Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 8th, '11, 15:16

Re: What GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Mintaka » Sep 8th, '11, 15:16

Currently drinking hojicha, a nice and very buttery bi luo chun, huang shan mao feng, superior west lake longjing, a rather twiggy sencha, and some gyokuro from adagio. My next desires are tai ping hou kui and lu'an guapian.

Sep 9th, '11, 10:48

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 9th, '11, 10:48

I'm enjoying Yuuki-Cha's Organic Kagoshima Kuradashi Kabusecha Asanoka. It's been aged for about a year, and it has a pleasant rich sweetness to it. I found using 1 teaspoon's worth of tea is almost too much, so I'm using half a teaspoon now to keep the intense umami of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th cups down to a reasonable level. Overall, pretty neat stuff.

Sep 9th, '11, 14:58

by AdamMY » Sep 9th, '11, 14:58

2010 Okitsugawa Supreme Sencha from O-Cha, bought it during the super sale earlier this year and got distracted with Shincha, so I just got around to opening it up. I think it might have lost a touch of freshness but still quite good.

Sep 9th, '11, 20:13

by brlarson » Sep 9th, '11, 20:13

I splurged and brewed temomicha from Kaburagien two days in a row. The can has been open for a month and I don't want this delicious tea to go stale, so I'm drinking it up. First infusion at 100F for 90 secs, second infusion at 110F for 2 mins, third at 120F for 3 mins. The 4th and 5th infusions had lost their sweetness but still had plenty of bite. So far, this has been my second favorite tea this year.

Sep 13th, '11, 13:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 13th, '11, 13:12

brlarson wrote:I splurged and brewed temomicha from Kaburagien two days in a row. The can has been open for a month and I don't want this delicious tea to go stale, so I'm drinking it up. First infusion at 100F for 90 secs, second infusion at 110F for 2 mins, third at 120F for 3 mins. The 4th and 5th infusions had lost their sweetness but still had plenty of bite. So far, this has been my second favorite tea this year.
Let me know if you need help keeping this from going stale! :wink:

Can you tell us how your dealings with this vendor proceeded?

I just opened a West Lake Long Jing brought back from China by a TCer friend. She was told that this Long Jing "never leaves China." I will try it tomorrow.

I will check out a few leaves today, visually ... closely.

This is the second Long Jing that "never leaves China" that I have received from a TCer visiting China this year. :mrgreen:

Sep 13th, '11, 15:41

by brlarson » Sep 13th, '11, 15:41

Chip wrote:
brlarson wrote:I splurged and brewed temomicha from Kaburagien two days in a row. The can has been open for a month and I don't want this delicious tea to go stale, so I'm drinking it up.
Let me know if you need help keeping this from going stale! :wink:
If Kaburagien offers temomicha again this year then I am definitely getting more, and if I do then I'll forward some to you.
Chip wrote:Can you tell us how your dealings with this vendor proceeded?
Working with Kaburagien was very easy. I pre-ordered ``88 nights'' back on March 17 and Kaburagien notified my when it was available on May 10. I requested that they add temomicha from Gifu Shirakawa to my order and then send the bill to my paypal account.

The process was quick and easy and both teas were wonderful. I am planning to buy from them again.
Chip wrote:I just opened a West Lake Long Jing brought back from China by a TCer friend. She was told that this Long Jing "never leaves China." I will try it tomorrow...
Looking forward to hearing about them. My greens have all Japanese this year 8)

Sep 13th, '11, 16:05

by Chip » Sep 13th, '11, 16:05

brlarson wrote:
Chip wrote:I just opened a West Lake Long Jing brought back from China by a TCer friend. She was told that this Long Jing "never leaves China." I will try it tomorrow...
Looking forward to hearing about them. My greens have all Japanese this year 8)
I will send you some of this latest West Lake LJ if you would like to try it, it is 2011. The other one was actually a smaller (but much appreciated) sample of 2010, but was quite good nevertheless.

