Chasen - Chashaku advice needed

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Sep 24th, '14, 07:47

by theredbaron » Sep 24th, '14, 07:47

I want to start getting a bit into drinking matcha (not ceremonial, just casual drinking). I just bought today a nice and very reasonably priced Chawan on the auction house (i was the only bidder, but i like it :wink: ). Now of course i need some of the other equipment. My question is, are the cheaper, most likely Chinese made Chasen and Chashaku for the beginning alright to use, or is there a noticeable difference to the more expensive Japanese made ones? I might want to spend a bit more money on a mid to high grade matcha itself (i don't think for the first tries a top quality matcha is suitable, at least not as long as i have not experimented with the technical aspects of preparing it.
Attachments
G855_01.jpg
G855_01.jpg (21.85 KiB) Viewed 1997 times

Sep 24th, '14, 15:17

by Peacock » Sep 24th, '14, 15:17

The Chinese chasen and chashaku will work perfectly. They just do not look or feel as nice as the Japanese one's.

Sep 25th, '14, 13:35

Re: Chasen - Chashaku advice needed

by theredbaron » Sep 25th, '14, 13:35

Thank you :)

Sep 26th, '14, 04:26

by gunbuster363 » Sep 26th, '14, 04:26

From my experience, the Chinese Chasen have difficulty whipping up the matcha foam.

You need to realize the difference between a Chinese made chasen and one from Japan. The Japanese one are stronger thus could easily create matcha foam. If you wouldl like enjoy the process of making matcha, I would definitely recommend buying a Japanese chasen.

Sep 26th, '14, 07:59

by theredbaron » Sep 26th, '14, 07:59

Thanks a lot.

I have ordered this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pondate-Whi ... 0414608348

it says that it's from Japan, but i have my doubts. Nevertheless, it's cheap, and will have to do for the beginning. Could you recommend me a good Chasen, which i may buy later on?

Sep 27th, '14, 20:44

by Peacock » Sep 27th, '14, 20:44

It's expensive, but one of the best I've used for usucha.

http://www.yuuki-cha.com/teaware/matcha ... kyu-chasen

Sep 27th, '14, 22:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Sep 27th, '14, 22:07

http://www.kyoto-teramachi.or.jp/horaido/greentea.htm
redbaron,
Take a look at Horaido's shop. Click on "Catalog of utensils." Any tea shop you can find on line will have a selection. I am not 100% certain but every chasen case that has a simple label on it with a few characters, like yours, I believe is from China. Why DTH says product of Japan I question. Those I have ordered and those I have bought in Japan that are made in Japan have more labels and things written on them. Plus the cost, under about $20 is too inexpensive to be made in Japan. My only experience with a Chinese chasen was it didn't last very long. Otherwise it made fine matcha. I made the switch for the cost factor, higher up front but used much longer. And I do have my questions of bamboo from China.
That is also a very nice, subtle chawan. Interesting only you made a bid. Enjoy it!

Sep 27th, '14, 22:31

Re:

by theredbaron » Sep 27th, '14, 22:31

Peacock wrote:It's expensive, but one of the best I've used for usucha.

Nice!

I have bookmarked it straight away

Sep 27th, '14, 23:11

by theredbaron » Sep 27th, '14, 23:11

rdl wrote:http://www.kyoto-teramachi.or.jp/horaido/greentea.htm
redbaron,
Take a look at Horaido's shop. Click on "Catalog of utensils." Any tea shop you can find on line will have a selection. I am not 100% certain but every chasen case that has a simple label on it with a few characters, like yours, I believe is from China. Why DTH says product of Japan I question. Those I have ordered and those I have bought in Japan that are made in Japan have more labels and things written on them. Plus the cost, under about $20 is too inexpensive to be made in Japan. My only experience with a Chinese chasen was it didn't last very long. Otherwise it made fine matcha. I made the switch for the cost factor, higher up front but used much longer. And I do have my questions of bamboo from China.
That is also a very nice, subtle chawan. Interesting only you made a bid. Enjoy it!

Thanks.
Cost factor always plays a role ;)
I guess i will improve things as i go along, bit by bit. The basic set i have ordered, spread out from several sellers, set me back around 60 US$ including a mid range Matcha to start off with.

The auction house is strange, sometimes one still can get things really cheap. I have watched quite a few Chawan i liked, just to see them climb beyond my self set limits. This one fortunately spoke to me but nobody else. I guess it's because the seller stated that he didn't know the name of the potter, but i didn't want to buy a collector's piece anyhow, just a nice bowl to use. And if it turns out not as nice as in the pictures, it didn't break my wallet - just 25 US$.

Sep 27th, '14, 23:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by rdl » Sep 27th, '14, 23:35

theredbaron wrote:And if it turns out not as nice as in the pictures, it didn't break my wallet - just 25 US$.
I am sure it will be as nice as the photo indicates. I would have thought such a chawan would have gotten a few bids - so it seems it was just meant for you.

Sep 28th, '14, 00:06

by theredbaron » Sep 28th, '14, 00:06

rdl wrote:
theredbaron wrote:And if it turns out not as nice as in the pictures, it didn't break my wallet - just 25 US$.
I am sure it will be as nice as the photo indicates. I would have thought such a chawan would have gotten a few bids - so it seems it was just meant for you.

In the "Today's MatchaWan" topic i posted two more pics ( http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... start=1800 ). I was also quite surprised that nobody else placed a bit and didn't keep my hopes up. But i don't complain :)

Sep 28th, '14, 18:10

by Pig Hog » Sep 28th, '14, 18:10

Peacock wrote:It's expensive, but one of the best I've used for usucha.

I've used one of those for the past year or so, and find it a great chasen. I love the narrow handle and the straight ends don't break as easily.

+ Post Reply