Radiation and Tea in Japan

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Aug 25th, '11, 17:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Radiation and Tea in Japan

by Chip » Aug 25th, '11, 17:44

OK, let's try this again, with just a few ground rules. The first topic contained some very good information, but had proven to be easily derailed. It is a sensitive topic and one that evokes emotions.

The previous topic is locked and unstickied, however it is still in the Green Tea forum and available to read.

Also note, I have not pointed a finger of blame at anyone, so please don't go there. Let's just move on. Thanks.

Take a deep breath and have a cup of sencha before posting. This topic is focused positively on Japanese tea. If you are reading this topic, I think you want to drink and enjoy Japanese tea.

Please:

Keep posts relevent to the topic and as factual as possible.

When posting alleged facts, cite your source(s) as much as possible. If posting a blog, the blog entry must also cite sources. This will not be a general opinion topic whether it is a member or a blogger.

No political bashing. Technically politics is not a permissible topic of discussion on TC. I am invoking this rule.

Members may respond to fact based posts by other members, for instance to state their personal plan of action or inaction given a certain set of circumstances.

More to come as needed. Offending posts will be deleted, period. This is not an attempt at censorship, it is simply to keep this topic FOCUSED on the topic ... and to prevent flame wars in a volatile and very important topic.

Aug 25th, '11, 18:16

Re: Radiation and Tea in Japan

by AdamMY » Aug 25th, '11, 18:16

From the following site: http://tea-charaku.com/production_areas/

One thing that occurred to me to find and post is a map of regions of Japan that produce tea, and the quantity of tea they produce. From the previous thread and many news articles published there, there have been reported cases of excessive levels of radiation found in Shizuoka. To my knowledge this has been the farthest set of tea fields in which many (or any?) batches of tea were found to have excessive levels of radioactive material. As such, I would be hesitant of anything from the growing regions north and east of Shizuoka.

As the colors on the map indicate the amount of tea produced in each area. While Shizuoka is a large production area, most of the areas I listed as being skeptical of, as they are much closer to the Fukushima plant being north and east of Shizuoka produce much less tea than the area's south and west. While blending does happen, I venture to guess most blenders would be hesitant to blend in tea from the known problem areas. I say this in part because due to Japanese history they are potentially one of the most sensitive nations to the possible effects of radiation.

I feel this map is beneficial in showing that there are still many many growing regions which are minimally affected by the problems with the Nuclear power plant.

Aug 25th, '11, 18:55

by Chip » Aug 25th, '11, 18:55

Thanks Adam!

There are other regions not labeled that are significant producers. Is there another map we could past along with this one that shows all the "players?" (Also perhaps the location of Fukushima)

This would be most helpful to those who are newer to Japanese tea or simply never had the opportunity to view maps of growing regions of Japan. But this really helps to put things into perspective.

Thanks in advance ...

Aug 25th, '11, 19:08

by AdamMY » Aug 25th, '11, 19:08

Chip, sadly I could find no map that was ideal for both instances, so I will add this map:

The power plant is in the region numbered 8. Shizuokua is the region numbered 38. In the map in the first post Kagoshima is the other dark blue area, which in this map is number 18.

Aug 25th, '11, 19:56

by Chip » Aug 25th, '11, 19:56

That is actually perfect ... readers can simply cross reference. Thanks again.

Aug 25th, '11, 22:19

by Chip » Aug 25th, '11, 22:19

This info in addition to the maps posted by Adam should help pinpoint where 99% of your Japanese teas are coming from geographically. Please let me know of any errors or additions. Remember, we are trying to keep this relevant to the West. :mrgreen:

The three most common regions/prefectures for Japanese tea to the West are Uji, Kyoto; Kagoshima; Shizuoka

A few of the more common tea producing regions that are not prefectures (prefecture listed here to help illustrate where they are located) Prefectures are bold to help:

Uji is in Kyoto (as shown on the first map)
Ureshino is in Saga (Kyushu Island)
Yame is in Fukuoka (Kyushu Island)

And a few lesser know regions/prefectures whose teas are found in the West, although rarely. Prefectures are bold:

Kumamoto - some sencha
Mie
Miyazaki - some sencha
Nara
Nishio, Aichi - some matcha comes from here, neighbors Shizuoka prefecture
Sayama, Saitama - some sencha, but very uncommon. The sencha is most often named Sayama. North and east of Shizuoka.

