Matcha for beginners

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 1st, '11, 12:07

Re: Matcha for beginners

by GreenwoodStudio » Jan 1st, '11, 12:07

I'm glad to see a thread about this. I have to admit that my first attempt at a Matcha purchase was an ill-informed one (I should have read up more on TeaChat :wink: ) Also I should have read the description of the product better, when they said "Matcha Style" I think what a bought is more like a powdered Sencha? I do like it however, and have been adding varied amounts to Genmaicha for a little extra kick. So, does anyone know anything about this product? Am I correct in thinking it's a powdered Sencha, or am I fooling myself and it's more like the green tea equivalent to instant coffee :?

Jan 1st, '11, 15:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jan 1st, '11, 15:34

GREENWOODSTUDIO wrote:I'm glad to see a thread about this. I have to admit that my first attempt at a Matcha purchase was an ill-informed one (I should have read up more on TeaChat :wink: ) Also I should have read the description of the product better, when they said "Matcha Style" I think what a bought is more like a powdered Sencha? I do like it however, and have been adding varied amounts to Genmaicha for a little extra kick. So, does anyone know anything about this product? Am I correct in thinking it's a powdered Sencha, or am I fooling myself and it's more like the green tea equivalent to instant coffee :?

The 4 characters in the green 'tear drop' say 'funmatsu ryokucha' -- or 'finely powdered green tea.' I'd have to see a closer picture to tell anything else, unless if somebody else is already familiar with it.

As far as I know, ryokucha is a generic term for green tea and does not necessarily imply sencha or matcha.

Jan 1st, '11, 20:22
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Jan 1st, '11, 20:22

That is not matcha...

Jan 4th, '11, 01:52

by Garrett » Jan 4th, '11, 01:52

This has been a great thread for me, as I'm just waiting for my first matcha order to arrive.

My chawan arrived today and I'm already chomping at the bit to use it. 8)

Mar 15th, '11, 07:08

by odarwin » Mar 15th, '11, 07:08

is there a rule on what type of whisk (80 or 100 prong) to use for which type of matcha (koicha or usucha)?

and as a beginner, what type (80 or 100 prong) would you guys recommend me to use? considering that i would like to be able to try both koicha and usucha with the use of only 1 whisk at the moment, and why?

thanks!
:D

Mar 15th, '11, 14:05

by casadetrevino » Mar 15th, '11, 14:05

I too am new to matcha. The only kind I have tried is from Teavana, I really like it. However, at $20 for 1.5 oz. I only enjoy it periodically as a treat.
What I'd love to find is a good, not necessarily high-grade, matcha that is priced low enough to enjoy every day.
Has anyone tried this matcha on Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Matcha-Green-Tea- ... roduct_top

Mar 15th, '11, 14:43

by olivierco » Mar 15th, '11, 14:43

odarwin wrote:is there a rule on what type of whisk (80 or 100 prong) to use for which type of matcha (koicha or usucha)?

and as a beginner, what type (80 or 100 prong) would you guys recommend me to use? considering that i would like to be able to try both koicha and usucha with the use of only 1 whisk at the moment, and why?

thanks!
If you have a good matcha, using a 80 prong or a 100 prong chasen will give you similar results. The 100 prong whisk will be somewhat more fragile, especially if the surface of your chawan is rough.
As you also want to drink koicha, which is more "kneaded" than "whisked", I would choose the 80 prong chasen.

I use a 48 prong chasen for koicha and a 80 prong one for usacha

Mar 15th, '11, 23:48

by odarwin » Mar 15th, '11, 23:48

olivierco wrote:
odarwin wrote:is there a rule on what type of whisk (80 or 100 prong) to use for which type of matcha (koicha or usucha)?

thanks!
If you have a good matcha, using a 80 prong or a 100 prong chasen will give you similar results. The 100 prong whisk will be somewhat more fragile, especially if the surface of your chawan is rough.
As you also want to drink koicha, which is more "kneaded" than "whisked", I would choose the 80 prong chasen.

I use a 48 prong chasen for koicha and a 80 prong one for usacha
thanks for the info!

im considering this...
http://www.yuuki-cha.com/matcha-accesso ... ama-chasen

is this an 80-prong chasen? ...its not indicated in the description thou?

Mar 16th, '11, 07:46

by olivierco » Mar 16th, '11, 07:46

odarwin wrote: im considering this...
http://www.yuuki-cha.com/matcha-accesso ... ama-chasen

is this an 80-prong chasen? ...its not indicated in the description thou?
Difficult to tell from the picture. I would say yes but you should ask the seller.

Mar 16th, '11, 15:11

by Ti » Mar 16th, '11, 15:11

A local grocery store has started carrying ITO EN matcha. I got a can and made it in a cup whisking with a fork. I don't have a chasen. I only had matcha once before and the ITO EN matcha is way better tasting. Is there another way if you don't have a chasen? And, what is it that the chasen does for match other than make foam? Does the froth from the chasen add to the texture of the tea drink? Disperse the powder resulting in more flavor or what? I've seen the videos and I know I'm doing it wrong but for now that's the way it is.

Mar 16th, '11, 15:15

by entropyembrace » Mar 16th, '11, 15:15

You´ll get a better texture with the chasen and more even mixing.

I used an egg whisk for some time, it worked, but the chasen is a huge improvement :)

Mar 16th, '11, 15:25
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 16th, '11, 15:25

Chasen changes everything!

I used an egg whisk as did many others, you can't get a chasen at the "super" ... it did an OK job actually. But once you get a chasen, the thought of going back to a kitchen whisk actually turns my stomach. :roll:

Mar 16th, '11, 15:32

by Ti » Mar 16th, '11, 15:32

entropyembrace wrote:You´ll get a better texture with the chasen and more even mixing.

I used an egg whisk for some time, it worked, but the chasen is a huge improvement :)
Thank you. I have an egg whisk! For now I will try that until I get a chasen.

Mar 16th, '11, 16:25

by iannon » Mar 16th, '11, 16:25

Ti wrote:
entropyembrace wrote:You´ll get a better texture with the chasen and more even mixing.

Thank you. I have an egg whisk! For now I will try that until I get a chasen.
Much betetr than a fork at least :) i sued an egg whisk too for a while. Some people also use the mini cappucino frothers

Mar 21st, '11, 23:12

by odarwin » Mar 21st, '11, 23:12

hi guys,

do you really need a whisk stand?
what does it really do? and do you really get to use it every time you make matcha?

http://www.yuuki-cha.com/matcha-accesso ... isk-keeper

thanks!

+ Post Reply