have been achieving thus far.
Chip, thanks for the rundown. I need to order from O-C pretty soon, so this will go on the list. :wink:

You are brewing it the way I brew all of my asa these days. Lower temp, longer first steep and using a Banko pot.

Dec 4th, '10, 12:02

by debunix » Dec 4th, '10, 12:02

Drinking a richer than usual mix of sayamakaori sencha from Yuuki-cha, almost 6grams in my little 5 oz kyusu, brewing a little cooler than usual, 145 degrees, and oh my, rich, sweet, deep, lovely.

Dec 4th, '10, 22:25

by AdamMY » Dec 4th, '10, 22:25

Opened up the second 100 grams of Sencha Superior from hibiki.

Dec 4th, '10, 23:20

by debunix » Dec 4th, '10, 23:20

Now drinking some Anji white [really green] tea. Love the smooth spiciness of it, so nice to share it with friends.

Dec 5th, '10, 12:39

by Chip » Dec 5th, '10, 12:39

NOESIS wrote:Chip, thanks for the rundown. I need to order from O-C pretty soon, so this will go on the list. :wink:

You are brewing it the way I brew all of my asa these days. Lower temp, longer first steep and using a Banko pot.
Well, a little Freudian brain fart ... I meant Bizen, though I feel it shares some attributes with Banko.

Oku Yutaka Organic from the O-C. This is priced pretty cheap at around $19. Chumushi leaning more towards fuka IMHO.

I am again struck by cinnamon in the profile of this organic. I have to wonder if the same grower is making this as the Sencha 7132 which I discussed above. If brewed right, the sweet/cinnamon is more pronounced. Takes a little practice to bring it out with this one.

There is also corn/toasted grains that fades when brewed cooler, it seems in favor of the cinnamon.

Dec 5th, '10, 14:31

by Stentor » Dec 5th, '10, 14:31

Thanks for sharing your tasting notes on Sencha 7132 and Oku Yutaka, Chip. I was gonna try both of them when I order from O-Cha again. You've got me even more curious.
Pretty awesome thread!

I'm currently drinking Sae Midori from O-Cha.
Judging from the leaves and the "in your face" taste, this is a VERY deep steamed sencha. It's the first fuka that gives me a slight (sasame) filter clogging problem.
It has a very strong sweet vegetable flavor. I taste carrots and sweet potatoes. Pretty amazing considering it's "just tea". The taste wasn't love on first sip though and took some getting used too for me. After drinking it for a couple of days, though, I really enjoy it. It adds some variety and I may buy it every once in a while.

Also, this tea is so ridiculously green:
ImageImage
2nd infusion of Sae Midori Sencha

I also have a bag of Warashina Supreme open which seems like such a high quality green tea. And it's organic! I'm trying to get more into asamushi and this one is a highlight already.

Dec 5th, '10, 16:49

by debunix » Dec 5th, '10, 16:49

Chip wrote: I am again struck by cinnamon in the profile of this organic. I have to wonder if the same grower is making this as the Sencha 7132 which I discussed above. If brewed right, the sweet/cinnamon is more pronounced. Takes a little practice to bring it out with this one.
Very curious as to what type of brewing brings out your sweet/cinnamon flavor profile, as that's something I generally enjoy in a sencha. Wonder if any of those I have would show that if I treated them differently....?

(And not drinking any green tea now--it's a puerh at present--but will likely go green for the next infusions. Maybe some no-name gyokuro I was given recently.)

Dec 5th, '10, 17:08

by solitude » Dec 5th, '10, 17:08

finishing Hibiki's gyokuro premium - I tried many brewing conditions and the one which was more or less good is 1g per oz, 60deg, 1 min ,if I leave it longer, or hotter water or more tea it is just bitter. This is my first gyokuro but I am not to happy about it.

I have also sencha ariake from a local shop, nothing outstanding, but If I use 4g per 3oz I can have 2-3 good steps.

And the teas from jing tea shop...its a different story. I opened first the everyday teas (song zhen, long jing) and I am very happy with them, especially with song zhen - floral fragrance, fresh and still sweet taste.
Last edited by solitude on Dec 7th, '10, 03:34, edited 2 times in total.

Dec 5th, '10, 20:27

by debunix » Dec 5th, '10, 20:27

Drinking 'premium organic' Dragon Well from Wing Hop Fung. Sweet, not as nutty as the top grade Imperial Shih Feng Long Jing from Jing Tea Shop, but quite nicely vegetal & tasty.

+ Post Reply