Gyokuro storage

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Oct 5th, '14, 11:26

Gyokuro storage

by Bef » Oct 5th, '14, 11:26

Hi,

Just opened my first gyokuro and transfered it to one of o-cha's double lit metal tin.

Now, I'm wondering: how long can I keep it stored this way? If I drink about 4-5g every week, it means that I would need about 20 weeks to get through this 100g package...

Oct 5th, '14, 11:37

Re: Gyokuro storage

by kyarazen » Oct 5th, '14, 11:37

Bef wrote:Hi,

Just opened my first gyokuro and transfered it to one of o-cha's double lit metal tin.

Now, I'm wondering: how long can I keep it stored this way? If I drink about 4-5g every week, it means that I would need about 20 weeks to get through this 100g package...
every time you open the tin the tea will start to change. i would rather you split it into 5 packs/tins, i.e. one tin per month, and each to contain a couple sachets of oxygen absorber. the tins or packaging should be packed to the brim with minimal "air space"

Oct 5th, '14, 19:30

by Noonie » Oct 5th, '14, 19:30

I drink 5g, 3 times a week. I try and buy 50g packages. When I do get 100g I store unopened in a fridge, open and take out half, into an O-Cha tin, rest in a sealed package. I leave that until needed. I find the tea is fine throughout the time.

Oct 6th, '14, 19:53

by Bef » Oct 6th, '14, 19:53

kyarazen wrote:

every time you open the tin the tea will start to change. i would rather you split it into 5 packs/tins, i.e. one tin per month, and each to contain a couple sachets of oxygen absorber. the tins or packaging should be packed to the brim with minimal "air space"
This was my first idea, but I couldn't find such small tins... Do you have any idea where to get that online?

Oct 6th, '14, 19:55

by Bef » Oct 6th, '14, 19:55

Noonie wrote:I drink 5g, 3 times a week. I try and buy 50g packages. When I do get 100g I store unopened in a fridge, open and take out half, into an O-Cha tin, rest in a sealed package. I leave that until needed. I find the tea is fine throughout the time.
I'm curious - what kind of package do you use to keep the rest in the fridge?

Oct 6th, '14, 21:13

by JRS22 » Oct 6th, '14, 21:13

Bef wrote:This was my first idea, but I couldn't find such small tins... Do you have any idea where to get that online?
I bought a box of empty sample tins from Upton Tea to use for green teas. 3 of them fit in one of my washi containers.

i don't buy Japanese or Chinese tea from Upton anymore but they're a good source for herbals and rooibos to fill out an order.

Oct 7th, '14, 09:31

by Poseidon » Oct 7th, '14, 09:31

Bef wrote:
kyarazen wrote:

This was my first idea, but I couldn't find such small tins... Do you have any idea where to get that online?
http://www.jkteashop.com/canister_c21.html

Towards the bottom they have tin canisters that are pretty nice. I use them to travel with. The 25g canister is TINY. I personally like the 50-100g size.

Oct 7th, '14, 13:14

by Noonie » Oct 7th, '14, 13:14

Bef wrote:
Noonie wrote:I drink 5g, 3 times a week. I try and buy 50g packages. When I do get 100g I store unopened in a fridge, open and take out half, into an O-Cha tin, rest in a sealed package. I leave that until needed. I find the tea is fine throughout the time.
I'm curious - what kind of package do you use to keep the rest in the fridge?
I reseal the original bag, or fold over and clip it shut, then put this in a ziplock freezer bag.

Oct 7th, '14, 14:00

by bonescwa » Oct 7th, '14, 14:00

Upton has a case of small tins you can buy

Oct 7th, '14, 15:30

Re:

by JRS22 » Oct 7th, '14, 15:30

bonescwa wrote:Upton has a case of small tins you can buy
I fit 3 upton tins into 1 tall thin washi canister, so I'm dividing 100gm green tea into 3 containers, only one of which gets opened regularly.

Oct 8th, '14, 02:52

by Alex » Oct 8th, '14, 02:52

Bef wrote:
kyarazen wrote:

These are awesome

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... ucts_id=66

Oct 10th, '14, 12:29

by Bef » Oct 10th, '14, 12:29

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'm probably going to try to get one of these smaller tins that you suggested at some point.

In the meantime - I decided to drink that Yame Gyokuro every day so I will be able to go through that 100g in about 2 weeks, maybe 3 max. I'm storing this tea in one of o-cha's metal tins.

+ Post Reply