Matcha advice needed.

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 28th, '11, 02:33

Re: Matcha advice needed.

by Chajin » Sep 28th, '11, 02:33

David R. wrote:So, I was wondering... Maybe it is a silly question but still...

Different temperatures with sencha brings out different flavors. What about matcha :?:
In theory, the temperature of the water used to make the tea is always about the same, but there's a bit more to it than that. Matcha was traditionally picked in May, blended, and packed as unground leaf in large jars with packages of koicha blends surrounded by usucha leaves. Tea people received these jars from the producers and opened them in November (the beginning of the cool season in tea ceremony), and ground their own tea. This tea was supposed to last for the following year, so in warm weather the tea is considered old and should be made with cooler water and consumed at a lower temperature. A scoop of cold water is added to the kettle immediately before drawing water when making koicha; this cools the water slightly, and wide, shallow bowls allow the tea to cool rapidly before the guest drinks it.

In cool weather, in contrast, the tea is considered fresh, so it should be made with hotter water: the lid of the kettle is kept closed as much as possible to ensure the water is really hot, and deep, narrow bowls keep it that way while the guests drink it.

Sep 30th, '11, 17:56

by Mintaka » Sep 30th, '11, 17:56

I store my match whisk on a ceramic stand made for it. It helps hold the shape, though the whisk will need to be replaced if you use it every day. A whisk used daily will last about a month or two in my experience. But then, I live in a really arid climate so that probably affects the bamboo.
Last edited by Mintaka on Sep 30th, '11, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 1st, '11, 11:45

by Chajin » Oct 1st, '11, 11:45

Mintaka wrote:A whisk used daily will last about a month or two in my experience. But then, I live in a really arid climate so that probably affects the bamboo.
I don't know whether the climate where you live is a factor, but a chasen should last for a lot more than ~30 uses. Are you finding that the tips of the tines are breaking? Some breakage is normal, but soaking the whisk in cool water for a few minutes and then softening it in hot water before using it should help. Also, try to avoid scraping the bottom of the bowl when you're whisking.

+ Post Reply