Sencha 7132

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 27th, '11, 17:08

Sencha 7132

by tjsan » Feb 27th, '11, 17:08

Recently caught my attention with a new Sencha called 7132 from O-cha. I was wondering if it is related to the plant variety named Shizu 7132 which is known for its "fine Resemblance in aroma to the leaf of the Japanese cherry tree. "; while o-cha says that 7132 is made of a yabukita breed.. So how is it really?
Other sellers offer this variety as Shizu 7132: Sakura sencha or Matcha sakuraka
http://www.yuuki-cha.com/organic-matcha-sakuraka
http://www.umami-chaya.com/shizu-7132-s ... p-205.html

Feb 27th, '11, 17:50
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Sencha 7132

by Chip » Feb 27th, '11, 17:50

http://greenteaforum.o-cha.com/viewtopi ... =16&t=1345
http://www.o-cha.com/Organic-Asamushi-Sencha-7132.html

There is also a good deal of discussion on TC about this.

OK, I will have to research this more. It was my understanding that this is a varietal name, possibly of Yabukita lineage.

It is quite good, most of us pick up a dried cherry/fruity cinnamon thing going on. I also find notes of bread and thus refer to it as Cinnamon raisin/cherry bread, warmed!

Really different.

But it is also my understanding that it is pure tea, nothing added to impart this flavor/aroma.

Feb 27th, '11, 18:17

by alan logan » Feb 27th, '11, 18:17

To my knowledge, Shizu 7132 is a progeny of yabukita (I don't know of which subcategory of yabukita(s) though), it contains a higher proportion of coumarin (like koshun), but its specific flavor can also be due to other components. I often came across the statement that it was enriched in coumarin, my guess is that this was obtained by selections.

so technically it would probably not be wrong to say that the varietal is yabukita.

Feb 27th, '11, 18:31

by Chip » Feb 27th, '11, 18:31

... might take a while to weed out the myth from reality as the information trickles down.

Feb 27th, '11, 18:44

by alan logan » Feb 27th, '11, 18:44

what do you mean ?

there is no particular myth about shizu 7132.

Feb 27th, '11, 19:01

by Chip » Feb 27th, '11, 19:01

I am reading some places it is a cultivar or varietal, you are saying it is Yabukita. The O-Cha site says Yabukita. There currently lacks some clarity.

I say myth because this is historically how information trickles through to the West fron China and Japan. Fortunately this is changing. I am not saying that this is a long established myth.

You are stating some info for which perhaps a link would be helpful. Thanks.

Feb 27th, '11, 19:15

by alan logan » Feb 27th, '11, 19:15

I did not say that shizu 7132 is yabukita, I said it is a progeny of yabukita.

now if O-cha wants to call it yabukita, imho (and what I said) it would not be "wrong", maybe not accurate enough, but as there is one (seed / pollen) parent it does not seem an awful contradiction to me.

About shizu 7132, anyone can check very easily in scientific publications by googling w "shizu 7132" and "shizu 7132 yabukita". You can even download some publications in pdf.
In fact it is so easy that I did not feel putting links or make quotes was terribly necessary, but if you manage not to find anything I will be happy to help.

Feb 27th, '11, 19:48

by Chip » Feb 27th, '11, 19:48

You are right, you did say progeny. I somehow missed that. My apologies.

OMG, I was not being smart asking for a link or in any of my posts here. We are simply trying to have a discussion regarding 7132.

I simply asked for a link to the info you provided ... thanks.

Feb 27th, '11, 20:38

by alan logan » Feb 27th, '11, 20:38

Chip wrote:You are right, you did say progeny. I somehow missed that. My apologies.

OMG, I was not being smart asking for a link or in any of my posts here. We are simply trying to have a discussion regarding 7132.

I simply asked for a link to the info you provided ...

With "shizu 7132 yabukita" eg as keywords you can access very directly to publications downloadable directly in pdf and info, from first page of results, and most relevant results are on the first page.*

* http://www.google.fr/search?q=Shizu+713 ... rt=10&sa=N

Feb 27th, '11, 21:27

by alan logan » Feb 27th, '11, 21:27

Chip, you edited my previous post, in the part where I quoted your original post.

