Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 13th, '17, 13:20

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by victoria3 » Jan 13th, '17, 13:20

Noonie wrote:
victoria3 wrote:Nice to see your pot in action Ferg. I leave my sencha /sincha /gyokuros in their original pouches to minimize oxygen degrading the fine green leaves, carefully removing air pockets and re-sealing with bag clips. Oolongs I do put a two week portion in canisters though, they seem to perform better 'waking up' in the canister. I have also noticed that older unopened sencha/sincha teas degrade much faster once opened and need to be finished quickly.

This morning I finally finished Maiko's Sincha Sencha Kinari from 2013. It was still very nice; smooth, vegetal, sweet umami, warm and rich. Steeped in my new Shimizu Ken Nosaka Back Handle Kyusu from Ferg. Thank You, great form and clay, pours perfectly too Image
I'm surprised that a Sencha from 2013 is still good. How did you store this while unopened?
I posted about it last year- but basically a dedicated drawer in refrigerator for unopened vacu-sealed teas, with teas then secured inside a Loksak's Opsak ziplock bag to block odors and humidity and a Mylar bag over that to block light. When taking tea out of refrigerator let unopened bag rest at least 24hr-48hr before opening in order to acclimatize. After opening let rest another 24hrs. before using.
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... rigerating

Jan 13th, '17, 21:46

by pizzapotamus » Jan 13th, '17, 21:46

Completing the circle of inspiration I finally hit the Aoi that Ferg was kind enough to send along with the pot. Tasted pretty good to me, first steep was fairly grassy, 2nd was my favorite a bit less green tasting and balanced by a touch of brininess, 3rd steep was milder but had good aftertaste. Being extremely generous with the tea Ferg also include some maiko kinari and o-cha sae midori with the warning that they'd been open for a while and might not be at their peak. He's probably right although they're still enjoyable, mellow and smooth. For the Kinari I've ended up bumping the temp up to around 175 for more astringency.
Attachments
aoi3rd.jpg
aoi3rd.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Jan 14th, '17, 11:14

by JRS22 » Jan 14th, '17, 11:14

Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:Hobo never posts harvest year. Do you question him about that before buying tea the Asahina?
Yes. I'm pretty sure he said 2016, but I could be wrong. I'm not wrong about the tea, though. :D
I'll find out soon enough as I just ordered 100 grams of the Asahina. I also ordered some of Hojo's Jasmine tea because the prices weren't high given the lyrical prose in the descriptions.

Jan 14th, '17, 21:04

by Tead Off » Jan 14th, '17, 21:04

JRS22 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
JRS22 wrote:Hobo never posts harvest year. Do you question him about that before buying tea the Asahina?
Yes. I'm pretty sure he said 2016, but I could be wrong. I'm not wrong about the tea, though. :D
I'll find out soon enough as I just ordered 100 grams of the Asahina. I also ordered some of Hojo's Jasmine tea because the prices weren't high given the lyrical prose in the descriptions.
I've almost always found that good Gyokuro can be brewed with 5g/70ml teapot, @ 50c for 2 minutes. This is usually my starting point. Subsequent brews begin to climb in heat, 55c, 57.5c, etc. Hope you like it. :D

Jan 16th, '17, 03:21

by Rui » Jan 16th, '17, 03:21

2016 Nonpareil Cha Wang Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea from Teavivre. Trying to finish all the green teas ahead of the new harvest in few months time.

Jan 16th, '17, 09:29

by JRS22 » Jan 16th, '17, 09:29

Tead Off wrote: I've almost always found that good Gyokuro can be brewed with 5g/70ml teapot, @ 50c for 2 minutes. This is usually my starting point. Subsequent brews begin to climb in heat, 55c, 57.5c, etc. Hope you like it. :D
I just received a shipping notice from Hojo so the tea is on its way. Your brewing temperatures are lower than what I've been using so I tried them on a new bag of Uji Gyokuro Kamejirushi from O-Cha with excellent results.

