Shizuoka Tea Radiation Information

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 17th, '11, 22:05

Shizuoka Tea Radiation Information

by JBaymore » Jul 17th, '11, 22:05

Jul 17th, '11, 22:57
Vendor Member

Re: Shizuoka Tea Radiation Information

by Xell » Jul 17th, '11, 22:57

Nice to see lower levels in second harvest, looks like after all most of it was washed away with rains and removed with first harvest.

Jul 18th, '11, 00:18

by SlientSipper » Jul 18th, '11, 00:18

I wonder how long it will take to wash away completely?

Jul 18th, '11, 00:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 18th, '11, 00:55

Hopefully there is disaster relief aide available to the affected farmers.

Jul 18th, '11, 01:16

by Cole » Jul 18th, '11, 01:16

Very thorough and well-documented -- glad to see the prefectural govt giving us updates and showing how the levels are dropping. Their also saying the dilution ratio is 1/85, which is even lower than I was thinking.

Thanks for the info!

Jul 18th, '11, 01:21
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jul 18th, '11, 01:21

Chip wrote:Hopefully there is disaster relief aide available to the affected farmers.
Sadly, but this seems not the case. Government is busy pushing through tax raise and solve problems with each other :( And for many it will be really difficult to prove too. There are many examples, like cherry farms where people usually went to pick up cherry's directly from trees. Tests showed that it was safe to eat, but no one visiting, now it's rotting.

But one positive note since this disaster, a lot more activity regarding power savings and renewable energy sources, especially solar. People are more aware, that if they won't stop using electricity on unnecessary stuff, number of nuclear power plants will only increase.

Jul 18th, '11, 06:55

by a.serrao » Jul 18th, '11, 06:55

Xell wrote:
Chip wrote:Hopefully there is disaster relief aide available to the affected farmers.
Sadly, but this seems not the case. Government is busy pushing through tax raise and solve problems with each other :( And for many it will be really difficult to prove too. There are many examples, like cherry farms where people usually went to pick up cherry's directly from trees. Tests showed that it was safe to eat, but no one visiting, now it's rotting.

But one positive note since this disaster, a lot more activity regarding power savings and renewable energy sources, especially solar. People are more aware, that if they won't stop using electricity on unnecessary stuff, number of nuclear power plants will only increase.
From Japanese government I was expecting a proactive attitude, not a reactive one.
Being said that, I rather would have a look at this site: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/2011eq/index.html

Jul 18th, '11, 09:41

by JBaymore » Jul 18th, '11, 09:41

a.serrao wrote:Being said that, I rather would have a look at this site: http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/2011eq/index.html
Personally, because I am taking students to Japan in the fall, and because I just left there a month ago, and because I will be going back there for most of next summer, and because I want to try to be as informed as possible about this, I want to look at ALL the available information that I can find on the radiation situation there.

That is because it is a dynamic situaton (as the numbers in the posting I listed above tend to indicate), that every group/person who publishes such information has their bias, that there will be errors (and that is NOT necessarily indicative of a "cover up").

best,

.............john

Jul 18th, '11, 09:47

by JBaymore » Jul 18th, '11, 09:47

Chip,

I think that no government in any country in the world is able to deal well with disasters like this ....and I'm including the earthquake and tsunami here. The scale is just too big, the cost is just too high, and the logistical aspects of doing it fairly are about impossible.

Polititians make noises.... because they need to keep any panic down....and thay want to get re-elected. But they know they can't really DO what needs to be done. They'll never SAY it.

Likely many of those farmers will suffer. Many will lose everything before this is over.

A terrible sad reality of life, proven in natural (and man-made) disater after disaster in the world.

best,

..............john

Jul 18th, '11, 10:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 18th, '11, 10:44

Yes, I fear you are right, John ... the magnitude of the entire situation is simply too great.

Jul 18th, '11, 16:28

by a.serrao » Jul 18th, '11, 16:28

JBaymore wrote:
a.serrao wrote:That is because it is a dynamic situaton (as the numbers in the posting I listed above tend to indicate), that every group/person who publishes such information has their bias, that there will be errors (and that is NOT necessarily indicative of a "cover up").

best,

.............john
Do you trust Shizuoka Governor?

Jul 18th, '11, 17:59

by JBaymore » Jul 18th, '11, 17:59

a.serrao wrote:Do you trust Shizuoka Governor?
As much as I trust ANY single source of information. It is prudent to be open minded but cautious.

The pro-nuclear folks have their agenda... the anti-nuclear folks have their agenda...... and the truth lies somewhere in between, as it does in almost every disagreement.

best,

............john

Jul 18th, '11, 18:08

by a.serrao » Jul 18th, '11, 18:08

JBaymore wrote:
a.serrao wrote:Do you trust Shizuoka Governor?
As much as I trust ANY single source of information. It is prudent to be open minded but cautious.

The pro-nuclear folks have their agenda... the anti-nuclear folks have their agenda...... and the truth lies somewhere in between, as it does in almost every disagreement.

best,

............john
I lean toward the side of not trusting the government sources amap.

Jul 18th, '11, 23:38
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Jul 18th, '11, 23:38

The Japanese national government has been way more strict than the Shizuoka prefectural government...

Jul 19th, '11, 09:01

by brlarson » Jul 19th, '11, 09:01

So, one way we can help is to buy Shizuokan teas from this second harvest. I have a boatload of Japanese greens right now but I suppose I can fit a little more in the TeaFridge.

Thank you John for posting about this.