A case for older (cheaper) tea?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

For best health benefits, I would ...

Drink later flushes of green tea if they have higher catechin levels
4%
Drink 1st flush if it has more catechins
4%
Drink more 1st flush to make up for lower catechins
4%
Drink more later flushes to make up for lower catechins
No votes
I will just drink what I like, 1st flush for me
78%
I will drink what I like, later flushes for me
No votes
Other
11%

Total votes: 27

Sep 28th, '11, 16:58

Re: A case for older (cheaper) tea?

by a.serrao » Sep 28th, '11, 16:58

Chip wrote: I will check his settings.

He might have opted to not receive PMs at some point and does not realize it ... likely due to not enough FF Sencha. :lol: Or too much Bancha.
Too much catechins :mrgreen:
I've modified the settings. Try now, teaisme...

Sep 29th, '11, 04:38
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Sep 29th, '11, 04:38

My friend Yuusuke from Tsuen tea contacted the Kyoto tea research center to ask about catechin levels today. When it comes to obscure facts about green tea, even a 24th generation tea master has to check into these things. Now when I did my research, I am sure I read that first harvest green tea was higher in catechins, but perhaps I confused it with something else - it's been 9 years since I researched this topic. Regardless, catechin levels as per the Kyoto tea research center:

First Harvest: 14.2%
Second Harvest: 19.8%
Third Harvest: 19.7%

They said it varies significantly depending on growing conditions, amount of fertilizer used, etc. The reason: Tea growers put maximum effort into the first harvest which without doubt is considered the best, at least for taste purposes. Growing conditions are a little different - they do tend to shade more down here in Uji. Shizuoka - could be a different story. The bottled green tea makers use 2nd and 3rd harvest tea so that they can brag about the catechin levels. 2nd and 3rd harvest tea, while it may be higher in catechins, is not considered to be on the same level as first harvest quality-wise. If all you care about is catechins and don't want to drink an extra 1/3 of a cup to make up for it, then you should stick with 2nd flush.

Practically speaking what does this mean? It means if you drank a 300 ml cup of 1st flush green tea, in order to reach the same level of catechins that are in 2nd flush green tea you would have to drink an additional whopping 16.8 ml of it!

So a.serrao - Congratulations, you were actually right on this detail. Unfortunately, since you stated that you won't drink green tea from 2011 based on (still) faulty logic regarding the radiation danger of Japanese green teas, your catechin levels from Japanese green tea will be exactly "zero" this year.

Sep 29th, '11, 06:26

by a.serrao » Sep 29th, '11, 06:26

Kevangogh wrote:
So a.serrao - Congratulations, you were actually right on this detail. Unfortunately, since you stated that you won't drink green tea from 2011 based on (still) faulty logic regarding the radiation danger of Japanese green teas, your catechin levels from Japanese green tea will be exactly "zero" this year.
You're right Kevin.
BUT (there is always a "BUT")... :mrgreen:
I'll drink chinese, indian, taiwanese and vietnamese green teas...
You know, Kevin, green tea is NOT ONLY japanese green tea...
So, also this year it appears that I'll get my share of catechins (on the verge of being intoxicating (see above) :mrgreen: - I'm kidding of course).
:D

Sep 29th, '11, 09:04

by Tead Off » Sep 29th, '11, 09:04

Now I want to know which first flush green teas rank highest in catechins:
Japanese
Korean
Chinese
?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sep 29th, '11, 09:10

by sherubtse » Sep 29th, '11, 09:10

Kevangogh wrote:My friend Yuusuke from Tsuen tea contacted the Kyoto tea research center to ask about catechin levels today. When it comes to obscure facts about green tea, even a 24th generation tea master has to check into these things. Now when I did my research, I am sure I read that first harvest green tea was higher in catechins, but perhaps I confused it with something else - it's been 9 years since I researched this topic. Regardless, catechin levels as per the Kyoto tea research center:

First Harvest: 14.2%
Second Harvest: 19.8%
Third Harvest: 19.7%

They said it varies significantly depending on growing conditions, amount of fertilizer used, etc. The reason: Tea growers put maximum effort into the first harvest which without doubt is considered the best, at least for taste purposes. Growing conditions are a little different - they do tend to shade more down here in Uji. Shizuoka - could be a different story. The bottled green tea makers use 2nd and 3rd harvest tea so that they can brag about the catechin levels. 2nd and 3rd harvest tea, while it may be higher in catechins, is not considered to be on the same level as first harvest quality-wise. If all you care about is catechins and don't want to drink an extra 1/3 of a cup to make up for it, then you should stick with 2nd flush.