Jan 16th, '17, 10:22

by Tead Off » Jan 16th, '17, 10:22

JRS22 wrote:
Tead Off wrote: I've almost always found that good Gyokuro can be brewed with 5g/70ml teapot, @ 50c for 2 minutes. This is usually my starting point. Subsequent brews begin to climb in heat, 55c, 57.5c, etc. Hope you like it. :D
I just received a shipping notice from Hojo so the tea is on its way. Your brewing temperatures are lower than what I've been using so I tried them on a new bag of Uji Gyokuro Kamejirushi from O-Cha with excellent results.
Great!

Jan 21st, '17, 13:51

by JRS22 » Jan 21st, '17, 13:51

I have an awful cold and very little oxygen is getting in, so I figure I'm missing a lot of the aroma of tea. Just at this time when I need hot drinks I can't appreciate Gyokuro. I'm taking this opportunity to use up some older teas - matcha iri genmaicha and Sakura sencha. They both taste excellent brewed in this pot from Shaun at Greenwood Studios which I've nicknamed my calligraphy shib.
Attachments
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG (54.47 KiB) Viewed 366 times

Jan 22nd, '17, 16:52

by Noonie » Jan 22nd, '17, 16:52

JRS22 wrote:I have an awful cold and very little oxygen is getting in, so I figure I'm missing a lot of the aroma of tea. Just at this time when I need hot drinks I can't appreciate Gyokuro. I'm taking this opportunity to use up some older teas - matcha iri genmaicha and Sakura sencha. They both taste excellent brewed in this pot from Shaun at Greenwood Studios which I've nicknamed my calligraphy shib.
I have a shib like that from Shaun, but lighter in colour. I love it for Sencha. Very easy to use, and rinse out afterwards.

Jan 23rd, '17, 05:29

by JRS22 » Jan 23rd, '17, 05:29

Noonie wrote:
JRS22 wrote:I have an awful cold and very little oxygen is getting in, so I figure I'm missing a lot of the aroma of tea. Just at this time when I need hot drinks I can't appreciate Gyokuro. I'm taking this opportunity to use up some older teas - matcha iri genmaicha and Sakura sencha. They both taste excellent brewed in this pot from Shaun at Greenwood Studios which I've nicknamed my calligraphy shib.
I have a shib like that from Shaun, but lighter in colour. I love it for Sencha. Very easy to use, and rinse out afterwards.
The shib has a "rustic" finish but is thin walled for its size and smooth inside. It's 175 ml so too big for sencha or gyo for me but a pleasure to use for any tea that doesn't get resteeped more than once.

Jan 23rd, '17, 23:02

by davidglass » Jan 23rd, '17, 23:02

Thanks for all the replies to my question about which are the best gyokuros. I'll probably order from Hojo this time.

Jan 26th, '17, 05:43

by Rui » Jan 26th, '17, 05:43

Except for yesterday, so far this week I have been sipping Tian Mu Qing Ding. A couple more days and all the 2016 green tea will be finished and then I can wait for the new spring 2017 green teas coming out in few months.

Jan 26th, '17, 08:21

by Nirraven » Jan 26th, '17, 08:21

I am pretty new in the teaworld and tested some variations.
Recently i noticed that i like karigane a lot, i like that great body and sweetness.

Jan 26th, '17, 13:54

by JRS22 » Jan 26th, '17, 13:54

Nirraven wrote:I am pretty new in the teaworld and tested some variations.
Recently i noticed that i like karigane a lot, i like that great body and sweetness.
Karigane is one of my favorite teas. O-Cha has two distinct variations - Karigane sencha otsuusan and Karigane Gyokuro asa-giri.

Jan 26th, '17, 15:14

by victoria3 » Jan 26th, '17, 15:14

JRS22 wrote:
Nirraven wrote:I am pretty new in the teaworld and tested some variations.
Karigane is one of my favorite teas. O-Cha has two distinct variations - Karigane sencha otsuusan and Karigane Gyokuro asa-giri.
Yes, O-Cha's selection is very good. Maiko also has a smooth buttery umami rich Karigane (Kukicha) Tenka Ichi.

+ Post Reply