Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 23rd, '13, 21:46

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by AdamMY » Oct 23rd, '13, 21:46

Chip wrote:Finally three new sencha selections ... enjoyed the previous selections a lot but have been drinking the same teas for months.

Yame Asamushi Grade 1, reallllly good!
Uji Asamushi Premium, realllllllllly good!!!
Tenryu Special Asamushi, reallllllllllllly freakin' good!!!

More on these selections soon.
I dare say, aren't you NOTTI Chip :!: :wink: :D :lol:

Oct 23rd, '13, 22:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 23rd, '13, 22:04

AdamMY wrote:
Chip wrote:Finally three new sencha selections ... enjoyed the previous selections a lot but have been drinking the same teas for months.

Yame Asamushi Grade 1, reallllly good!
Uji Asamushi Premium, realllllllllly good!!!
Tenryu Special Asamushi, reallllllllllllly freakin' good!!!

More on these selections soon.
I dare say, aren't you NOTTI Chip :!: :wink: :D :lol:
I must confess, I am a NOTTI little boy!

Oct 23rd, '13, 22:31

by Chip » Oct 23rd, '13, 22:31

debunix wrote:It was a few days ago that I enjoyed this Tai Ping Hou Kui from Wing Hop Fung, but I'm just now doing some photographic housekeeping....

I love the look of these leaves.
Yeah, me too. :mrgreen: I always like a good TPHK, but like Long Jing, I am almost always suspect of authenticity.

I do have a free sample from Hojo ... need to take a respite from Japanese greens and try it.

Oct 25th, '13, 07:37

by ShawnP » Oct 25th, '13, 07:37

Spring organic grade 4 Matcha from Ryu Mei. Man I am not new to caffeine but wow this stuff wakes you up.

Need to order more because this wont last long. :lol:

Shawn

Oct 26th, '13, 12:47

by Chip » Oct 26th, '13, 12:47

Today it will be an interesting one.

Asatsuyu followed by Tenryu and finishing with Uji Asamushi Sencha Premiere Grade. :mrgreen:

Oct 26th, '13, 13:33

by Muadeeb » Oct 26th, '13, 13:33

Den's sencha shin ryoku is being finished up right now at my brother's place in san Francisco. I think it's way better than his sugimoto sencha.

Oct 26th, '13, 13:39

by Poohblah » Oct 26th, '13, 13:39

Shoike-no-o from Ippodo this morning... perfect everyday drinker. I love Kyoto-style sencha, and this one is astoundingly high quality for the price, especially since the yen has been weak recently.
debunix wrote:It was a few days ago that I enjoyed this Tai Ping Hou Kui from Wing Hop Fung, but I'm just now doing some photographic housekeeping....

I love the look of these leaves.
:shock:

Oct 26th, '13, 15:00
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 26th, '13, 15:00

'12 Spring Wu Liang Mtn. "Mao Feng" organic Yunnan green tea from YS:

I've heard that long names on wine labels often mean the wine is good, but I don't think that guideline works for tea.

This was greatly discounted; so, I added it to an order for some black tea from YS which has always been great. I don't taste nor feel much from this green tea. The leaves do look good dry or wet.

Oct 27th, '13, 11:27

by puerhking » Oct 27th, '13, 11:27

ethan wrote:'12 Spring Wu Liang Mtn. "Mao Feng" organic Yunnan green tea from YS:

I've heard that long names on wine labels often mean the wine is good, but I don't think that guideline works for tea.

This was greatly discounted; so, I added it to an order for some black tea from YS which has always been great. I don't taste nor feel much from this green tea. The leaves do look good dry or wet.
Never been to impressed with Yunnanese greens, but I agree the hong cha is quite good.

Oct 27th, '13, 18:23

by Muadeeb » Oct 27th, '13, 18:23

Sencha in the japanese tea garden in golden gate park, San Francisco.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/28/eneze6eh.jpg

Oct 27th, '13, 23:22

by chrl42 » Oct 27th, '13, 23:22

ethan wrote:'12 Spring Wu Liang Mtn. "Mao Feng" organic Yunnan green tea from YS:

Hmm..Wu Liang Mt. a primitive region north of Xishuang Banna, with hundreds year-old tea trees living in.

Although its aged soup isn't worshipped as Menghai's, but none-oxidised young buds could be very interesting! :)

Oct 28th, '13, 09:48

by mcrdotcom » Oct 28th, '13, 09:48

Summer Harvest Loashan Green from Verdant! Followed Debunix's green tea brewing regime a little, but used 4g for 120mL gaiwan instead of 1g per 50mL!

One hot flash rinse yielded a light nutty/grainy and buttery tea, almost like plain egg noodles.

30sec 1st cool infusion (70-80 degrees celsius): Like the hot rinse, but stronger with the buttery notes stronger than the grainy, and vegetal. Savoury and satisfying with the lightest of astringency lingering on the tongue.

60sec 2nd cool infusion: Same as above but more vegetal and a little more astringent on the tongue.

90sec 3rd cool infusion: Buttery, vegetal and slightly grainy, less astringent than 2nd infusion.

90sec 4th hotter infusion (80-90 degrees): Weaker tasting notes as above (grainy notes coming through more than butter), a bit more astringent.

120sec 5th hot infusion (~90 degrees): Vegetal and grainy, less astringent, quite light.

~3minute 6th hot infusion: Got the last bit out of this tea, yielded a sweet and vegetal flavour to finish :)

Oct 28th, '13, 09:58

by debunix » Oct 28th, '13, 09:58

Glad to have been of help. That first hot rinse does seem to open up some teas nicely, without setting off a lot of bitterness like a true infusion would.

Oct 28th, '13, 13:37
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 28th, '13, 13:37

I have a sample of the same tea (VT's Laoshan green) so thought to try it just after reading mrcrdotcom's post. I find the same flavors, but they don't please me. I think "subtle" tea is not for me (especially after 2 infusions of bold black tea to start my day). Remarkable: The aroma of vegetables is terribly strong, but the taste of vegetables is not so dominant.

Nov 2nd, '13, 15:04

Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by debunix » Nov 2nd, '13, 15:04

I am enjoying morning sencha for the first time in a few weeks--so nice to be at home on a not-too-rushed morning.

+ Post Reply