Matcha, buy it now or wait for 2012?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

May 12th, '12, 02:58

Matcha, buy it now or wait for 2012?

by Fireflower » May 12th, '12, 02:58

i like to buy a matcha in this period, i can do it or it will be better to wait that will be released 2012 harvest?

when it would become?

May 12th, '12, 03:53

Re: Matcha, buy it now or wait for 2012?

by robbie_olive » May 12th, '12, 03:53

If you needed maccha desperately right now, I'd say buy some of the 2011 harvest.

BUT, if you wanted to get the 2012 harvest of maccha, my guess is that you would have to wait until autumn to be able to get it. The only reasons why I can think this would be the case is that the process of picking, processing and grinding the 'tencha' would be very time-consuming.

Secondly, that time of year also coincides with tea ceremony of 'kuchikiri', which is the most important tea ceremony held by tea people. Before the first harvest of tea is picked, the tea masters will leave a 'chatsubo' (tea jar) at the house of the 'chashi' (the people who produce the tea).

Once the maccha has been produced later in the year, the 'chashi' will place several kinds of maccha in small bags, including tencha leaves, packed into the tea jar, ready to be given back to the tea ceremony people.

I hope that helps.

May 12th, '12, 03:53

by robbie_olive » May 12th, '12, 03:53

If you needed maccha desperately right now, I'd say buy some of the 2011 harvest.

BUT, if you wanted to get the 2012 harvest of maccha, my guess is that you would have to wait until autumn to be able to get it. The only reasons why I can think this would be the case is that the process of picking, processing and grinding the 'tencha' would be very time-consuming.

Secondly, that time of year also coincides with tea ceremony of 'kuchikiri', which is the most important tea ceremony held by tea people. Before the first harvest of tea is picked, the tea masters will leave a 'chatsubo' (tea jar) at the house of the 'chashi' (the people who produce the tea).

Once the maccha has been produced later in the year, the 'chashi' will place several kinds of maccha in small bags, including tencha leaves, packed into the tea jar, ready to be given back to the tea ceremony people.

I hope that helps.

May 12th, '12, 05:50
Vendor Member

by Xell » May 12th, '12, 05:50

You can get it now, don't bother with waiting, unless you plan on getting whole year worth of matcha. 2012 matcha can be bought quite soon, but from what i heard it will have rather grassy flavor, same for gyokuro. Best drinking time during fall. I didn't try yet fresh harvest gyokuro or matcha, most likely i'll try it this year, interesting to feel difference myself.

Recently opened can of 2011 matcha and it's still emerald green color with fresh aroma, it was ground several month ago.

May 14th, '12, 16:53

by Fireflower » May 14th, '12, 16:53

thank you for your suggestions, i order from maiko tea a tin of matsu no midori and one of kyo mukashi.

May 25th, '12, 14:29

by edkrueger » May 25th, '12, 14:29

Another thing to note. The matcha that is released and processed in 2012 may or not be harvested in 2012. Some matcha will be processed with tencha leaves from multiple years. Matcha that is released in 2012 before autumn 2012, will almost certainty contain no leaf from the 2012. Tencha (this goes for gyokuro and to a lesser degree sencha) needs some time to mature.

+ Post Reply