Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 3rd, '16, 23:07

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by Tead Off » Feb 3rd, '16, 23:07

You can't go wrong with Hokujo's shiboridashi. The clay is good, not typical Tokoname. Gyokuro and Temomicha go perfect inside this one. I also use it for very fine Sencha, not everyday teas, so to speak. For everyday Senchas, I suggest finding a Banko kyusu. They are probably the best overall clay for Sencha. I use a 70-75ml and a 120-130ml, depending on my mood and if I'm drinking alone.

Feb 8th, '16, 21:15
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 8th, '16, 21:15

2015 Baozhong I livened back up with some heat on the induction stove--much better now. I wasn't getting much flavor from it since it had been stored in a (sealed) mylar bag for almost a year. I was getting a vegetable oil taste from it that I didn't like. Heat brought the sweet fruit and floral aromas out again, but it's not as intense as it was when fresh.

Drinking Sanxia longjing now. I could drink Sanxia green tea every day! Cold water rinse, then 85 Celsius water poured into a cheap and very thin-walled gaiwan I picked up in Hainan two years ago. I'm drinking directly from the gaiwan. The flavor is intense and sweet this way. Interestingly, much nicer than from a pot or glass, and I didn't use much leaf at all. I think I'll drink my Taiwanese greens this way from now on!

Feb 10th, '16, 22:15
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 10th, '16, 22:15

High mountain wild Assamica green maocha from Northern Vietnam. Brewing and drinking from a gaiwan. Like a very nice gushu pu erh.

Feb 15th, '16, 03:40
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 15th, '16, 03:40

Vietnamese green from Tan Cuong. Nice change from pu erh. Not the best tea I have from Tan Cuong, but it certainly packs a caffeine punch!

Feb 18th, '16, 08:26
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 18th, '16, 08:26

Drinking Thai Nguyen green tea from Chinatown in Saigon--bulk pack (500g). Sweet and pleasant at 85C. In a Hario glass teapot and in discount store Jingdezhen teacups.

Feb 24th, '16, 12:04

by debunix » Feb 24th, '16, 12:04

Today I discovered a little bit of An Ji Bai Cha in a bag that was pushed to the back of the green tea box, and am enjoying it for breakfast, enjoying it from a Petr Novak cup where the crackled white glaze increases the sensation of movement from the convection within the tea; and the subtle glow on the shaded side of the cup is reminiscent of the character of the tea--sweet, floral, delicate, vegetable--one that sits on the divide between white and green styles.

Feb 25th, '16, 02:23
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Feb 25th, '16, 02:23

Sanxia green. Must remember to buy more of this stuff. I could drink it every day!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCM1XaayCur/

Mar 1st, '16, 01:25

by chrl42 » Mar 1st, '16, 01:25

Sencha in Yixing teapots...

Nowadays I am pretty interested in relationship between the Japanese and Yixings..getting to know why they (the Japanese) had to prefer those Oolong Zhuni-hus for Senchado.

The small teapots earn a better result for delicate steamed greens like Sencha or Gyokuro, better pouring, thin wall..as a result Gongfu teapot was perfect choice for that. It was only Chaozhou (Yancha) and the Japanese (Gyokyro) peeps who could use pots like 60ml for drinking tea in the world then :D

The only difference between the two groups might be Oolong drinkers would want longer lid-teeth (to prevent falling when handling) and the Japanese want shorter-teeth (so less water leaks when closing)..and it was Japanese influence that inspired Yixing potters to make multiple or ball-shaped filters on Yixings, because steamed greens the leaves are often broken that block the spouts..

I heard the Chouzhou and south Fujianese were the first one who seriously took the way of preparing tea..but so were the Japanese...as they had been maintaining the fashion of Tang-Song :D while Yuan dynasty's Mongols destroyed everything China :evil:

Mar 1st, '16, 22:05

by Tead Off » Mar 1st, '16, 22:05

Good points, Chrl42!

Mar 3rd, '16, 17:52

by JRS22 » Mar 3rd, '16, 17:52

Karigane Asa-giri from O-Cha in a Junzo Maekawa Shudei pot.
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.63 KiB) Viewed 840 times

Mar 3rd, '16, 20:30

by debunix » Mar 3rd, '16, 20:30

Lovely setup to promote relaxed enjoyment of your tea.

Mar 3rd, '16, 21:07

by Frisbeehead » Mar 3rd, '16, 21:07

Hey guys,

So for my birthday at the beginning of December Thes du Japon sent me a 100g packet of one of their senchas. I have not opened it yet, and it has been in my closet on my tea shelf since I got it. The temperature in my room is usually around 66-69F. Do you think it would be worth it to put the sealed packet in the fridge? I only just not really started to think about the possibility of the sencha degrading. It hasn't been opened, but I have read that the tea still degrades in the nitrogen sealed packets.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: By the way, beautiful setup JRS22. I love those Junzo shudei pots with the back handle

Mar 3rd, '16, 21:50

by JRS22 » Mar 3rd, '16, 21:50

I agonized over the shudei, which is 65 ml, vs a kobiwako kyusu, at 110 ml. I really don't need any more larger pots so I went with this one.

I might end up using it for yancha - it's got a direct filter which works well for gyo as well as yancha. It's really beautifully made.

Mar 4th, '16, 01:54

by Tead Off » Mar 4th, '16, 01:54

Frisbeehead wrote:Do you think it would be worth it to put the sealed packet in the fridge?

Yes, if you are not going to drink it any time soon. Freezer or cooler part of your fridge. Allow it some hours after removing so moisture on the exterior evaporates. Maybe put it into a ziplock, first, then freeze.

Mar 5th, '16, 10:36

by debunix » Mar 5th, '16, 10:36

Organic Zairai sencha from O-Cha.....sweet, floral, delicate, delicious on a gray overcast morning with just enough chill to enchance the tea experience. Sencha happiness.

+ Post Reply