Practically speaking what does this mean? It means if you drank a 300 ml cup of 1st flush green tea, in order to reach the same level of catechins that are in 2nd flush green tea you would have to drink an additional whopping 16.8 ml of it!
Thanks for looking into this, Kevin. It makes for interesting reading.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Sep 29th, '11, 10:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 29th, '11, 10:17

Good, now that we have this cleared up, can we get back to drinking tea? :mrgreen:

Hm ... but wait, I am conducting a tasting of all FF Japanese greens! AND one is Kabuse!!! Hopefully the participants are not reading this topic!!! :twisted:

Sep 29th, '11, 11:07

by Nathaniel87 » Sep 29th, '11, 11:07

We all are I'm sure, but anyone who loves tea enough to participate in an online forum and send money over the internet for 10g samples of a handful of Japanese green teas likely have some other motivation for tea drinking beyond health benefits. :wink:

Nonetheless, this was an interesting discussion...

Sep 29th, '11, 11:55

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 29th, '11, 11:55

and a happy ending! whoo! I was afraid that a few threads on here were secretly being posted on by members of parliament. (meant in jest, of course).

Now lets go enjoy some good green tea! :D :D :D

Sep 29th, '11, 14:01

by a.serrao » Sep 29th, '11, 14:01

Tead Off wrote:Now I want to know which first flush green teas rank highest in catechins:
Japanese
Korean
Chinese
?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Impossible to answer, and you know it.
8)

Sep 29th, '11, 15:15

by teaisme » Sep 29th, '11, 15:15

sherubtse wrote:Thanks for looking into this, Kevin. It makes for interesting reading.
Yeap ditto thanks for putting in the extra effort/time for this. I bet your friend Yuusuke gave you a raised eyebrow look when you asked him to look into this :wink:

Sep 29th, '11, 16:57

by bambooforest » Sep 29th, '11, 16:57

These are very interesting findings, thank you Kevin.

Now to the matter at hand...

I have a few hundred grams of bancha that's as fresh as can be. Knowing many tea drinker's proclivity to getting the most optimal health benefits possible, after much consideration, I've concluded I'd like to do, what they call around here, a "good deed."

I have 300 grams of truly fresh bancha, 2nd flush.

I'm willing to trade these 300 grams of unopened tea for 3 bags of first harvest sencha, preferably harvested in Uji or Kagoshima. Though, I am flexible on this.

If you'are interested, send me a pm and we can get the ball rolling.

Yours,

Bamboo Forest

Sep 29th, '11, 17:20

by teaisme » Sep 29th, '11, 17:20

I can't tell if your being serious :)

Sep 29th, '11, 17:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 29th, '11, 17:39

teaisme wrote:I can't tell if your being serious :)
+1 ... do you have a bridge to sell as well?

Sep 29th, '11, 17:49

by a.serrao » Sep 29th, '11, 17:49

bambooforest wrote: I have 300 grams of truly fresh bancha, 2nd flush.

I'm willing to trade these 300 grams of unopened tea for 3 bags of first harvest sencha, preferably harvested in Uji or Kagoshima. Though, I am flexible on this.
Yes, if you pay the difference in price between FF and SF.

P.S.: I have got Shizuoka FF sencha. Do you mind it because of radiation issues? :twisted:

Oct 5th, '11, 11:03

by j-z » Oct 5th, '11, 11:03

wow what a funy thread, maybe it should be called 'an inconvenient truth' lol. hey so now what do i do with my 1st grade dragon well oh i guess i better trade it to someone for their 3rd grade dragonwell lol. so to be serious now does this mean then that i dont have to take so much caffeine or spend so much tons of ($$$$$) and i get just as healthy amount of stuff from green tea, thats awesome.

+ Post Reply