You did so w/o saying you were doing it.

Any explanation for that ? Do you often edit in members' posts like that, w/o even stating you do ?

Feb 27th, '11, 21:53

by AdamMY » Feb 27th, '11, 21:53

alan logan wrote:
Chip wrote:You are right, you did say progeny. I somehow missed that. My apologies.

I simply asked for a link to the info you provided ...

With "shizu 7132 yabukita" eg as keywords you can access very directly to publications downloadable directly in pdf and info, from first page of results, and most relevant results are on the first page.*

* http://www.google.fr/search?q=Shizu+713 ... rt=10&sa=N

Its just a personal pet peeve of mine when people share information and when people inquire about it they respond with "google it." For a few key reasons.

1. Google people with different browsing histories can google the same term and end up with different results pages, because google personally tailors the results to them.

2. Due to that, when someone mentions something and I inquire further on a particular thing they mentioned, it is because I want to know the exact sense in which they were using the term, instead of googling to figure weed through several results to try and pick the option that seems best suited for what they were talking about.

In this case, I did the google search, and I saw little information that I could readily access, a few PDF's that would not load, or links to journal articles that needed to be purchased to read more than just the abstract. Although I really do not know why you two seem so at odds with each other, when you two were, agreeing with each other the whole time for the most part.

Feb 27th, '11, 22:13

by Chip » Feb 27th, '11, 22:13

alan logan wrote:Chip, you edited my previous post, in the part where I quoted your original post.

You did so w/o saying you were doing it.

Any explanation for that ? Do you often edit in members' posts like that, w/o even stating you do ?
You are correct, I edited my own words. Very simple, you chose not to honor my edit even though it was 45 minutes before your post. I do feel you have repeatedly attempted to engage me, I chose not to take your bait and edited my post more according to my true manners.

Had you simply honored my request for more info or links ... instead you said just google it. Adam pretty much summed up my sentiments.

For the record, here is what I edited out in response to your comment to just google. What I took out is in brackets.

I simply asked for a link to the info you provided [, this is a common request. If you do not want to provide one for all the readers of this topic, that is fine. Then each reader can easily google search instead of you providing a link for everyone.]
I would edit a quote for any member who would request it under similar circumstances.

I will not permit this topic to turn into a flame war and will very quickly edit any other posts I feel I need to.

Feb 27th, '11, 22:43

by alan logan » Feb 27th, '11, 22:43

@AdamMY

It does not matter what your browsing history is : google will always give you the relevant results w such specific keywords as "shizu 7132 yabukita". The results will not change w your search history, only the pagerank would, because a search history does not exclude results that are consistent with a keyword, but may put them in a different order.

My answer is not "just go to google". My answer is "if you want to check what I say, it is the easiest thing in the world, and you will find I stated a very simple fact and not a myth". Which everyone has understood perfectly.

Feb 27th, '11, 22:53

by Chip » Feb 27th, '11, 22:53

Thanks for your responses. 8)

7132 is a beautiful sencha varietal regardless of the less than beautiful tone of this topic. If you tasted and smelled it not knowing what it was, you would indeed proclaim, "SAKURA!"

According to O-Cha, it is better now than when it was a new tea as it has aged.

Tjsan, it is remarkable and definitely give it a try! :mrgreen:

I have to wonder what the future of sencha has in store for us!!!!! :idea:

Feb 27th, '11, 23:02

by alan logan » Feb 27th, '11, 23:02

@tjsan:

if you like shizu7132 you may also be interested in koshun and tsuyuhikari if you encounter them, they share the same component (coumarin) in much higher proportion than in other varietals and they have some of the sakura flavor.
I would even prefer koshun, I find it more complex and subtle, but that's just me.

(of course the flavors will also depend on how the teas are processed, you may encounter a tsuyuhikari that is more on a sweet side, for instance).

Edited by Moderator, please see your PM.

+ Post Reply