What gives matcha creamy taste? Creamy cultivar?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 25th, '12, 14:20

Re: What gives matcha creamy taste? Creamy cultivar?

by linping » Jul 25th, '12, 14:20

Thank you for every answer.
So what is the creamiest tea or matcha you have taste so far.
Personally i find Yama no Ibuki cultivar give very creamy taste , like there is a thick cream or oil in my taste. Compare to other matcha with diffrent cultivar on the same price or even higher Yama no Ibuki cultivar really give a creamy taste. However i find it lack in aroma

Sep 16th, '12, 20:44

by riccaicedo » Sep 16th, '12, 20:44

By creamy do you mean thick? Then as posted earlier just use more matcha, make koicha.

If you're thinking about foam, then the main agents are probably protein and amino acids in matcha.

How do I know this?
Because I'm a fan of cooking and cocktail mixing. Egg whites are typically used for foamy texture because of the high protein content. Look up the recipe for a pisco sour to see what I mean.

May 31st, '21, 17:34

by matchanyc » May 31st, '21, 17:34

Just bought the Kettl brand Hanaka and boy, is it creamy. Like nothing I've tried before, and I've tried many.
Actually, it's a bit too creamy for my taste (and lacking in vegetal flavor). The creaminess makes for a milk chocolate flavor--which isn't my favorite either.
As for why, Kell's suggestion that it's the saponin sounds good to me. I've got some pretty fine and thick foam on matcha, but it's never tasted creamy as a result.

Aug 20th, '21, 05:17

by mutroke » Aug 20th, '21, 05:17

Generally the more expensive matchas are more sweet and creamy, but they are also quite WEAK and soft, so they do not increase your focus. The cheaper cooking matcha while not as "creamy", will often be stronger, bitter and help your focus and relaxation more than the gourmet expensive matcha. I tasted many Marukyu matchas and they taste nice, but that is all you get from them, a nice taste with absolutely no focus increase, you just drink a nice looking liquid that does next to nothing. Try more brands, but do not think that the most expensive will be the best, it will almost always be the softest and lacking in power and punch. I think they managed to advertise soft creamy matcha as best, to make more money out of it, knowing people will look mostly on the taste and overlook the increase in focus.

+ Post Reply