Sencha for people who don't like umami

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 14th, '13, 20:04

Re: Sencha for people who don't like umami

by edkrueger » Jun 14th, '13, 20:04

Too much fertilizer can cause very rapid, but lanky growth in plants. Usually of a yellow color. I would guess in the this might produce bland (low umami) leaves. That was why I thought 3.

Jun 16th, '13, 05:42

by David R. » Jun 16th, '13, 05:42

I was under the impression that it was actually the opposite : fertiliser l leads to huge fatty leaves, while none will lead to small yellow leaves. The nitrogen, which is the base of most fertilisers, is supposed to be responsible for umami.

Jun 16th, '13, 14:39

by edkrueger » Jun 16th, '13, 14:39

Well I don't know about tea in particular, but if you overdose ferts you will have problems like lanky yellow leaves and rapid thin growth in many plants.

Jun 17th, '13, 14:23

by Risdt » Jun 17th, '13, 14:23

Too much N --> long and slim (weak) vegetative plants or too much nutrients in general can also lead to reverse osmosis which causes the yellow leave.

Not enough N --> Plant will grow slow, leaves might turn yellow as well because of 'underfeeding'.

It's mainly Kalium that makes the leaves grow thick/dark green + the amount and spectrum of light(mainly the red/farred ratio).

I don't believe in tea grown with barely any nutrients nor in tea with too much. A plant just needs healthy fertiliziation just like a human needs quality food. Cows taste the best as well when they had some nice grass and quality corn to eat, not when they are near starvation or overly fat.

+ Post Reply