2011 Official Shincha Review Topic!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 15th, '11, 13:06
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: 2011 Official Shincha Review Topic!

by Chip » May 15th, '11, 13:06

Thanks for filling in the blanks. It is now as clear as YM second steep. :mrgreen:

May 16th, '11, 11:46

by Drax » May 16th, '11, 11:46

Speaking of YM, I broke into o-Cha's Yutaka Midori shincha this morning to give it a test-run (going to share a cup w/ a co-worker this afternoon, and wanted to make sure I would brew it properly).

WOW! So delicious... I think the second cup may have been near perfect in its balance of vegetal power, rounded bitterness, and the lingering aftertaste.

So happy....

The tea went an easy 4 steeps, too...

May 16th, '11, 16:06

by shinobicha » May 16th, '11, 16:06

So I figured out great brewing parameters for Den's Shincha Kunpu -
4oz 4+g leaf (I think it was probably closer to 5, but I'm sure 4g would have worked as well)
140F 1min 45 seconds (everything preheated)

Not only did it come out very fresh and a nice balance of bitter, sweet, grassy, etc., but it smelled and tasted deliciously of baked bread or cake or something. I couldn't figure out exactly what the flavor was, but it was awesome and pretty unique in my experience!

May 23rd, '11, 09:35

by Jack_teachat » May 23rd, '11, 09:35

I'm drinking O-Cha Yutaka Midori as I type and I've got to say Kevin has it spot on this year!

Was surprised at the amount of needles in it given it's meant to be a Fuka, almost looked like a blend of asa and fuka! Steeping it around 70 degrees C, 4.5g of leaf to 160ml water, 30 secs first steep followed by two instant pours. Wonderful big grassy notes on the 2nd and 3rd and it should have a few more to come hopefully!

I also ordered the Kirameki which I've not had for a couple of years, again very impressed. One of the most beautiful Japanese greens I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in person, deep emerald green, lots of needles. To drink it's just wonderful, creamy, buttery, hint of citrus - plus a lovely feeling that you're drinking a very special tea indeed!

Jack :D

May 23rd, '11, 10:15
Vendor Member

by Xell » May 23rd, '11, 10:15

I finished many cups of both ureshino shincha and yame "88 nights" shincha, now started to like yame more. With yame i went down from ~160-180ml per ~4g to about 100ml for same ~4g. Using 1min for first infusion at ~70C. Now it really hits the spot, happy :D

May 24th, '11, 10:21

by brlarson » May 24th, '11, 10:21

The first shincha I have opened is Kaburagien's ``88 nights''. It has a lovely dry aroma. After two sessions I haven't yet hit the sweet spot:
(1) 5 gr in 5oz at 175F for 60 secs
(2) 3 gr in 3 oz at 160F for 45 secs

(1) was oversteeped, so next brew will be at lower temp for shorter time.
(2) time was correct but temp was too low. Too soft, not enough acidity.

Next attempt will be same ratio at 175F for 45 seconds.

May 27th, '11, 07:37

by Stentor » May 27th, '11, 07:37

I've been experimenting with O-Cha's Yutaka Midori shincha.
I just brewed 5 g in 4 oz of water at 80° C for 45 seconds.
And WOW! SO GOOD!
The flavor is so full, sweet, yet balanced (and not overpowering!), with a long aftertaste. The liquor almost feels viscous on the tongue.

I urge you to give these brewing parameters a try if you haven't yet, especially if you (like me) usually brew lighter and cooler.
It's worth it!

May 29th, '11, 10:18

by sebpassion » May 29th, '11, 10:18

i received my shincha from yuuki yesterday and so far i tried the sae midori and the magokoro.

the sae midori tastes very vegetal,but also sweet. it reminds me of broccoli. the infusion is lovely green :mrgreen:

the magokoro is very sweet and rich, but not as vegetal as the sae midori.
its a delicious deep steamed version of the yutaka midori breed and this type of tea is what i pick for my daily green-tea-dose :D

May 29th, '11, 10:35

by tortoise » May 29th, '11, 10:35

Stentor wrote:I've been experimenting with O-Cha's Yutaka Midori shincha.
And WOW! SO GOOD!
The flavor is so full, sweet, yet balanced (and not overpowering!), with a long aftertaste. The liquor almost feels viscous on the tongue.

I urge you to give these brewing parameters a try if you haven't yet, especially if you (like me) usually brew lighter and cooler.
It's worth it!
Will do.

May 29th, '11, 11:25

by Chip » May 29th, '11, 11:25

tortoise wrote:
And WOW! SO GOOD!

It's worth it!
Will do.
+1. Will give it a try hopefully today with YM LE.

Is that water temp in a preheated pot, or not preheated??? If I do not preheat, I will use the 176* F (80* C).

May 29th, '11, 11:59

by Stentor » May 29th, '11, 11:59

Chip wrote: +1. Will give it a try hopefully today with YM LE.

Is that water temp in a preheated pot, or not preheated??? If I do not preheat, I will use the 176* F (80* C).
Preheated. Maybe you have to be careful not to be slightly over 80° C though. I think it may be the maximum it can take, though I have yet to try something like 85 just to see what happens.

I just did 5.4 g, 4 oz water, and somewhere between 81 and 80° C in a preheated pot and it turned out too strong for me. Maybe it was 5 seconds longer as well. So I think I'm gonna scale back a little for next time.

I absoluteley nailed it that one time I posted about. It was quite the revelation. Have to try again.

Anyway, I appreciate that you guys are giving it a try. Let me know how it turned out!

Jun 1st, '11, 13:02

by Drax » Jun 1st, '11, 13:02

And WOW! SO GOOD!

It's worth it!
I tried replicating this recommendation yesterday, and it was pretty good. I'm curious -- what timing did you use on the remainder steeps? I went with 2nd steep at 15 seconds and 3rd steep at 45 seconds. All three cups were quite nice.

The amount is a little more than I normally brew (4 'sakura scoop' scoops, instead of my usual 3 scoops, and I normally do my 2nd steep ~30 seconds, which normally yields a knockout cup of tea. I figured with more leaf, I should probably greatly reduce the 2nd steep for fear of blacking out... :mrgreen:

Jun 1st, '11, 13:24

by Stentor » Jun 1st, '11, 13:24

Drax wrote: I'm curious -- what timing did you use on the remainder steeps? I went with 2nd steep at 15 seconds and 3rd steep at 45 seconds. All three cups were quite nice.
Practically no steeping time, just the amount of time it takes to pour the water into the pot, put the lid on the pot, lift the pot. I'm not rushing this, so I'm guessing 10 seconds or so. 3rd steep I'm taking it a little slower but 20 seconds max. 4th in the 30-45 seconds range. I've noticed that you can't go too high with the temperature for the later steeps with this one so I'm not increasing temp much.
With longer times and this much leaf I oversteeped a 2nd or 3rd steep the other day. Wasn't good... :evil:

Jun 3rd, '11, 14:08

by brlarson » Jun 3rd, '11, 14:08

I've finally gotten it right for Kaburagien's ``88 nights'':
* 5 gr in 5oz at 160F for 60 secs

I am brewing in a preheated kyusu with the lid off. Brewing with the lid off was the final key :idea: .

Jun 4th, '11, 05:40

by sebpassion » Jun 4th, '11, 05:40

has anyone tried one of hibiki-an's shinchas?

i placed an order for the fukamushi shincha..

+ Post Reply