A Great Everyday Sencha From Hojo

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Nov 14th, '10, 20:27

Re: A Great Everyday Sencha From Hojo

by tortoise » Nov 14th, '10, 20:27

I have sweet-hearted numerous tea ware AND tea from Hojo. One day I will place an order, but it will be difficult to view all the things I can't buy. I am glad to hear your endorsement of specific products.

Nov 14th, '10, 21:02

by guitar9876 » Nov 14th, '10, 21:02

Thanks for sharing. Norbu tea also just started carrying a Sencha from the Zairai varietal.
http://www.norbutea.com/HonYamaZairaiSe ... egory_id=0

Nov 15th, '10, 00:13

by Ambrose » Nov 15th, '10, 00:13

Ive tried both of these senchas and other teas from Hojo. These are the very best ive ever tasted. Im getting ready to place another order soon of hon yama hebizuka, very clear notes smooth, mellow sweet green tea candy! His asahina gyokuro and hebizuka gyokuro are also very divine! :D

Nov 15th, '10, 00:28

by auhckw » Nov 15th, '10, 00:28

Ambrose wrote:Ive tried both of these senchas and other teas from Hojo. These are the very best ive ever tasted. Im getting ready to place another order soon of hon yama hebizuka, very clear notes smooth, mellow sweet green tea candy! His asahina gyokuro and hebizuka gyokuro are also very divine! :D
Since you are at it... Karigane is good and cheap too

Nov 15th, '10, 15:58

by JRS22 » Nov 15th, '10, 15:58

I have so much tea in the house I could probably last until spring - but I really want to try those jasmine pearls. So for those of you who are praising it - are the pearls green tea, or really pouchong?

Also, I sent Hojo an email asking about the TPHK. Here was his response:
As for Taiping Houkui, there are 2 types of production.
One is made with the traditional method using bamboo basket called Hon Long. The basket is placed on the fire and entire process is carried out on charcoal fire. If you look for the high-end TH, it is usually produced in this way and tea has some smoky aroma.

Another method is to process using mechanical dryer. Some high quality tea is also produced in this method. With this method, tea does not have smoky aroma.

My quality is made based on the traditional method. However the 2010 batch was very moderately fired and therefore it gives no smoky aroma. It gives very delicate flowery aroma.

The quality of TH is judged not by the aroma or flavor, but the intensity of after taste. The higher the quality, the stronger the after taste.

Nov 15th, '10, 21:03

by edkrueger » Nov 15th, '10, 21:03

Translation? The taste and aroma of my tea aren't that great?

Nov 17th, '10, 03:53

by Ambrose » Nov 17th, '10, 03:53

I didnt get that from the read, from what I understand he is just talking about his tea and production used. Hojo has some of the best teas ive ever tasted so im sure that tea is great!

Nov 17th, '10, 07:08

by JRS22 » Nov 17th, '10, 07:08

edkrueger wrote:Translation? The taste and aroma of my tea aren't that great?
Hojo was responding to my question about one aspect of the taste and aroma. This was my question:
I ordered a version of this tea from another vendor that was supposed to be of very high quality. There was a smoky taste to the tea that I did not expect and did not enjoy. Is that to be expected in Taiping Houkui? Will I experience that if I purchase the tea from you?
I interpreted his response to mean that the smoky quality was minimal and the other hoped for flavors would not be obscured.

Nov 18th, '10, 23:07

by britt » Nov 18th, '10, 23:07

auhckw wrote:Nope, I didn't try the Taiping Houkui yet. Bought it last minute without trying :)

But if you have not tried their Yun Feng, you should.
http://hojotea.com/item_e/g08e.htm
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14288

Few weeks ago, I brought it to another teashop and treat them and they say it has a little longjing kind of taste.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try it next time I place an order!

Nov 18th, '10, 23:09

by britt » Nov 18th, '10, 23:09

David R. wrote:I really have to try more things in Hojo's tea selection.
I'm wondering why I didn't try them sooner. Although I just got my first two orders a week ago, I'm already thinking about what will be in my next one!

Nov 18th, '10, 23:12

by britt » Nov 18th, '10, 23:12

tortoise wrote:I have sweet-hearted numerous tea ware AND tea from Hojo. One day I will place an order, but it will be difficult to view all the things I can't buy. I am glad to hear your endorsement of specific products.
When I do go to Hojo's website to look at tea, I always manage to go to the teaware section first. It is difficult bypassing it, and more difficult not to purchase any. I don't need any more kyusu, but that doesn't mean I don't want them.

Nov 18th, '10, 23:15

by britt » Nov 18th, '10, 23:15

JRS22 wrote:I have so much tea in the house I could probably last until spring - but I really want to try those jasmine pearls. So for those of you who are praising it - are the pearls green tea, or really pouchong?
I think in their product description it was referred to as a Fujian? green tea that was certified organic by a Swiss certification authority. I'll try to find it next time I visit their website.

Nov 19th, '10, 07:49

by David R. » Nov 19th, '10, 07:49

britt wrote:
David R. wrote:I really have to try more things in Hojo's tea selection.
I'm wondering why I didn't try them sooner. Although I just got my first two orders a week ago, I'm already thinking about what will be in my next one!
hum hum... already on the next one... With the double OTTI I have received, I will skip the japanese teas for now, focusing on chinese greens, taiwanese oolong and newly arrived dan cong. Maybe some piece of teaware also... :roll:

+ Post Reply