Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 30th, '15, 03:59

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Tead Off » Jul 30th, '15, 03:59

Matabay's Gyokuro Super Premium. When you read the hype on their website, you expect the tea to deliver something special. I was ready, but not for this disappointment. It wasn't terrible, but there are much better gyokuros out there. Perhaps I should have bought their Pinnacle, but this grade that I drank should have much more umami and fuller flavor. A big let-down for me. How will I recover? :cry:
Matabay Gyokuro.jpg
Matabay Gyokuro.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 1696 times

Jul 30th, '15, 17:55

by JRS22 » Jul 30th, '15, 17:55

A late day session of Chinese greens steeped in my beautiful blue Seong-il onggi hobin. First up, Lu An Gua Pian, followed by an inexpensive but pleasant Curled Dragon Silver Tips.

Jul 30th, '15, 18:49

by NateHevens » Jul 30th, '15, 18:49

Jade Snail from Adagio! Cold brewed, on second brew.

I'm experimenting with this cold brew thing and here's what I've found so far:

1. Second brews are always better (read: less bitter, more smooth) than first brews.
2. Never drink the last ounce on the first brew... it's just tannins.
3. Max Falkowitz over at Serious Eats said a good 8-10 grams of leaf is perfect for 32 fl oz of cold water. Maybe he likes a more astringent brew? Seems to me it depends on the tea. I seem to prefer less leaf to more, so...

It's rather hot and humid in New York right now, on Long Island. So cold brew is way more refreshing than a hot brew. Plus, it helps me get through the ridiculous amounts of tea I have faster. I'm enjoying it!

Aug 1st, '15, 06:27

by Puerlife » Aug 1st, '15, 06:27

Quite some time ago I complained about a Harney and Sons sencha on this thread. I still have it and recently tried it again a few times and to my surprise it has changed color from bluish to dull green and the taste is now within the range of cheap sencha. Since I haven't been drinking any Japanese tea for a long time, even cheap sencha is a joy that evokes my many years of casually drinking sencha in Japan.
My wife was recently in Japan on business and brought me back 100 grams of sencha, a bit over 1,000 yen, she said. It brews up bright green and is bitter, grassy, and has a quick but lasting umami finish. Mmmmmm, sencha, I have missed you. I am sure you all will be hearing more from me in the future in this forum. I still like good puer but right now I have a strong hankering for the green stuff from Japan. The directions say to use seven grams at 60 to 70 celsius so that's what I did, in a large gaiwan.
FWIW, their website is here, but I don't see my beautiful package in their online store: http://araienhonten.co.jp/

Aug 1st, '15, 12:28

by debunix » Aug 1st, '15, 12:28

A lovely session this morning with 2015 Hou Village Feng Nie Jian, from a green tea tasting set from Tea Habitat. I love how such a small quantity of leaves makes 2 or 3 delicious and beautiful infusions Grandpa style in Petr's Flower of Forgetfulness.

The aftermath demonstrates the careful handling of the leaves during processing.

Aug 2nd, '15, 01:16

by Tead Off » Aug 2nd, '15, 01:16

Back at Matabay's Gyokuro Super Premium. I tried a different approach adding 7g into 120ml Banko hohin. 60°/2 minutes gave me a much more flavorful brew, still soft with decent umami.

Aug 2nd, '15, 03:36
Location: meditation center in Malaysia (from 2 July to New Year 2018 at least) but on the way to KL on 29 Jun

by the_winding_path » Aug 2nd, '15, 03:36

I'm drinking Tamakatsura Gyokuro from Tsuen in Uji. It's nice, their third tier gyokuro but I am disappointed with it. Compared to the same price/level of other gyokuro in Kyoto it doesn't stand up. 95% of the flavor disappears after the second infusion with the first infusion being a prep for the second and just a few drops, literally (very low water temps, 100°F max). Can't wait to finish this and get back to gyokuro from Horaido.

Aug 8th, '15, 08:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Mrs. Chip » Aug 8th, '15, 08:39

Asanoka at the TeaTable on the patio with Chip this morning. Extremely enjoyable. 8)

Aug 8th, '15, 21:12

by chrl42 » Aug 8th, '15, 21:12

debunix wrote:A lovely session this morning with 2015 Hou Village Feng Nie Jian, from a green tea tasting set from Tea Habitat. I love how such a small quantity of leaves makes 2 or 3 delicious and beautiful infusions Grandpa style in Petr's Flower of Forgetfulness.

The aftermath demonstrates the careful handling of the leaves during processing.

Looks like made in the fashion of Tai Ping Hou Kui, the tea name is really unheard of. :D

Aug 9th, '15, 00:54

by Tead Off » Aug 9th, '15, 00:54

Name that matcha. :D
Matcha Memory.jpg
Matcha Memory.jpg (81.34 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

Aug 9th, '15, 02:52
Vendor Member

by ethan » Aug 9th, '15, 02:52

Teadoff, Is that a trick ??

Drinking karigane houjicha from Den's tea. W/ my tastebuds in flux; or, definitely changed, I like this quite a bit.

Aug 9th, '15, 04:25

by Tead Off » Aug 9th, '15, 04:25

ethan wrote:Teadoff, Is that a trick ??
No, that was a question. :lol:

Aug 10th, '15, 14:29

by StavA » Aug 10th, '15, 14:29

Just tried Yame Gyokuro from O-cha with the wife.

Had gyokuro in the past but it was nothing like this.

I think this is the first time I drank a quality gyokuro prepared properly.

Mind blown with sensory overload.

I now understand why gyokuro is prepared and served in such small portions. Drinking experience was much more akin to drinking a complex whiskey than every day tea. I am going to need a little time to process this experience.

Aug 11th, '15, 04:03

by chrl42 » Aug 11th, '15, 04:03

Zhang Yi Yuan's Gold Medal Hui Ming.

The gold medal is what they got during the Panama Int. Expo in the early 20c, it's a name given to quality Hui Ming. The tea comes from ethnic She people's village of Zhejiang province...pretty good for the price I'd say.

Aug 14th, '15, 05:11

by Rui » Aug 14th, '15, 05:11

Sipping some Nonpareil Cha Wang Tai Ping Hou Kui green tea from Teavivre.

My goodness but these leaves are very long and the tea's aroma and taste is just excellent. I really should have bought it earlier.

+ Post Reply