Matcha recommendations (tried two so far.....)

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 23rd, '11, 20:03

Matcha recommendations (tried two so far.....)

by lunestis » May 23rd, '11, 20:03

Hi everyone,

I just found this site a few days ago while researching for matcha sets and I think this site is wonderful for tea info! :) Lots of knowledgeable people here hehe

So I just bought this set :
https://www.itoen.com/gift-sets/teas-te ... a-328.html

and I tried the matcha you see in the picture. I don't really like it, It says to add two scoops per 4 oz (which I did) and the matcha didn't really froth up and tasted very mild with a very watered down flavor.

I also tried a "unknown" brand I bought from a Japanese supermarket. I bought it with the sole intent of using if for baking since it cost me $3.99 lol
Here's a pic of the bag :

This matcha is a bit better than the itoen matcha (not as mild, i like bold full bodied teas... for example, my fav. green tea is genmaicha) but still did not froth and it's still not what I'm looking for. I know not to expect much from this tea since I know "real" matcha is alot more $ than this one.

So In conclusion, I'm on the fence about these and still searching for the perfect matcha. I had had two cups of matcha in Japan two years ago and I still remember the taste. ( It was dark in color, bold in flavor and had a lot of froth) I had them both in Kyoto so not sure if that might affect the type of taste I'm looking for.

I was also thinking of making a purchase from "yuuki-cha", since they seem to have cheaper matcha... I dont have too much money to spend on matcha but I want to actually buy something that I will enjoy. If anyone can recommend something, even from a different vendor I'd appreciate it!! :D Thanks alot!!

ps- I love the taste of matcha in most Japanese made products, green tea cake, mochi, ice cream etc... (not sure if this will help with figuring out my taste hehe)

May 23rd, '11, 20:10

Re: Matcha recommendations (tried two so far.....)

by entropyembrace » May 23rd, '11, 20:10

My favourite matchas have been the Kiri No Mori and Kiku Mukashi from O-cha both are flavourful and make nice foamy usucha :)

Other vendors that are worth trying are Maiko and Ippodo....

I´d stay away from Yuuki-cha they have a mixed reputation for both quality and service at best.

May 24th, '11, 17:28

by mlafranc » May 24th, '11, 17:28

+1 on Kiku Mukashi from O-Cha. It froths up great, despite my limited skills/experience, and I love the rich, full flavor.

Jul 19th, '11, 11:31

by sherubtse » Jul 19th, '11, 11:31

entropyembrace wrote:My favourite matchas have been the Kiri No Mori and Kiku Mukashi from O-cha both are flavourful and make nice foamy usucha :)

Other vendors that are worth trying are Maiko and Ippodo....

I´d stay away from Yuuki-cha they have a mixed reputation for both quality and service at best.
Interesting comments, as I have some Kiri No Mori on the way from O-Cha. :)

Have you tried the matchas from Hibiki-an? if so, what are your impressions (of the tea & company)? :?:

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Jul 19th, '11, 16:03

by lkj23 » Jul 19th, '11, 16:03

It´s strange, but this bag is the same that yame matcha sansui from zencha, a very good matcha, suitable for koicha. For me the best matcha I have tried, but it´s strange the price you got it, I don´t know if it´s the same, but the bag is the same.

Jul 30th, '11, 20:44

by joelbct » Jul 30th, '11, 20:44

This Wakamatsu from Ippodo is wonderful, and moderately priced at 1500 yen, abt $20 for a tin. That's moderately priced, for Matcha. And it is some awesome matcha, in my opinion.

Shipping costs a bit, but you can throw in some Sencha or Gyokuro to make it seem worth it....

As for Ito En, the Koto is their best one, in my opinion...

Aug 2nd, '11, 02:30

by Oni » Aug 2nd, '11, 02:30

Try first some entry level usucha from the reputable online vendors, those will be your first real matcha, those at a japanese supermarket are cooking grade sencha, that is used for sweets, real shade grown matcha can be bought from Japan from the vendors listed here at teachat, many of us tried them, I tried most of them, and do not settle for anything less if you are serious about your tea.

Aug 3rd, '11, 04:55

by Nishiki » Aug 3rd, '11, 04:55

lkj23 wrote:It´s strange, but this bag is the same that yame matcha sansui from zencha, a very good matcha, suitable for koicha. For me the best matcha I have tried, but it´s strange the price you got it, I don´t know if it´s the same, but the bag is the same.
Hello everyone. My name is Nishiki from Zencha.net. I've been a fan of this wonderful forum for a couple of years but it is the first time to comment.
I just want to explain why the package could be the same.
The package we use for this matcha is a ready-made thing, not an original package, so it is possible that other tea companies use same package. We decided to use this ready-made package in order to reduce the price as the competition in the tea market has been increased.

Thank you.

Aug 3rd, '11, 07:18

by lkj23 » Aug 3rd, '11, 07:18

Nishiki wrote:
lkj23 wrote:It´s strange, but this bag is the same that yame matcha sansui from zencha, a very good matcha, suitable for koicha. For me the best matcha I have tried, but it´s strange the price you got it, I don´t know if it´s the same, but the bag is the same.
Hello everyone. My name is Nishiki from Zencha.net. I've been a fan of this wonderful forum for a couple of years but it is the first time to comment.
I just want to explain why the package could be the same.
The package we use for this matcha is a ready-made thing, not an original package, so it is possible that other tea companies use same package. We decided to use this ready-made package in order to reduce the price as the competition in the tea market has been increased.

Thank you.
Hi Nisshiki, thank you for clarifyin. I love your teas and matcha mmmm hehehe!!

Aug 3rd, '11, 12:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Aug 3rd, '11, 12:07

Thank you for the claification, Nishiki.

And welcome to TeaChat! :mrgreen:

Aug 3rd, '11, 18:08

by mlafranc » Aug 3rd, '11, 18:08

+1 on Wakamatsu from Ippodo.

I'm visiting Tokyo this week, and hope to stock up at their new shop here.

Aug 4th, '11, 10:25

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Aug 4th, '11, 10:25

I believe Ippodo also has a counter at the Takashimiya in Shinjuku.

Aug 27th, '11, 02:36

by Tead Off » Aug 27th, '11, 02:36

mlafranc wrote:+1 on Wakamatsu from Ippodo.

I'm visiting Tokyo this week, and hope to stock up at their new shop here.
For an affordable and very good matcha, Ippodo's Sayaka-no-Mukashi cannot be beat. Received a can yesterday from a Japanese friend and tried it immediately. Full, chocolatey aroma with good flavor.

Aug 27th, '11, 02:39

by Tead Off » Aug 27th, '11, 02:39

BTW, I also received the Wako from Koyamaen. This was disappointing. Very smooth but without the rich aroma and flavor of Ippodo's Sayaka.

Sep 4th, '11, 22:05

by Chajin » Sep 4th, '11, 22:05

Marukyu Koyamaen's Yugen is nice. It makes good usucha, and I've even had it as a quite acceptable koicha, plus it's very reasonably priced if you buy it from Marukyu Koyamaen.

One blend to avoid is Ujinotsuyu's Hagoromo. It comes in a black and green can with a grey lid and a lighter green label reading Hagoromo in Japanese. It seems to be widely available in overseas Asian supermarkets, and while it's fine for cooking, it's horrible to drink, quite bitter.

+ Post Reply