Green Tea, how much?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 11th, '05, 04:39

Green Tea, how much?

by Rosy » Jun 11th, '05, 04:39

I have been reading your site and i have not found the answer to my question. You say Green Tea will help with weight loss but how much do I need to drink a day? Can I drink you ANTEADOTE and how much a day. I'm not a big tea person but I'm willing to try it.

Jun 11th, '05, 21:16
Adagio

by ilya » Jun 11th, '05, 21:16

Rosy,

Here's an excerpt from a 1999 American Journal of Clinical Nurtition article:
Compared to the placebo and caffeine, green tea extract consumption produced a significant 4% increase in 24-hour energy expenditure. If you consume 2,000 calories per day and don't gain or lose weight (you're in energy balance), an increase of 4% would translate roughly into an 80-calorie daily difference. Over a year, this could result in 89 pounds of weight loss.
You can find more information at http://www.adagio.com/info/health_benefits.html

Jun 14th, '05, 10:16

by kellian » Jun 14th, '05, 10:16

Hi!
most of the research done seems to say that you need 4 cups a day to reap the health benefits like reduced risk of cancer, hypertension, blood pressure etc... check out www.teahealth.co.uk

This didn't make a lot of sense to me, but the latest study released this Jan seems to say that it's "catechins" in the tea that make you lose weight. This study said that daily consumption of 690mg of catechins over 12 weeks resulted in weight loss. maybe you know how to measure 'catechins' in your tea. I don't. Anyways, 4 cups seems to be the accepted amount for every other health benefit. Here's the study if you're interested!

By the way, in China- oolong and Pu Er are known to be the weight loss teas. (Especially pu er if you're up for it) Green works too, but it's slower.

Jul 15th, '05, 23:35

by PeteVu » Jul 15th, '05, 23:35

I've also heard that Pu erh is a better "diet" tea, but only slightly, definately not enough to sacrafice a variety of tea in your life. I get this question alot from people who are attracted to green tea because of its health benefits, and i always tell them, chose on taste! If u stick with one you are likely to get bored and simply stop drinking it and that would be worse than drinking another, possibly slightly less beneficial tea.

Jul 15th, '05, 23:50

by PeteVu » Jul 15th, '05, 23:50

also, as you search for teas for diet, you might come across "diet teas" that are part of a scientific formula boasting huge weight loss in a short ammount of time. As many other things, if its too good to be true, it probably is. Ive had a few female friends who tried these specialty "diet teas" and either spend more time in the bathroom than they ever wanted to (their diet tea acted as a laxative), while the other girls clearly had personality changes in the direction of a caffine pill, including iritability and anxiousness. Please please dont pollute your body with these "modern miracles." Nothing really beats a good loose leaf tea and you can trust that loose leaf teas like the ones u find on this site wont hurt you at all.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jul 16th, '05, 13:53

Re: Green Tea, how much?

by Marlene » Jul 16th, '05, 13:53

Rosy wrote:I'm not a big tea person .
Then find an alternitve. There are pleanty of more effective weight loss programs out there.

I'll never forget the day I was making tea in Adagio's cup and filter thingy at lunch at work. I was watching the leaves swirl around and unfold when a co-worker came up to me and asked "what's that?" I responded "it's tea" then she asked "what's it do?" what's it do? what's it do? what the heck is she talking about? Oh yeah...she's one of those who eats certain foods to get certain effects. I eat food because I like it.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Jul 16th, '05, 16:31

Re: Green Tea, how much?

by PeteVu » Jul 16th, '05, 16:31

Marlene wrote: "what's that?" I responded "it's tea" then she asked "what's it do?" what's it do? what's it do? what the heck is she talking about? Oh yeah...she's one of those who eats certain foods to get certain effects. I eat food because I like it.
word.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Jul 18th, '05, 14:00

Ballerina Poo Tea

by Mike B » Jul 18th, '05, 14:00

There's this stuff in the "Ethnic" food aisle of the grocery store I go to, calling itself the dieter's tea. The box is green and has this image of a ballerina. Being, uh, big boned, if you will, I thought, "Heck: I can totally drink tea for weight loss. This is the get-thin-quick scheme I've been looking for!"

Then, I got the tea home. And then I read the warning.

"May cause diarrhea."

Now, I'm not a ballerina (for one thing, see my comment about being "big boned") -- nor do I have any real aspirations to be one. But I have to believe that, with all the jumping, running, twisting, and dancing going on that the last thing you'd want to worry about as a ballerina is diarrhea. I know that I sure don't want to have to contend with it.

Anyway, I kept the box of tea, mostly as a reminder to always read the label.

Jul 18th, '05, 18:13

by PeteVu » Jul 18th, '05, 18:13

atleast u didnt actually drink any like a few of my unlucky friends. what are those companies thinking? making people sick AND destroying tea. for shame!

+ Post Reply