Starting with Matcha!

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Starting with Matcha!

Postby mcrdotcom » Jul 2nd, '14, 06:38

It's now well over a year since my tea journey started, and my knowledge of Chinese tea has grown exponentially, and there is still sooooo much more to learn. However, I'm feeling a little break from the norm is in order.

I only branched into the Japanese tea world a few months ago with some basic teaware from O-Cha, and some of their medium and premium quality sencha/gyokuro. I tried my hand at some shincha this spring, and I love the stuff. But now I want something entirely new, and I think matcha is unique enough for this purpose! :D

So, I'm looking for some good grade, but not ridiculously expensive matcha, along with the general utensils. I have a taste for tea, so I don't really see the point in getting some low grade tea that even when brewed to the best of anyone's ability, is not fantastic. I have my eye on the O-Cha matcha starter kit because it has the important utensils, and I love their sencha and gyokuro. So would those of you experienced in the matcha world be kind enough to recommend a good quality matcha from their selection, that isn't awfully hard to brew, but will be nice when brewed well? :D Something I can practice with, and get a good reward for doing well :lol:

Thank's a million! :D
mcrdotcom

Re: Starting with Matcha!

Postby sherubtse » Jul 2nd, '14, 11:04

I believe that many people have enjoyed the Uji Matcha Kiri no Mori. I have tried it, but found it too bitter (and so over-rated).

Perhaps you should look at the reviews that accompany all of the matchas on the O-Cha site, and go from there. Having said that, however, if I wanted a matcha from O-Cha, I would likely opt for the Uji Matcha Kiku Mukashi.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
sherubtse

Re: Starting with Matcha!

Postby entropyembrace » Jul 3rd, '14, 01:31

sherubtse wrote:I believe that many people have enjoyed the Uji Matcha Kiri no Mori. I have tried it, but found it too bitter (and so over-rated).

Perhaps you should look at the reviews that accompany all of the matchas on the O-Cha site, and go from there. Having said that, however, if I wanted a matcha from O-Cha, I would likely opt for the Uji Matcha Kiku Mukashi.

I think the O-Cha starter kit is definitely the way to go, it's what I did and never regretted it. Add a matcha sifter if you don't have a fine mesh basket insert from one of your tea pots and you've got everything you need with a nice 10% discount, and you can choose which matcha, bowl, and whisk you want :)

Uji Matcha Kiri no Mori is what I usually recommend to people not sure of what matcha to buy. It was my 2nd matcha and still one of my favourites. I never noticed much bitterness in it, but I'm not very sensitive to bitterness either. It has a nice creamy mouthfeel that I really like. Kiku Mukashi is a very good matcha too, it's a bit milder so is good if you're sensitive to bitterness, but it's a bit more expensive.
entropyembrace

Instant Messenger

Permissions