Matcha beginner

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 13th, '12, 12:11
Vendor Member

Re: Matcha beginner

by Kevangogh » May 13th, '12, 12:11

The guy in the video is Yusuke Tsuen, 24th generation of the Tsuen tea family, the oldest tea shop in Japan and probably the world. We were testing out a sample of matcha that ended up becoming our organic Kaoru Supreme, a supplier had brought it to the teashop for us to try. He was making a bowl for us to all drink and taste on the spot, this wasn't the ceremony per se, it was simply in informal bowl of matcha. I whipped out my iPhone and shot the video. That said, he does study the tea ceremony by an extremely well known teacher, one who also teaches to the Geisha and Maiko in nearby Kyoto.

May 17th, '12, 14:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » May 17th, '12, 14:35

robbie_olive,
thanks for the detailed information. it has been interesting to read your contributions.
you wrote:
"if you're looking down into the chawan, you're whisking from 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock"
i can't quite picture this movement. could you try to explain it again differently.
thanks.

May 18th, '12, 00:34

by robbie_olive » May 18th, '12, 00:34

rdl wrote:robbie_olive,
thanks for the detailed information. it has been interesting to read your contributions.
you wrote:
"if you're looking down into the chawan, you're whisking from 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock"
i can't quite picture this movement. could you try to explain it again differently.
thanks.

I have found a Youtube clip of me doing koicha. Unfortunately the whisking action for koicha is only for about 6-7 seconds (as the clip was truncated), but it might give you a better idea of what I was trying to convey. I think a moving image will present a much better instruction than trying to write it down.
http://youtu.be/f4rDW8E6yI0

Look very closely at the clip at 1:30, where I begin to whisk the koicha.

Hope that helps,
Cheers!

+ Post Reply