Thanks for the info on the Kaburagien dealings. They have been on my list to try for 3-4 years.

I lump them with the other vendors that require an added couple steps in order to complete a transaction such as Horraido, Hojo and a few others (Iannon's Temomi guy). I want to try them, but the added steps have always prevented me in the past.

Sep 14th, '11, 11:52

by NOESIS » Sep 14th, '11, 11:52

Yamashita-Jirushi gyo from Maiko. Tons of umami and heavy duty caffeine/theanine buzz. :mrgreen:

Sep 14th, '11, 14:11

by Terri » Sep 14th, '11, 14:11

This Matcha powdered green tea from Shizuoka. called Mr. Suzukis..has a different robust flavor to it..I like to add a a couple teaspoons of sugar and lemon juice..

Sep 15th, '11, 14:48

by rdl » Sep 15th, '11, 14:48

Terri wrote:This Matcha powdered green tea from Shizuoka. called Mr. Suzukis..has a different robust flavor to it..I like to add a a couple teaspoons of sugar and lemon juice..
i am not sure of the flavor of this matcha but what i cannot imagine is the taste of lemon juice in matcha. how does the citric taste interact with the matcha? it is something i would never have thought of. is this fairly common for matcha drinkers who like to add other ingredients?

Sep 15th, '11, 15:23

by Chip » Sep 15th, '11, 15:23

rdl wrote:
Terri wrote:This Matcha powdered green tea from Shizuoka. called Mr. Suzukis..has a different robust flavor to it..I like to add a a couple teaspoons of sugar and lemon juice..
i am not sure of the flavor of this matcha but what i cannot imagine is the taste of lemon juice in matcha. how does the citric taste interact with the matcha? it is something i would never have thought of. is this fairly common for matcha drinkers who like to add other ingredients?
Not with the finer grades.

I think Terri mentioned that she is not so traditional Japanese in another post ... in so many words. She is a Japanese American with lots of American influence. :wink:

But what other greens does she drink??? :mrgreen:

Sep 15th, '11, 16:18

by rdl » Sep 15th, '11, 16:18

Chip wrote:
rdl wrote:
Not with the finer grades.

I think Terri mentioned that she is not so traditional Japanese in another post ... in so many words. She is a Japanese American with lots of American influence. :wink:

But what other greens does she drink??? :mrgreen:
i hope my comment didn't take on a tone of questioning anyone's preference for tea. i am just so curious of the interaction of lemon juice and (sweetened) matcha. i add fresh lemon to unsweetened iced black tea, so i know that combination. maybe i should try it to answer my curiousity, this combination of lemon/matcha.

Sep 15th, '11, 16:30

by Chip » Sep 15th, '11, 16:30

rdl wrote:i hope my comment didn't take on a tone of questioning anyone's preference for tea. i am just so curious of the interaction of lemon juice and (sweetened) matcha. i add fresh lemon to unsweetened iced black tea, so i know that combination. maybe i should try it to answer my curiousity, this combination of lemon/matcha.
I did not take this as any kind of a "tone," just an inquiry.

Sep 15th, '11, 16:45

by teaisme » Sep 15th, '11, 16:45

Chip wrote: This is the second Long Jing that "never leaves China" that I have received from a TCer visiting China this year. :mrgreen:
Just to clarify I never said it never leaves china :wink:
It was a gifted to me by a government official while in Hangzhou. I would think there would be a big difference between the two :mrgreen:

Sep 15th, '11, 16:50

by Chip » Sep 15th, '11, 16:50

teaisme wrote:
Chip wrote: This is the second Long Jing that "never leaves China" that I have received from a TCer visiting China this year. :mrgreen:
Just to clarify I never said it never leaves china :wink:
It was a gifted to me by a government official while in Hangzhou. I would think there would be a big difference between the two :mrgreen:
Point taken, though there is a degree of mystery in both. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply