Will you temporarily stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Will you temporary stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

Yes (wait till next year harvest just to be safe than sorry)
19%
No (buy like usual)
76%
No (buy lesser)
5%

Total votes: 103

Mar 18th, '11, 07:41

Re: Will you temporary stop purchasing Japanese Greens?

by Chasm » Mar 18th, '11, 07:41

Oni wrote:I am concerned about o-cha`s shincha.
Tea isn't grown anywhere near the plant that has been having trouble. Location of the storefront can't affect the shincha growth hundreds of miles off.

Mar 18th, '11, 07:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Mar 18th, '11, 07:49

The way it is now, I believe the radiation is only dangerous within the compound of the power plant itself.
Why would it affect tea production that is going on somewhere else entirely?
It would be sad if misconceptions like this lead to Japan's economy struggling more than it has to in the time of rebuilding.

When I heard about people buying iodine pills in Germany or the US I could only shake my head. :roll:
I don't know, I may be wrong here, but somehow I feel this is disrespectful to those thousands of people who have lost their homes, relatives, loved ones in a devastating earthquake and tsunami.

Obviously I would not intentionally consume contaminated food but from what I understand, there is absolutely no concern that Japanese tea is or will be affected in this way.

The best news I take away from this thread is that you are fine, Kevin. I wish all the best to you.

Mar 18th, '11, 07:54

by Stentor » Mar 18th, '11, 07:54

Chasm wrote:
Oni wrote:I am concerned about o-cha`s shincha.
Tea isn't grown anywhere near the plant that has been having trouble. Location of the storefront can't affect the shincha growth hundreds of miles off.
This. Thank you, Chasm.
It is unfortunate that having the word "Fukushima" in your company's address will be bad for business in the future.

Mar 18th, '11, 08:00

by Chasm » Mar 18th, '11, 08:00

As a TeaChat noob, it was only on this thread that I realized *that* Kevin posts here (*internal fangirly squeal*).

Mar 18th, '11, 10:25

by Jayaratna » Mar 18th, '11, 10:25

Jayaratna wrote:Dear all,

I replied yes because imports fromJapan have been stopped here. I'm drinking my last drops of sencha. I was planning to get some shincha and more sencha in April, but there's no possibility to get anything here for now.

A
This is the situation in Europe. Some countries will make tests on food imports from Japan, others have temporarily blocked all imports.

The situation looks really serious anyway:

http://english.cri.cn/6966/2011/03/17/2724s626744.htm

A

Mar 18th, '11, 11:06

by JRS22 » Mar 18th, '11, 11:06

I plan to purchase tea as usual. I'm also planning on buying more canisters. My chinese teas seem perfectly happy in japanese canisters.

Mar 18th, '11, 12:00

by Robert Fornell » Mar 18th, '11, 12:00

Chip wrote:I will continue to purchase Japanese teas! I will frame the fancy Japanese pouches for remembrance of the earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear "disaster." Remembrance of the lives lost, the suffering, the magnitude of the disaster, and of the Japanese perseverance even in disaster.

Why penalize them for these disasters. Obviously I will be watching the path of the radiation, and I may move more purchases to southern growing regions.

And their recovery depends on continued support.
+1,000,000

Mar 18th, '11, 12:43
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 18th, '11, 12:43

JRS22 wrote:I plan to purchase tea as usual. I'm also planning on buying more canisters. My chinese teas seem perfectly happy in japanese canisters.
I am planning on buying canisters too! I don't drink much Japanese tea, and buy most Japanese tea ware second-hand. But these days I really want to buy more stuff from Japan. Canisters and a few small kyusus are always what I want, and I feel I should buy more if some other people are withdrawing their purchases.

Mar 18th, '11, 12:55

by Chip » Mar 18th, '11, 12:55

Jayaratna wrote:

I replied yes because imports fromJapan have been stopped here. I'm drinking my last drops of sencha. I was planning to get some shincha and more sencha in April, but there's no possibility to get anything here for now.

A
This is the situation in Europe. Some countries will make tests on food imports from Japan, others have temporarily blocked all imports.

A
Knee jerk reactions suck.

Oh well, we will just have to pull up the slack and buy more tea! :idea:

Mar 18th, '11, 14:28

by Jayaratna » Mar 18th, '11, 14:28

Chip wrote:
Jayaratna wrote:

A

A
Knee jerk reactions suck.

Oh well, we will just have to pull up the slack and buy more tea! :idea:
And I will probably have to buy my Japanese teas too in Germany. ;)

Mar 18th, '11, 15:46

by olivierco » Mar 18th, '11, 15:46

auhckw wrote:With the news going on about radiation in Japan, how does it affect your buying decision?

Will you temporary stop purchasing Japanese Greens for this year?
No. I have just ordered two bags of sencha (and I will order some more when Kevin will be able to reopen his store).
As for today, drinking Chinese teas is far more dangerous than drinking Japanese teas.

Mar 18th, '11, 15:49

by entropyembrace » Mar 18th, '11, 15:49

Thank you for the update Kevin, I hope you can get everything back to normal soon :)
Kevangogh wrote:Why would you be concerned with that? We get the teas from the same areas other vendors do, and they are hermetically sealed. I wouldn't sell radioactive tea. If there is any possibility of the tea becoming radioactive, I certainly wouldn't be exposing my body to it.

We left Fukushima temporarily because it seemed the prudent thing to do. That said, I know plenty of people who are still there and so far, they are safe. Just waiting it out a bit to see how it goes down.

I'm sure there will be those who use unfortunate event as a selling point, guaranteed that will happen. Likewise, I can see where customers might be concerned about this, even though in reality I don't think there is a reason to be. But that is the reality. So for those reasons, I am seriously considering taking up the gracious invitation I have received to make a move to Uji. Not sure, but thinking about it.
Oni wrote:I am sure that they will analyze their tea for radiation, and Uji is far away from the reactor, I will surely buy shincha from maiko this year, I am concerned about o-cha`s shincha.

Mar 18th, '11, 15:50

by olivierco » Mar 18th, '11, 15:50

Oni wrote:I will surely buy shincha from maiko this year, I am concerned about o-cha`s shincha.
Why are you concerned more about o-cha's shincha than about maiko's?

Mar 18th, '11, 16:19

by Chip » Mar 18th, '11, 16:19

olivierco wrote:
Oni wrote:I will surely buy shincha from maiko this year, I am concerned about o-cha`s shincha.
Why are you concerned more about o-cha's shincha than about maiko's?
Likewise wondering. If anything, I will order more from O-Cha this year since they are the most affected tea vendor that I am familiar with and using. But all the tea is produced much further south and west pretty much regardless of the vendor ...

Mar 18th, '11, 18:00

by puerhking » Mar 18th, '11, 18:00

Seems like areas within Shizuoka like Honyama and Asahina are in the worst position for possible contamination. Right?