Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Will you temporary stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Yes (wait till next year harvest just to be safe than sorry)
19%
No (buy like usual)
76%
No (buy lesser)
5%

Total votes: 103

Mar 28th, '11, 10:57

Re: Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

by lkj23 » Mar 28th, '11, 10:57

I have read in a lot of threads that you like a lot their teas.

I´m going to wait but I would like buy some gyokuro, sencha, matcha and sincha

what sellers, besides O-cha, do you trust right now Chip?

Mar 28th, '11, 11:17

by AdamMY » Mar 28th, '11, 11:17

lkj23 wrote:I have read in a lot of threads that you like a lot their teas.

I can not speak for Chip, but Ippodo is also located out of Uji, and most of their teas are sourced from the Uji area (possibly read as all?). Honestly my two go to Japanese Vendors are Ippodo and O-cha, and I can not think of where some of the others are currently located.

Mar 28th, '11, 11:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Mar 28th, '11, 11:55

lkj23 wrote:I have read in a lot of threads that you like a lot their teas.

tea from kyushu, (zencha.net carries many - as well as other vendors listed on TC) is safe as well.

Mar 28th, '11, 12:34

by lkj23 » Mar 28th, '11, 12:34

I don´t know but Ipoodo seems expensive... is in the same location as Maiko. Zencha has good prices and a blue Yamane Seigan´s tea cup that I would like to buy.

Yuuki-Cha is Chiba, I would like to buy them teaware for matcha but I don´t trust just now.

Mar 28th, '11, 12:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 28th, '11, 12:44

lkj23 wrote:I don´t know but Ipoodo seems expensive... is in the same location as Maiko. Zencha has good prices and a blue Yamane Seigan´s tea cup that I would like to buy.

Yuuki-Cha is Chiba, I would like to buy them teaware for matcha but I don´t trust just now.
Chiba I think is on the restricted food import list for EU.

My personal fave 5 vendors who are located in Japan, submitted for your approval ... I have to double check a few of them.

O-Cha
Zencha
Maiko
Ippodo

Well, I will leave it at fave 4 for now.

Mar 28th, '11, 13:47

by lkj23 » Mar 28th, '11, 13:47

Chip wrote:Chiba I think is on the restricted food import list for EU.

My personal fave 5 vendors who are located in Japan, submitted for your approval ... I have to double check a few of them.

O-Cha
Zencha
Maiko
Ippodo

Well, I will leave it at fave 4 for now.
It is reasonable for Chiba, is very near of Fukushima. If I decide buy something I´ll buy from any of them, When you check what you want please post it here.

As I said before I´m going to wait, there is a good sale on Maiko´s shop but I prefer to wait

Mar 28th, '11, 18:48

by lkj23 » Mar 28th, '11, 18:48

they have found plutonium which has a half-life of 24.000 years. This element was created artifically, not natural.

Mar 28th, '11, 23:37

by JBaymore » Mar 28th, '11, 23:37

lkj23 wrote:they have found plutonium which has a half-life of 24.000 years. This element was created artifically, not natural.
Two air burst nuclear bombs were detonated over Japan a heatbeat ago by plutonium half-life standards. I'd imagine that if the tests were done before the tsunami and earthquake... they'd have found at least some plutonium many places in Japan.

The real question is how much plutonium...... and establishing the actual source.

best,

................john

Mar 29th, '11, 00:42

by Tead Off » Mar 29th, '11, 00:42

Kevangogh wrote:I wouldn't say there are "no" restrictions. Austria, Italy, and Thailand have been taken off of our list of countries we can sell to for the time being. A few countries here and there are making is too much of a pain to sell to, so we won't bother. Those two countries are insisting that any food item from Japan, no matter where it comes from, have a certificate from some Japanese authority (who?), etc, etc. Not going to deal with that. I think Thailand is outright banning Japanese food for the time being.

It's going to take some time for all of this to settle down...
There was an article in the Thai news this morning about the banning of products from Japan after they found higher than normal radiation levels in Japanese sweet potatos imported recently. Unfortunately, this is a safety precaution that many governments will put into place to try and appease the general public. You can't blame them for being concerned as the current situation is yet unresolved. I sympathize with your situation both personal and business-wise and hope that things change as quickly as possible.

Mar 29th, '11, 01:41

by brlarson » Mar 29th, '11, 01:41

Chip wrote:I am about to buy some sencha from 1-2 online vendors.
I am going to buy from O-Cha who has had a rough road and needs support! ...
It is time to show support ... IMHO.
I agree. I just placed a small order with O-Cha for YM Kaoru Supreme LE, SAE Midori and some matcha.. I'll pick up a few things from Zencha tomorrow and from Ippodo in a few weeks.

If buying a little tea will do some good then count me in.

Mar 29th, '11, 05:07
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Mar 29th, '11, 05:07

Tead Off wrote: There was an article in the Thai news this morning about the banning of products from Japan after they found higher than normal radiation levels in Japanese sweet potatos imported recently. Unfortunately, this is a safety precaution that many governments will put into place to try and appease the general public. You can't blame them for being concerned as the current situation is yet unresolved. I sympathize with your situation both personal and business-wise and hope that things change as quickly as possible.
I got a pretty big order from Thailand today, had to refund it and refuse the order. Not blaming anyone (except for TEPCO and the Japanese government), but sucks that I had to refuse that.

Mar 29th, '11, 05:23
Vendor Member

by IPT » Mar 29th, '11, 05:23

Ouch! That sucks!

Mar 29th, '11, 06:31

by lkj23 » Mar 29th, '11, 06:31

JBaymore wrote:
lkj23 wrote:they have found plutonium which has a half-life of 24.000 years. This element was created artifically, not natural.
Two air burst nuclear bombs were detonated over Japan a heatbeat ago by plutonium half-life standards. I'd imagine that if the tests were done before the tsunami and earthquake... they'd have found at least some plutonium many places in Japan.

The real question is how much plutonium...... and establishing the actual source.

best,

................john
test were done 6 days ago in fukushima, so the source is clear
Last edited by lkj23 on Mar 29th, '11, 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 29th, '11, 07:30

by Chesslover » Mar 29th, '11, 07:30

Kevangogh wrote:I got a pretty big order from Thailand today, had to refund it and refuse the order. Not blaming anyone (except for TEPCO and the Japanese government), but sucks that I had to refuse that.
Kevin, so what's the situation with EU shipping. Do you (O-cha) ship to EU countries? If not, will you? What about statements regarding the year of harvest (EU seems to demand that kind of statement)?

Mar 29th, '11, 09:06
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Mar 29th, '11, 09:06

I'm sending tea to EU countries except for Italy and Austria. From what I understand, as long as I'm not in the 12 prefectures mentioned earlier and my teas are not from there, then it's okay. I'm having a hard time nailing down if Italy is an outright ban on Japanese food but it appears that way. Austria wants it tested first, which I'm not going to do. Thailand is currently banning, so wont' send there either. USA, Canada, Austrailia, etc, etc, are allowing it if it's not from the four surrounding prefectures.