Why are repeat steepings shorter?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Why are repeat steepings shorter?

Postby beforewisdom » Jul 29th, '14, 08:14

I've seen on a number of green tea bags to steep repeat pourings of green tea shorter than the first. Thirty seconds instead of a minute.

Why is that.

I would think that since a bunch of "tea essence" has already been removed, you would want longer, hotter steepings to do a more thorough extraction to get the smaller amount of remaining stuff out.
beforewisdom

Re: Why are repeat steepings shorter?

Postby blairswhitaker » Jul 29th, '14, 08:41

its usually a ratio of long-short-long. the first steep is doing a lot of rehydrating and opening up of the tea leaves, the second steep everything is fully opened up, hydrated, and still presumably quite warm, by the third steep things have let out most of their essence and now you need to go longer and or hotter to get a good steep.
blairswhitaker

Postby beforewisdom » Jul 29th, '14, 10:04

Very educational, thank you.

I guess going past 2-3 steepings takes a bit of practice to get the same cup of tea out of it.
beforewisdom

Postby miig » Jul 29th, '14, 15:44

Hm, i'm not super-experienced, but still, I rarely get the same cup of tea during subsequent steepings. Thats most likely to happen in rather simple teas, e.g. not so high-quality Shus. But I found that especially in Green Tea, there's a lot of change. Thats not to say that later steeps need to be of inferior quality, on the contrary, some Wulongs and Puers give off particularily lovely steeps later on. But there's almost always an evolution.
miig

Postby JBaymore » Jul 29th, '14, 15:47

"Why are repeat steepings shorter?"
Becasue you are all hyped up on the caffiene and can't wait. :lol:

best,

...............john
JBaymore

Instant Messenger

Permissions