Hot water machines

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jul 3rd, '14, 09:13

Hot water machines

by beforewisdom » Jul 3rd, '14, 09:13

Hi all,

My new office does not allow electric water heaters at our desks.

There is an industrial coffee machine in the kitchen ( no stove, just microwaves ) that has a hot water setting.

Not hot enough for black tea, but it seems like most green teas only require water at 170F.

Has anyone had experience with these machines? Do they generally give water that is close to 170F?

Jul 3rd, '14, 10:17

Re: Hot water machines

by Noonie » Jul 3rd, '14, 10:17

I use one all the time for brewing sencha. While I've never measured the temperature coming out of that tap, I know that when I use the same tea at home (where I have a variable temp kettle) and at work, I 'can' get the same results. Here is what I do:

- pour water into my kyusu, rinse and empty in the sink
- pour water again into the kyusu (walk back to desk...people looking at cool kyusu have curious questions and then I try and convert them 8) )
- after 30s or so, empty kyusu into my cup, then back into kyusu, and then back into cup (this cools the water down to where I like it, you can experiment with what works for you)
- I add leaf and pour from the cup into the kyusu and time it
- for second infusion I add water to cup...wait a few minutes and then add to kyusu for second steeping (I don't time this, I'm not very picky)
- if I want a third steeping, I add water to my cup and wait a shorter time before pouring it into the kyusu (the sencha likes the hotter water for the third steeping IMO)

Other minor adjustment you can make is to vary how long you wait to pour the water from this tap based on where it was in the heating cycle...like if the 'heating' light comes on during or just after you use it, then it was a bit cooler than if you use it just after a heating cycle.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jul 3rd, '14, 10:44

by debunix » Jul 3rd, '14, 10:44

Get a quick-reading digital thermometer, and check the temp from the hot water tap, and then you'll have a better idea of what you can do with it. And Noonie makes a great point--check whether the temp is variable during the heating cycle. Even if it doesn't have a handy 'heating now' light, you may hear more agitation in the water tank when the heat comes on, unless it's one that heats the water only as it enters the tap, like office water coolers with a hot water tap do.

Jul 3rd, '14, 11:20

by hopeofdawn » Jul 3rd, '14, 11:20

Another method, and one I've used with more delicate greens at the office, is to put a splash of cold water in first, then fill my vacuum thermos (can't have open cups in the office, more's the pity) with hot water. That way I avoid scalding the leaves too much and also knock the temp down a notch or two.

Jul 12th, '14, 09:57

by beforewisdom » Jul 12th, '14, 09:57

Can I take it from the replies that office hot water machines will give me hot water at least at 170F?

If not, how do "you all" get your water hot enough when electric hot pots are not allowed?

Jul 12th, '14, 23:07

by hopeofdawn » Jul 12th, '14, 23:07

You can microwave the water, if you need to--but honestly, I've found that most coffee machines/hot water machines produce water more than hot enough for all my teas.

Jul 14th, '14, 09:23

by MEversbergII » Jul 14th, '14, 09:23

I just microwave it, personally.

M.

Jul 16th, '14, 12:42

by Groucho » Jul 16th, '14, 12:42

Our machines vary depending on usage. When there's very few users, it probably runs near 190ºF (smoking) while, after heavy usage, it could drop to near 140ºF (tepid).

Jul 16th, '14, 15:29

by Evan Draper » Jul 16th, '14, 15:29

beforewisdom wrote:Can I take it from the replies that office hot water machines will give me hot water at least at 170F?

If not, how do "you all" get your water hot enough when electric hot pots are not allowed?
GET NEW JOB

Jul 19th, '14, 15:03

by beforewisdom » Jul 19th, '14, 15:03

I took my thermometer in today.

I got lucky. The hot water machine produces water at 180F, so I only need to let that cool for a bit to make it perfect for various green teas.

+ Post Reply