Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 26th, '13, 19:10

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Jun 26th, '13, 19:10

AdamMY wrote:I am having Yamashita Jirushi Gyokuro in a set up I like to call "Heaven and Hell"

Heaven and Hell Gyokuro theme by Adam Yusko, on Flickr

Nice! Is that a Tanba-yaki cup?

Jun 26th, '13, 19:40

by AdamMY » Jun 26th, '13, 19:40

Yes it is! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jun 27th, '13, 00:42

by debunix » Jun 27th, '13, 00:42

Jungjak from Morning Crane teas, enjoyed from my Snowdrifts Hagi. Warm and grassy shading to hay.

Jun 29th, '13, 14:39

by JRS22 » Jun 29th, '13, 14:39

Ming Qian An Ji Bai Cha from Seven Cups. This is the first 2013 chinese green and it's arrival was very welcome. I had to cut back on sencha due to a digestive difficulty and I needed to move to the gentler chinese teas.

I went from greeting a cheerful post office package person at the door directly to the kitchen to brew some tea. This tea has a wonderful sweet vegetal character with a touch of dryness in the finish.

As a side note, people criticize the post office but I ordered the tea from Seven Cups in Arizona late on Wednesday night, they shipped the package priority mail on Thursday, and I received it on the East Coast this Saturday. Fedex takes a full week and costs more.

Jul 1st, '13, 16:58

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jul 1st, '13, 16:58

Devoted135 wrote:I've finally gotten around to the Asanoka from the NOTTI earlier this year, and have been enjoying it immensely. I've settled on ~5g/90ml. First steep 150F/60s, then 150F/30s, and back up in increments of 30s. Really lovely flavors in every steep. :)

Along with a square of dark chocolate, it's been my go to afternoon tea this week, in my Andrzej kyusu and Greenwood Studio teacup. :)
Afternoon Asanoka by Devoted135, on Flickr
Devoted,

What a beautiful kyusu! It is simple and yet earthy, subtle and warm. I appreciate the shape and the small flecks in the glaze. Envy :mrgreen:

Jul 1st, '13, 18:14

by BioHorn » Jul 1st, '13, 18:14

Boseong Korean green tea
Very low temperatures have been working well on this one. A bit grandpa style in my chawan.
For some reason this tea keeps bringing up thoughts of sencha. A different beast, but maybe a cousin?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... tea-02.jpg

Jul 2nd, '13, 10:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Jul 2nd, '13, 10:44

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote: Devoted,

What a beautiful kyusu! It is simple and yet earthy, subtle and warm. I appreciate the shape and the small flecks in the glaze. Envy :mrgreen:
Thank you! It's quickly become one of my favorite pots :D

Jul 2nd, '13, 13:47

by debunix » Jul 2nd, '13, 13:47

More Jungjak korean green tea, warm toasted grain, mellow and mildly sweet, very good for calming on a stressful morning, enjoyed in my Snowdrifts hagi.

Jul 3rd, '13, 03:45

by Bad Jedi » Jul 3rd, '13, 03:45

Early summer morning Monkey Pit Taiping Houkui .
This tea is just perfect , fresh green notes, refreshing, smooth, mellow with sweet after taste. Fantastic orchid scent, especially on the first brew.
TH_small.jpg
TH_small.jpg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

Jul 3rd, '13, 10:16

by amaranto » Jul 3rd, '13, 10:16

Artisan's Reserve by Mellow Monk, which is a nice, balanced, fresh sencha that's not heavy on the umami or astringent. It doesn't seem to require a ton of leaf, though this may be just based on my personal preference.

Jul 3rd, '13, 15:56

by JRS22 » Jul 3rd, '13, 15:56

Two green teas today! First a session of 2013 Zhu Ye Qing which I can't seem to get right. Then some of my favorite Sencha Otsuusan Karigane. I've been cutting back on the ratio of tea to water while I deal with my digestive difficulties, and find that a light brew is quite good. I do miss the intensity of my old style of brewing though.

Seven 'Cups is my favorite source for Tai Ping Hou Kui, and they have 2013 tea in stock, so I've quelled my jealousy of Bad Jedi's Monkey Pit TPHK. I am wondering why it's called Monkey Pit.

Jul 3rd, '13, 18:23

by MacGuffin » Jul 3rd, '13, 18:23

JRS22 wrote:Seven 'Cups is my favorite source for Tai Ping Hou Kui, and they have 2013 tea in stock, so I've quelled my jealousy of Bad Jedi's Monkey Pit TPHK.
I remember reading on the SC site that their supplier for Hou Kui had recently changed their method of processing somewhat. Do you find that it has improved the flavor overall?

Jul 3rd, '13, 19:36

by JRS22 » Jul 3rd, '13, 19:36

My understanding is that the change, which was done for the 2012 harvest, was at the pressing stage. It made the leaves easier to work with without breakage, which improves the flavor.

I buy multiple 25 gram bags rather than one large bag so the tea stays fresher. Then when I open a bag of TPHK I store it in a large shallow canister so the leaves are easy to remove w/o breakage.

I suppose the answer to your question is the change is subtle, but I already thought that Seven Cups TPHK was better than others I tried.
Last edited by JRS22 on Jul 4th, '13, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 3rd, '13, 22:29

by MacGuffin » Jul 3rd, '13, 22:29

JRS22 wrote:My understanding is that the change, which was done for the 2012 harvest, was at the pressing stage. It made the leaves easier to work with without breakage, which improves the flavor.

I buy multiple 25 gram bags rather than one large bag so the tea stays fresher. Then when I open a bag of TPHK I store it in a large shallow canister so the leaves are easy to remove w/o breakage. This is the only area of my life where I'm OCD!

I suppose the answer to your question is the change is subtle, but I already thought that Seven Cups TPHK was better than others I tried.
They describe the change on the product page and it seemed to me like a good idea. It has been years since I bought any. They used to carry a green, the name of which escapes me, that I really liked. It was grown in a rather cold climate and turned up later in the season than their other green teas. Unfortunately, not many other customers were as enamored with it as I was and it was discontinued. :cry:
Last edited by MacGuffin on Jul 4th, '13, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Jul 4th, '13, 01:20

by debunix » Jul 4th, '13, 01:20

Chilled mystery sencha today, just right for a road trip. Bought some more of this mystery tea over the weekend because there's plenty more summer heat to come....

+ Post Reply