Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 30th, '11, 14:18
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: What GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Chip » Jun 30th, '11, 14:18

Just opened a bag of the new offering ORGANIC Kagoshima ASAMUSHI from O-Cha around an hour ago. I took one serving out and am letting it sit in open air. So I think it will be ready to brew shortly.
http://www.o-cha.com/organic-kagoshima- ... encha.html
At 21$ I am thinking this should be a very good value, and Kagoshima organic asamushi seems hard to come by.

Jun 30th, '11, 16:17

by Drax » Jun 30th, '11, 16:17

It looks yellow (relative to the others) in the brewing picture, so I'm very curious how this one tastes (the kagoshima asamushi, that is)!

Had a nice bowl of matcha this afternoon, kaoru supreme... added a scoop more than normal, and was still quite delicious.

Jun 30th, '11, 16:29

by Chip » Jun 30th, '11, 16:29

Drax wrote:It looks yellow (relative to the others) in the brewing picture, so I'm very curious how this one tastes (the kagoshima asamushi, that is)!
Heh, I brewed this up very soon after opening, so I do not place too much credence in the results of this session ... plus I was distracted. I will brew it tomorrow again.

I did note a cherry tobacco aroma of the leaves in the pot after pouring several steeps ... see if that repeats next time.

The dry leaves are a nice dark green. Sometimes organic sencha can be a bit lighter than conventionally grown sencha.

Jun 30th, '11, 17:27

by Chasm » Jun 30th, '11, 17:27

Chip wrote:Just opened a bag of the new offering ORGANIC Kagoshima ASAMUSHI from O-Cha around an hour ago. I took one serving out and am letting it sit in open air. So I think it will be ready to brew shortly.
http://www.o-cha.com/organic-kagoshima- ... encha.html
At 21$ I am thinking this should be a very good value, and Kagoshima organic asamushi seems hard to come by.

All right, you got me hanging -- what's the purpose of letting it sit out in the air first? And here I've been doing my best to protect my greens from air exposure.

Jun 30th, '11, 22:50

by Chip » Jun 30th, '11, 22:50

A lot of us seem to feel that a nitro flushed bag of sencha needs to re-oxygenate before using ... or it may seem flat if brewed up immediately upon opening the new bag.

So, if you want to brew a session shortly after opening, I leave exactly enough for the one session only out to breath. The rest is carefully kept fresh and only exposed to air long enough to put the tea in its regular storage container.

Alternately, if you are more patient, you could open the bag, expose the tea to air, then close up the bag til the next day.

Jun 30th, '11, 22:59

by Cael » Jun 30th, '11, 22:59

I got in a whole big set of the new Adagio line of tea bags, and since today was tea and anime day, I have been sipping of various teas all day. We are now drinking the Dragonwell, which my partner in crime for the day had never had before, so it is going well.

Jul 1st, '11, 08:53

by tortoise » Jul 1st, '11, 08:53

Yutaka Midori making me smile this morning. :mrgreen:

Jul 2nd, '11, 11:18

by debunix » Jul 2nd, '11, 11:18

Just finished....I think....an 8 infusion session with O-Cha's "Aoi" sencha from Tsuen. Started low at 145 degrees, and up to 190 by the last steep (increasing by 10 degrees or so after 1-2 steeps). Mmmm....sweet to the last drop.

Jul 2nd, '11, 14:55

by NOESIS » Jul 2nd, '11, 14:55

The last of my second 50g bag of Ippodo shincha. :cry:

Jul 2nd, '11, 18:07
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 2nd, '11, 18:07

NOESIS wrote:The last of my second 50g bag of Ippodo shincha. :cry:
From this year, Noesis? Love it :D still 10 pots of it left :cry:

Jul 2nd, '11, 18:14

by NOESIS » Jul 2nd, '11, 18:14

Tim, 2011 indeed. I should have purchased a can, like I've done in years past. When I went back to place my last order, it was already sold out. I should have known better.

Jul 2nd, '11, 18:33
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jul 2nd, '11, 18:33

NOESIS wrote:Tim, 2011 indeed. I should have purchased a can, like I've done in years past. When I went back to place my last order, it was already sold out. I should have known better.
Welll, that's what fun about shincha, it's a taste of spring and there is always next Spring :) a taste to remember and look foward to. Enjoy the fond memory from this year and carry that to next. ~ T

Jul 3rd, '11, 00:21

by bagua7 » Jul 3rd, '11, 00:21

TIM wrote:
NOESIS wrote:It's a taste of spring and there is always next Spring :) a taste to remember and look foward to. Enjoy the fond memory from this year and carry that to next. ~ T
For sure. Can't wait for year of water dragon, a highly auspicious one with a promising and rich harvest. :)

Jul 4th, '11, 11:26

by Stentor » Jul 4th, '11, 11:26

Having a wonderful session of O-Cha's Sae Midori shincha, thanks to brewing tips by fellow TeaChatters DBentz, Chip, TIM and NOESIS. Thank you!!
Really delicious stuff that I had not been doing justice before.
Now I brewed 4 g in 4 oz at 62° C (preheated Tokoname) for one minute and it turned out very very nice!

Jul 7th, '11, 16:27

by NOESIS » Jul 7th, '11, 16:27

My first session with Gyokuro Karigane from Ippodo. I'm a big fan of their top 3 gyos, but wanted to give this more budget friendly version a try ($20/100g). 3 steeps so far, and loads of umami and sweet veggie protein flavor. Not the quite the viscosity of an orthodox gyo, but still a very worthy tea. First brew 7g/90ml in Hagi houhin, 140F for 2 min.

+ Post Reply