Aug 26th, '11, 10:01

by fdrx » Aug 26th, '11, 10:01

Aug 26th, '11, 10:13

by JBaymore » Aug 26th, '11, 10:13

I think it is probably a good thing to point out that the previous hot link is a "simulation", not an actual measurement based study. It is easy to focus on the nice graphics and miss that statement in the text.

best,

.............john

Aug 26th, '11, 10:28

by sherubtse » Aug 26th, '11, 10:28

Chip wrote:This info in addition to the maps posted by Adam should help pinpoint where 99% of your Japanese teas are coming from geographically. Please let me know of any errors or additions. Remember, we are trying to keep this relevent to the West. :mrgreen:

The three most common regions/prefectures for Japanese tea to the West are Uji, Kyoto; Kagoshima; Shizuoka

A few of the more common tea producing regions that are not prefectures (prefecture listed here to help illustrate where they are located) Prefectures are bold to help:

Uji is in Kyoto (as shown on the first map)
Ureshino is in Saga (Kyushu Island)
Yame is in Fukuoka (Kyushu Island)

And a few lesser know regions/prefectures whose teas are found in the West, although rarely. Prefectures are bold:

Kumamoto - some sencha
Mie
Miyazaki - some sencha
Nara
Nishio, Aichi - some matcha comes from here, neighbors Shizuoka prefecture
Sayama, Saitama - some sencha, but very uncommon. The sencha is most often named Sayama. North and east of Shizuoka.
Many thanks for the great summary, Chip! This is a real help for us who are just starting to learn about Japanese teas. :mrgreen:

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Sep 9th, '11, 21:47

by bambooforest » Sep 9th, '11, 21:47

I thought the video on this link was pretty good and relevant: http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html

I'm not saying it's accurate, but it's one side of the story.

Sep 11th, '11, 14:15

by mlafranc » Sep 11th, '11, 14:15

The footage showing the tea harvest is pretty cool.

Oct 3rd, '11, 08:41

About the credibility...

by a.serrao » Oct 3rd, '11, 08:41

Moderator edit: I am merging this topic into the Radiation topic already open.

How can I trust a country that possibly sells radioactive tea blended with non radioactive tea?
This is exactly what should be AVOIDED.
On the contrary it's actually been done by some unscrupulous seller in Japan.

Source: http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2011/10/dilu ... ended.html

http://savechild.net/wp-content/uploads ... 0/otya.gif

Oct 3rd, '11, 09:47

Re: About the credibility...

by Chip » Oct 3rd, '11, 09:47

a.serrao wrote:How can I trust a country that possibly sells radioactive tea blended with non radioactive tea?

Again you are citing the same blog ...

You are generalizing when you say, "How can I trust a country ... " since it is not the country that is doing it, but a manufacturer.

If this is true, then the name(s) of any company conducting such a practice should be disclosed. It is likely in this case that it is an obscure company or one selling w/i Japan only since to export would be overtly risky.

Again, know your vendor, ask questions.

Also to take this generalization steps further ... what of Indian and Chinese tea? Talk about shady practices that cause contamination of tea, there are manufacturers within these countries who sell contaminated tea.

... what about food ... the list can go on and on.

I am not saying to ignore such things, but keep it in perspective and know your vendor (choose one as close to the source as possible) and ask the right questions. Reward those with your business.

Oct 3rd, '11, 10:23

Re: About the credibility...

by David R. » Oct 3rd, '11, 10:23

a.serrao wrote:How can I trust a country that possibly sells radioactive tea blended with non radioactive tea?

I think everybody understands that you are not going to buy japanese tea any time soon, so really why bother posting about it ?

Maybe I shouldn't comment, but your remark about the japanese country really saddens me...

Oct 3rd, '11, 10:53
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Oct 3rd, '11, 10:53

Obviously, it's bothering him still. I think he's still trying to justify his position by any means possible, which is why he painted the whole country with a broad stroke. Complains about Japan, yet cites this article which is an expose by a Japanese newspaper.

That said, I don't doubt there are companies doing this. There is a lot of Shizuoka tea left over from 2011 that hasn't been dumped. It's not as easy as burning it either. I'm going to be extra vigilant in this regard.

I heard the third harvest has practically no cesium in it anymore. I think the real threat isn't that tea which will be harvested next year, but this mixing thing does have potential. Most likely, my shop will not sell Shizuoka tea in 2012 either, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Anyway, I think I'll go have a cup of delicious Yame kabusecha. :lol:

+ Post Reply